Valve cover gasket change and spark plug replacement today.

First off: huge thank you to The Critic for his advice and help and info. Sunny weather and 54 out. Friend that helped us sending pic of the old “fusion” brand platinum plugs too. Had to re pin or replace coil pack connectors but I had replacement OEM ones. Put 2 large liquid laundry detergent cap fills KREEN down each cylinder and waited two hours to install new correctly gapped plugs. Old valve cover gasket came right off; was rock hard stuck onto plug tube seals area. Glad I had plenty of razor blades, brake clean and rags. Car runs way, way better also. Major difference in idle also. Put rest of kreen in gas tank as filled up at Shell Station. Have 1 can left. I will bet anything that the new plugs and KREEN treatment will soon dislodge some carbon, gunk etc. drained the 5w30 CarQuest Synthetic before doing the work. Afterwards put some CASTROL EDGE 0w40 in. When I can, I’ll remove the FU (FRAM ULTRA 3614) filter that now has like 27k on it and throw a vintage TOUGH GUARD 4967. Gapped plugs at .044 and used friends inch/lb torque wrench; he set it for proper valve cover torque.

Enjoy the pics

Attachments

• 41D99AA1-B380-4C8D-96B7-8E40F694889B.jpeg
    41D99AA1-B380-4C8D-96B7-8E40F694889B.jpeg
    210.2 KB · Views: 231
  • 96D84BD4-53BC-43A4-A285-3C5B1F63F875.jpeg
    96D84BD4-53BC-43A4-A285-3C5B1F63F875.jpeg
    217.8 KB · Views: 227
  • 22C6E204-ED9D-4410-BEE3-75BBE7B533E5.jpeg
    22C6E204-ED9D-4410-BEE3-75BBE7B533E5.jpeg
    226.9 KB · Views: 219
  • FE6010B3-AA13-471E-A51C-998730E2F76F.jpeg
    FE6010B3-AA13-471E-A51C-998730E2F76F.jpeg
    213.4 KB · Views: 218
Extra photos. These are the “FUSION” brand platinum spark plugs I removed. PB Blaster I’m sure helped them come out fine.

Attachments

• 7256EEFB-E559-4DF7-A780-CBB375A9BF6E.jpeg
    7256EEFB-E559-4DF7-A780-CBB375A9BF6E.jpeg
    61.1 KB · Views: 143
  • 4514CEEA-8871-4A77-B72E-92F3BC12F602.jpeg
    4514CEEA-8871-4A77-B72E-92F3BC12F602.jpeg
    89 KB · Views: 143
Whoever put the incorrect plugs in should be hung, drawn, and quartered. I see much worse at work, but come on people; use the correct parts. also replaced hairline cracked PCV hose going from intake tonPCV valve. My cost for OEM part and clamps was $13~

Another thing I need to address. AutoMechanic told me some of the 2AZ-FE valve covers crack. Well, Mr Blake: you are totally wrong son. Mine had ZERO, that IS 0 cracks. I think myths like these need to die very soon. If it had a crack; I’d have a MAJOR vacuum leak also. Just saying, BUT also saying that old wives tales and myths should NOT be re told.

That is all

Another thing I need to address. AutoMechanic told me some of the 2AZ-FE valve covers crack. Well, Mr Blake: you are totally wrong son. Mine had ZERO, that IS 0 cracks. I think myths like these need to die very soon. If it had a crack; I’d have a MAJOR vacuum leak also. Just saying, BUT also saying that old wives tales and myths should NOT be re told.

That is all
Not all of them crack. You should be glad yours didn’t. If you read on the Toyota forums you will see they do crack. It’s not uncommon to come across one that isn’t cracked but it’s more common to see them cracked. If you get what I’m saying. No myths here. Depends on mileage as well.

Not all of them crack. You should be glad yours didn’t. If you read on the Toyota forums you will see they do crack. It’s not uncommon to come across one that isn’t cracked but it’s more common to see them cracked. If you get what I’m saying. No myths here. Depends on mileage as well.
I’m sorry, I’m just not buying that story. The Critic and I discussed this already.

Anyways, mine has 187k on it and it’s not cracked so I’m happy

Another thing I need to address. AutoMechanic told me SOME of the 2AZ-FE valve covers crack. Well, Mr Blake: you are totally wrong son. Mine had ZERO, that IS 0 cracks. I think myths like these need to die very soon. If it had a crack; I’d have a MAJOR vacuum leak also. Just saying, BUT also saying that old wives tales and myths should NOT be re told.
Relevant text highlighted.

Yours not being affected does not make him 'totally wrong'.

Extra photos. These are the “FUSION” brand platinum spark plugs I removed. PB Blaster I’m sure helped them come out fine.
Ugh, Bosch Platinums. The newest OE-style ones seem like a decent plug but I will never install that kind of plug even in a Chinese Harbor Freight Honda clone.

I replaced the plugs on my Tundra with Genuine Toyota Parts and they were only $1.66 each at the dealership, for 8 of them. What is the point of putting in non-OEM plugs in any Toyota engine, including a 2UZ-FE that only requires 4 spark plugs?

First off: huge thank you to The Critic for his advice and help and info. Sunny weather and 54 out. Friend that helped us sending pic of the old “fusion” brand platinum plugs too. Had to re pin or replace coil pack connectors but I had replacement OEM ones. Put 2 large liquid laundry detergent cap fills KREEN down each cylinder and waited two hours to install new correctly gapped plugs. Old valve cover gasket came right off; was rock hard stuck onto plug tube seals area. Glad I had plenty of razor blades, brake clean and rags. Car runs way, way better also. Major difference in idle also. Put rest of kreen in gas tank as filled up at Shell Station. Have 1 can left. I will bet anything that the new plugs and KREEN treatment will soon dislodge some carbon, gunk etc. drained the 5w30 CarQuest Synthetic before doing the work. Afterwards put some CASTROL EDGE 0w40 in. When I can, I’ll remove the FU (FRAM ULTRA 3614) filter that now has like 27k on it and throw a vintage TOUGH GUARD 4967. Gapped plugs at .044 and used friends inch/lb torque wrench; he set it for proper valve cover torque.

Enjoy the pics

hey thanks for posting this! great timing! I have to replace my scion tC (2az-fe) valve cover gasket too! I keep hearing from the posts I'm reading that the old gasket is brittle and just cracks/breaks apart. I see some of that in your pictures! So a razor blade would be needed to remove the old gasket? Not just like a pick set?

Back