Valvoline Advanced Synthetic 5W30 Users ?

For users of Valvoline Synthetic 5W30 Advanced - what are your impressions to date ? The only two things that may appear to be "average" with the oil are : 1) NOACK is not the lowest but still meets GM D1/Gen2 specs ( 5K OCI's in everything I own now , so may standardize across the board with this Valvoline Advanced oil buying it on rollback at WM ... Your thoughts ?

The thing with the NOACK and Valvoline is when they last updated their PI sheet all of a sudden all most all the grades were marked
I haven't seen a VOA since SP came out, hopefully someone will send one in soon.

For users of Valvoline Synthetic 5W30 Advanced - what are your impressions to date ? ... Your thoughts ?

I have data and experience with this oil.

I've posted many times that this was the best 5W30 synthetic I've run in the past decade of trying most all of them. This was run in my Nissan Rogue Select - a very fussy, severely undersquare engine employing mechanical bucket tappets, a long timing chain with VVT and a super-long stroke of 4 inches. VAS oil provided power, economy and luggability with just a tad more racket than average.
I also ran this in 5W20 in our Subaru Impreza and did a couple UOA on that with a long drain interval 50% beyond the OM recommendation. The UOA showed wear at or below universal ave for that engine with much shorter OCI, and still serviceable TBN at 9300 miles.

Caveat: Formulas are always changing and with basestock interchanges you never know what you are getting bottle to bottle.

From my recent experience, I would place this oil WAY above the current darling RGT - for whatever that's worth.

NOACK is not the lowest but still meets GM D1/Gen2 specs (

The SN PLUS/GF5 versions of Valvoline Advanced Synthetic had among the lowest NOACK values in the industry across the board for all viscosities. I don't fault Valvoline for not having precise figures for NOACK as of yet, I surmise that with the changeover to SP/GF6 something must have changed with testing or something else that prevented accurate NOACK values from being made publicly available for their PI sheets to date.

I find it hard to believe that Valvoline went from being among the strongest brands for NOACK under SN PLUS/GF5 to just meeting the bare minimum standard for SP/GF6. There is more to that story that the public has just not been made aware of as of yet.

I have run this grade in SL, SM, SN in the Tacoma in my signature. The SL was left over from use in my Cutlass, so I used up all the SM I had in this grade and I am currently well into my SN stash. I run 5K - 6 month intervals as well. While not a measurable metric, my 4.0L V6 runs quiet on Valvoline Synthetic. It is not marketed as a long interval oil so I have not tried to use it that way. When it is on rollback at WM, I buy a few 5qt jugs.

The SN PLUS/GF5 versions of Valvoline Advanced Synthetic had among the lowest NOACK values in the industry across the board for all viscosities. I don't fault Valvoline for not having precise figures for NOACK as of yet, I surmise that with the changeover to SP/GF6 something must have changed with testing or something else that prevented accurate NOACK values from being made publicly available for their PI sheets to date.

I find it hard to believe that Valvoline went from being among the strongest brands for NOACK under SN PLUS/GF5 to just meeting the bare minimum standard for SP/GF6. There is more to that story that the public has just not been made aware of as of yet.

My understanding is that NOACK testing can be highly variable. I don’t recall seeing NOACK from PQIA in the Latest SP tests (I could be wrong or missed it).

I have no UOA to prove anything. I can tell you I've been using Valvoline products for over 30 years. Conventional and Synthetic from mildly modified V-8s to all my Duratec V-6s and all my small engines. I do 5K oil changes religiously on my vehicles and change yearly on the small engines. When I peek into the oil fill hole in the cars, It's very clean. Soon I have to change the oil on My 2017 Edge twin turbo and hope it will play nice with them. This is my first turbo engine. Just to add, My 1977 Thunderbird had a 351m. They have very weak valve springs. When pulling the head to replace it, The cylinder bores looked great and that was in the early 90's running Valvoline conventional only. That engine had 75k very hard miles on it also.

I use VAS 5w30 regularly in my Kia -- for this engine, it's the smoothest running oil I've found, and at around $21/jug, it's an excellent value.

At a 5K / 6 month OCI with a GDI engine ('17 Sonata 2.4L) should I be too concerned with viscosity break down with VAS 5W30 ? ... Otherwise , appears to be a superior synthetic 5W30 for the money .

At a 5K / 6 month OCI with a GDI engine ('17 Sonata 2.4L) should I be too concerned with viscosity break down with VAS 5W30 ? ... Otherwise , appears to be a superior synthetic 5W30 for the money .

In my Hyundai GDI (1.6L Gamma GF4D) 5000 miles is all that I am willing to push Valvoline Synthetic or any other oil to.

I'm a big fan of valvoline/Napa lubes personally, especially their HM lineup and "conventional" oils and just like knowing that they're an American company made here. I would have no issues at all pushing their advanced syn line past 6k even for the right car and conditions, and frankly that should be easy for it to do as long as it's not a GDI in severe conditions etc.

But is it any better for a 6k OCI than every other certified full syn on the shelf? As we all know by now that's highly unlikely lol!

My only gripe is that while their VWB and their red bottle HM blends are usually a solid value (excluding supertech of course) their Advanced rarely seems to go on sale and usually a "premium" price year round....hence why I said Napa too earlier ;). And since Napa branded oil is almost the same stuff, I have a UOA posted from a few months back from my brother's 2017 Forrester XT with direct injection with 6k miles on the oil in severe conditions through winter here in the Colorado mountains, and it did great and stayed in grade.

Use it, or any other brand and you'll be just fine. :)

I'm a big fan of valvoline/Napa lubes personally, especially their HM lineup and "conventional" oils and just like knowing that they're an American company made here. I would have no issues at all pushing their advanced syn line past 6k even for the right car and conditions, and frankly that should be easy for it to do as long as it's not a GDI in severe conditions etc.

But is it any better for a 6k OCI than every other certified full syn on the shelf? As we all know by now that's highly unlikely lol!

My only gripe is that while their VWB and their red bottle HM blends are usually a solid value (excluding supertech of course) their Advanced rarely seems to go on sale and usually a "premium" price year round....hence why I said Napa too earlier ;). And since Napa branded oil is almost the same stuff, I have a UOA posted from a few months back from my brother's 2017 Forrester XT with direct injection with 6k miles on the oil in severe conditions through winter here in the Colorado mountains, and it did great and stayed in grade.

It might not be any better, but the price is better when it's on sale :D

$3.19/qt for single quart bottles is a great deal. They are easier to pour, and if your car doesn't take the full 5 quarts, the remainder is in a smaller bottle and not a big jug. And if you need more than 5 quarts, you can buy the number you need at the same price. You're not bound by quantities of 5 :)

(and if you still prefer the 5qt jug, that's on sale, too, cheaper than anyone except Walmart, a store a lot of people don't like)

Valvoline Advanced Synthetic is on rollback right now at Walmart. $21.57 is a dandy price for five quarts.

The thing with the NOACK and Valvoline is when they last updated their PI sheet all of a sudden all most all the grades were marked
I noticed the Noack format changed too, but I have no reason to believe it's not still around 9% as before.

I switched to Valvoline Advanced 5W-30 in two vehicles, and both engines seem to be a bit quieter running on the Valvoline. Will keep using it.

Here's the properties snap-shot from their Product Info Sheets. 2/14/20 vs 11/5/20. Changes may be from going from the GF-5 SN+ to GF-6 SP rating.

KV40 and KV100 went up a hair, and VI went up some, and HTHS went down a hair.

GF-5 SN+ (2/14/20)

Valvoline Advanced Properties 2-14-20.JPG

GF-6 SP (11/5/20)

Valvoline Advanced Properties 11-5-20.JPG

Back