Valvoline 0w-20, thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
Lots of reviews concerning M1 and Castrol 0w20, but not much involving Valvoline Synpower. Based on the numbers below, and my ever so slightly, better understanding of what they mean (thanks to many of you), Valvoline's version appears to be comparable. With one caveat, the MRV #. I'm assuming it is skewed, correct?

Test ........................0W-20...........5W-20........5W-30....... 10W-30
Vis @ 100°C (cSt) .........8.8 ...............8.7 ...........10.7 ............10.5
Vis @ 40°C (cSt) .........47.0 .............48.1........... 59.5 ............64.0
Viscosity Index ............169 ..............161............ 172 .............153
Total Base No. ..............8.7 ...............8.7 .............8.7.............. 8.7
Flash COC (°C) .............220 ..............221............ 223............. 223
Pour Point (°C) .............-45 ..............-42 .............-42 ..............-39
CCS cP (°C)....... 4600@-35 ...5000@-30 ..4300@-30 ...4200@-25
MRV (°C) ........30,000@-40/13,500@ -35/18,000@-35/13,000@-30
NOACK, wt. % loss .........12................ 10.............. 10 ...............10

Last edited:
Its not the best 0w20 available, but it will do the job. It meets API SN so you know its good enough. I had purchased this for my current fill because I got a good deal on Amazon but ended up cancelling the order and getting Honda Syn Blend 0w20 instead. The numbers aren't all that impressive, also having no Moly and no Boron bother me since I am a short tripper and like those in the add pack to protect the engine since other anti wear additives take heat to start working. JMO! Good oil, but not the leader.

Oil Changer, I must admit, this was predictable from you.
frown.gif

It doesn't invalidate my statement.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: wemay
frown.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
It doesn't invalidate my statement.
smile.gif

frown.gif

Oil changer why are you a blind hater? Valvoline makes some of the best products out there..

You had 1 bad experience according to you and you hate a entire company.

You/others like you are what's wrong with this site..

What is wrong with this site? Not Everyone agrees with you? Valvoline and best products can not and should not be spoke in the same sentence. Wouldn't a blind hater be someone with 0 experience but still hate a company? I'm also choosing to exercise my right to like and dislike whatever I please.

You also proved my point. You chose to quote my reply instead of replying to the original question. Not much to say about the oil, ha?

Originally Posted By: Flareside302
Oil changer why are you a blind hater? Valvoline makes some of the best products out there..

I think that the MRV @-40C number is probably a typo, since it seems way too high, athough that would only be of academic concern to someone operating a car in South Florida.
I've had good experience with Valvoline motor oils as well as Valvoline ATFs.
UOAs of the current formulation of Synpower seem to show that the weak TBN retention this oil used to exhibit has been corrected.
In defense of a certain member, if I were convinced that using a certain brand of ATF ended up costing me a couple of grand, I'd have no love for the products of that blender either.

Thanks guys.
I too was 99% sure the MRV number was a misprint, although as fdcg27 said, is of little significance considering my location.

Oil Changer, your disapproval is noted even though it isn't shared.

What are the SAE J300 requirements for a 0w?

What fear does the OP have in his chilly location?

I have never seen a problem caused by Valvoline's oils. Great stuff!

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
What are the SAE J300 requirements for a 0w?

What fear does the OP have in his chilly location?

I have never seen a problem caused by Valvoline's oils. Great stuff!

Not necessarily a concern considering my climate, just understood that the lower this number is, the 'higher quality' base stocks used.

What is wrong with this site? Not Everyone agrees with you? Valvoline and best products can not and should not be spoke in the same sentence. Wouldn't a blind hater be someone with 0 experience but still hate a company? I'm also choosing to exercise my right to like and dislike whatever I please.

You also proved my point. You chose to quote my reply instead of replying to the original question. Not much to say about the oil, ha?

Originally Posted By: Flareside302

Well the pure fact that my reply to the thread, has the fact its a Dexos certified oil is a statement about the oil.. Since many members here believe Dexos is the end all be all of american car oil ratings..

I won't even go into what I think is wrong with the site.

I consider Valvoline 0w20 to be a very good oil.
I don't think it has the long drain capability of some other synthetics but I could be wrong...(I'm basing my opinion on older BITOG posts).

I probably wouldn't use Valvoline when M1-AFE, PP etc...are available for the same price but when I can get Napa syn. which is made by Ashland and is probably the same as Valvoline for $3.49 a quart...it's hard to pass up for a 7K OCI.

M1 is on sale at WM now for $22 and some change...why not use that? I see you have already changed your sig though from VSP to PPPP, so I am expecting a new post on what are your thoughts on PPPP? To be honest, any name brand API SN synthetic available at WM drained at factory appropriate intervals should take your engine a long way. But this is BITOG and we like to split hairs
wink.gif
IMO M1 and PP are up there when it comes to synthetics, SYN power and Castrol are also good, but I would use M1 or PP over them.

Well, i bought the Synpower, but also some QSUD. I got to watching the WRC and saw the Hyundai i20 sporting the SHELL logo all over the car, couldnt resist SOPUS after that. BTW, every PP bottle was open. Every one.

Still trying to dig it up, but in the months before Terry (Dyson) left the board there was a discussion regarding Valvoline, and their labs, which Terry suggested were the equal of, or superior to any.

The inference in the post (I beleive that I'm quoting honestly) was that Valvoline use their world's best lab not to make the best oils on the market, but to make oils that "cross the line" for all of the advertised specs so to speak rather than beating them handsomely as others appear to do.

The thread left a darkness of perception when I'm comparing Valvoline on a shelf next to another player's products...not a hater...just will buy mobil/shell/penrite for the same/less cash.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Still trying to dig it up, but in the months before Terry (Dyson) left the board there was a discussion regarding Valvoline, and their labs, which Terry suggested were the equal of, or superior to any.

The inference in the post (I beleive that I'm quoting honestly) was that Valvoline use their world's best lab not to make the best oils on the market, but to make oils that "cross the line" for all of the advertised specs so to speak rather than beating them handsomely as others appear to do.

The thread left a darkness of perception when I'm comparing Valvoline on a shelf next to another player's products...not a hater...just will buy mobil/shell/penrite for the same/less cash.

That would be an extremely interesting read. As was gregk24's input concerning moly/boron AW add packs not requiring a completely warmed vehicle in order to activate said additives, as opposed to (he never said this but I inferred) Sodium ones.

...got to watching the WRC and saw the Hyundai i20 sporting the SHELL logo all over the car, couldnt resist SOPUS after that.

specImg.jpg

I'm so impressed with Maxlife ATF I'm sometimes tempted to try their oil. I jsut grabbed another 3 gallons of Maxlife ATF and will be using it in my E150 when I get around to changing the clutch.

Their oil seem to do well in UOA's. My problem is there's really no more room for me to store more oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back