Valve ticking help 5W20

2016 Dodge Journey Crossroad with 2.4l has a valve ticking noise after I had change the oil with Castrol Edge Advanced 5W20 with a Fram Ultra oil filter. It has just under 140,000 miles.
Does anyone have a synthetic recommendation that might quiet the valve ticking noise?
Also, would going to 5W30 help or hurt?

surely your engine is worn in "a while ago" + a switch to an xxW30 is past due!!!! since it started after the last oil service its a "no brainer" IMO were you using the same filter as well!!

ddhmax1973

I purchased the vehicle used from a non Dodge dealer. It was a trade in to a Buick dealer. I have no service history report.

FZ1

Dodge Journey Crossroad with 2.4l has a valve ticking noise after I had change the oil with Castrol Edge Advanced 5W20 with a Fram Ultra oil filter. It has just under 140,000 miles.
Does anyone have a synthetic recommendation that might quiet the valve ticking noise?
Also, would going to 5W30 help or hurt?
Did the oil you used on prior oil changes tick?

ddhmax1973

I purchased the vehicle used about 3 months ago. I changed the oil myself after purchase. I have no service history.

Reactions: FZ1

wlk

Could be the filter. In my 04 Expedition w 5.4 2v the Fram ultra causes a tick upon cold start that I never noticed it w Motorcraft 820s. Could not find any FL820s in stock at the stores so I used a fram ultra and it ticked. I ordered an FL820s online, swapped it out and the tick is gone, I will never use one again for that truck.

Oil out was Maxlife synthetic 5w30 w FL820s filter
Going in was Valvoline EP 5w30

I would go with a 5w30. Valvoline Maxlife would be my suggestion but any major brand will do.

Also, do we know for certain this is a valve tick? I would go over the engine carefully. Lots of things can make a ticking noise.

This is the 2.4 hyundai /mitsu/ chrysler design "world engine" that features simple inverted bucket DOHC like a motorcycle.
They can be a bit clattery. but if you have a tick I would guess if its in the engine and not a belt tensioner or exhaust leak
that its VVT cam phaser racket or sticky or worn cam chain tensioner. I would R&R the FRAM for a dealer service part filter. NO need to change the oil, just top it off.

I would change the VVT spool valve filter also:

1028A025-0-ANG__ra_p.jpg

If there remains a slight tick, and fuel mileage is = > EPA estimates, I would put this in the >IGNORE< file

ddhmax1973

This is the 2.4 hyundai /mitsu/ chrysler design "world engine" that features simple inverted bucket DOHC like a motorcycle.
They can be a bit clattery. but if you have a tick I would guess if its in the engine and not a belt tensioner or exhaust leak
that its VVT cam phaser racket or sticky or worn cam chain tensioner. I would R&R the FRAM for a dealer service part filter. NO need to change the oil, just top it off.

I would change the VVT spool valve filter also:

View attachment 90281

If there remains a slight tick, and fuel mileage is = > EPA estimates, I would put this in the >IGNORE< file
Thank you for your insight. Yes valve clatter is a better way of describing it.
It seems like the Fram Ultra oil filter is a no go for these engines. Will replace with Mopar filter.