Valero Gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not top tier but around here they are one of the cheapest and a tank I put in recently seemed to be really well received by my car.

Russian owned, tend to come into new areas with low initial prices to drive competition out then promptly raise then

Originally Posted By: cmorr
Russian owned, tend to come into new areas with low initial prices to drive competition out then promptly raise then
Russian owned? That would be news to me; when did that happen? They are based in San Antonio and used to be Diamond Shamrock. They are well received in Texas and their fuels seem to be quite ok.

Russian owned

Quite wrong. Valero was spun off of Coastal States Gas and is currently a publicly held corporation based in San Antonio, Tejas.

Perhaps you're thinking of Lukoil?

As others have stated, Valero headquarters are in San Antonio Texas. Shares in the company are traded on the NYSE under the symbol VLO. I don't think that they are Russian owned.

They usually have some of the lower prices in my area, along with Quik Trip, and I buy from both.

fueled up at valero many times.. no problems
as long as the station is clean, pumps relatively new, and has high traffic.. im sure the gas they sell is good.

lots in dallas area of tx. Some of them used to be part of the albertson grocery store.

I always just get gas at the cheapest price newer gas stations.

Originally Posted By: scurvy
Russian owned

Quite wrong. Valero was spun off of Coastal States Gas and is currently a publicly held corporation based in San Antonio, Tejas.

Perhaps you're thinking of Lukoil?

Yes, was thinking of Lukoil

Sorry for the confusion, and I appreciate you correcting me

In my area they are usually comparable to Arco in price and quality. As was stated earlier not top tier but decent. Usually my last option though.

They started popping up here in Viginia a few years ago and I've used them ever since with no problems. All of the Amoco's here changed to Valero and I just kept going to the same place and never gave it any thought. And usually the cheapest in town.

Just an FYI!

Some time ago(~2 to 3 years ago)I was watching Modern Marvels on the History Channel and the segment was talking about how oil refineries work and how thay make different types of fuel.

According to this MM segment, Valero has the largest refinery in the U.S.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
does different gas really make an engine run different or is it in our heads?
Sometimes. Note that the octane number is the average of two methods, motor octane and research octane. One gas might have higher octane by the motor method, another might have higher octane by the research method, but both average to 87. Your engine might prefer one and my engine the other.

Also, some refiners cut corners. A few years ago I was buying about $500,000 in heavy fuel oil every five weeks. An independent surveyor was hired to gauge the tanks and run lab tests on the fuel. He told how he was hired by the local refineries when they bought, sold, and swapped product with each other (a common practice). One refinery, then ARCO pre-the BP takeover, was always low octane. The other refineries noted this, reblended the gas, and adjusted the price they paid to ARCO.

They took over practically every station where I live a couple of years ago. That was also the first time I ever saw E10 fuel. Prior to their massive take over it was E0. I used their fuel for a year in car and all yard equipment with no problems. Then my fuel mileage began dropping and lawn equipment ran poorly. I considered it just an aberration until my city MPG dropped from 20 to 16 and lawn equipment wouldn't run. The lawn equipment was costly to repair and was due to poor quality fuel. The repair shop told me that if I continued to use Valero fuel he would appreciate it because I would put his kids through school.

I switched to Exxon and my car went back up to 20MPG in town on the second tank and the lawn equipment has run properly ever since. I won't buy Valero gas on a bet. My gal has the same car (RAV4 V-6) and her in town MPG went from 16 to 18 after making the switch to Exxon. I always thought the brand of fuel made no difference whatsoever but I was (and expensively) proven wrong. No Valero for me unless I just can't avoid it.

Check your mileage if you use it. Most gas is nearly the same here, but I've tried it and to save a nickel per gallon at the pump I lost about 5 percent in miles per gallon. Gas would have to be 99 cents a gallon just to break even at that rate.

Only the government would think that was a deal!
21.gif

Valeros are getting more popular in southern california too. They do offer their own credit, and when you use it you pay their cash price within 0-4 cents of arco's, which is nice in a jam before payday. Their 89 octane seemed to knock the same as 87 in my car in the summertime, the 91 was fine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back