recommended 5w30 for ticking and engine noises

Originally Posted by apollo18
for my gm 6.2l which has piston slap and lifter tick, i noticed when i got castrol edge 5w30 it reduced the engine noise quite a bit, it was very much noticeable.
however i believe over the length and life of the oil and whatever property lowered the noises in the oil has worn out or something happened to it and now im back to noisy engine again.

i was wondering if you guys recommend any oil that queits down better then castrol edge 5w30?
thx

Thick 5w30s like Rotella Gas & Truck or Quaker State Ultimate Durability may help mask the sound. A 5w40 may help even more. But like what's mentioned already, oils won't cure the slap-sound.

Originally Posted by UncleDave
Originally Posted by IMSA_Racing_Fan

My titan is a bit noisy and always had a slight drivers side tick even from day 1 considering its a DOHC 32V engine a tiny bit of noise is really good

Huh?

What is remotely confusing about that?

UD

I'm curious about this as well, why is a ticking sound in a DOHC 32V engine a good thing?

Originally Posted by farrarfan1

My titan is a bit noisy and always had a slight drivers side tick even from day 1 considering its a DOHC 32V engine a tiny bit of noise is really good

Huh?

UD

I'm curious about this as well, why is a ticking sound in a DOHC 32V engine a good thing?

I believe he means that most DOHC engines have some valve train noise, so only having a little is a good thing. That's the way I read it anyway.

Every modern engine is noisy to me compared to my carbureted Oldsmobile 350 from 1976. The fuel injectors alone on most modern engines make a racket including my 2005 Chevy Silverado. It did quiet down a lot after a couple tanks of pea cleaner (unless that's a coincidence and it's temperature related or something). My girlfriend's Hyundai Sonata has the fuel injectors and the high pressure fuel pump, plus the valve train all making noise.

Modern engines typically make noise. It seems to be normal but it makes it harder for people who don't already have a lot of experience with vehicles to pick up on what a lifter tick is or piston slap, etc.

Originally Posted by caprice_2nv

I believe he means that most DOHC engines have some valve train noise, so only having a little is a good thing. That's the way I read it anyway.

Ok, yeah, you're probably right, thanks. I thought he was saying that having a ticking noise is good, which wasn't making much sense to me. As an owner of a Ram 1500 with the Hemi engine ticking is never a good thing!

Ok, yeah, you're probably right, thanks. I thought he was saying that having a ticking noise is good, which wasn't making much sense to me. As an owner of a Ram 1500 with the Hemi engine ticking is never a good thing!

Yes, I hear you. My 05 Silverado developed a tick as soon as I changed the oil with a fram ultra oil filter. Based on the advice of some people on here I switched that out with a fram extra guard and it stopped ticking shortly after and piston slap is basically gone again too. Apparently some LS engines don't like high efficiency filters like the fram ultra.

My Oldsmobile has some light valve train noise on anything thicker than a 30 weight. I always prefer quieter.

Huh?

UD

I should have put a period after " day 1".

I did not mean to insinuate a ticking noise was good thing.

A rewrite of the last sentence...

Considering this engine has - feet and feet of chains and their associated slipper blocks, multiple sprockets, 32 valves, the tiny bit of valve train noise it does make is amazing accomplishment for so much going on.

UD

correct sir.

Thats what was in my head when I wrote it.

Last edited:
The Malibu LTG 2.0 in the girlfriend's 2015 Malibu seemed to sound noisier with Amsoil SS 5W-30 and Castrol Edge 0W-40. It'll sound funny (no pun intended), but Kirkland Signature 5W-30 seems to have quieted it down a bit. It feels like it is running smoother as well. The engine has 101k miles.

Back