Valve Stem Caps

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering if anyone has ever run across a valve stem cap that can be easily or quickly removed/replaced? It gets cold around here in the winter and it can be rather tedious trying to screw and unscrew the typical valve caps on and off when checking tire pressure.

I thought getting salt, mud, snow, etc. in the valve stem probably wasn't a good idea?

You need those caps! I don't know of any quick OFF / quick ON designs, but perhaps you can find something better at a parts store. I know how cold it can be & the fingers just don't wanna work! Is there anyplace you can go that is under cover so that you can avoid a bit of the cold & wind? What about a parking garage?

You'd think someone would have thought of this by now. It wouldn't be that hard to design a spring-loaded clip-on type of thing.

It might seem trivial, but I don't like the standard plastic VS caps. I prefer the larger aftermarket metal "dress-up" caps. Not primarily for the appearance, they're just easier for my big, clumsy fingers to grasp.

get those valve stem caps with have a spring pressure meter that shows green yellow or red so you can visually check the tyre pressure without pulling the cap off.

But you still need to unscrew them to add air, right? Are those things pretty accurate?

They make plastic caps that don't need to be removed to put air in your tire, or even to check the pressure.

My mom's old 1971 Country Squire wagon had them, my GTI came with them from the factory. They can't be too uncommon...

Honda tried putting metal caps on their Pilot SUVs, but owners started complaining because after a few years, the metal caps would be difficult to take off when it started to corrode. Part of the problem is that the caps are aluminum while the threads on the valve stems are something else.

Honda is now sending owners plastic caps to replace them.

"They make plastic caps that don't need to be removed to put air in your tire, or even to check the pressure."

robbobster, I checked a 'Murray's' auto parts store near me today. They had one inch plastic extensions that you screw on the valve and can check/add pressure through them, but they had threads on the end which I would assume means that you should put caps on them. Is that what you are talking about? Any cap that does not need to be removed to add air seems like it would be subject to leakage?

I've tried those spring pressure meter caps and they were terrible. The plastic see-thru top is the weak spot. One started leaking and left my wife with a flat tire. I went to replace the other 3 and they were practically seized on the stem. I had grip the stem with vice grips and take them off with pliers.

Using standard caps gives you two levels of protection: the stem has a stop valve built in and the caps act as a backup to stop leaking air. Using these metered caps (so you can see the PSI green bar) keeps the stem's stop valve open all the time!

I replaced those caps with chrome covered brass caps so it would be a brass to brass contact.

If you want maximum cap surface area for gripping, get the rolling dice caps
lol.gif

They could leak, I suppose. My GTI tires seems to hold air pretty well. I've had it since ~October, and have only had to top the tires off one time - all the tires were about 1psi down about a month ago.

The ones I've got have no threads on the outside. Looks just like a regular plastic cap, only a tiny bit taller. And of course a pressure-release velve on top. You can't release pressure with your finger on the valve, you need to depress it a bit further.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back