Valentines Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
I order some stuff and set up a flower delivery as soon as I think about it each year. I scheduled a flower delivery for today back in January. At the same time I ordered some gifts. That just leaves the card to get a few days ahead of time.

On a funny side note, my uncle had a standing order for almost thirty years at his florist for anniversary, birthday, and Valentines. He thought he had it made and my aunt thought he hung the moon. Until one day the florist let it slip that he hadn’t actually had to remember an event for three decades. Now he has to buy jewelry…

I've never fallen into the marketing trap of Valentine’s Day, or the marketing of any other "holiday" for that matter. I do send my wife flowers on occasion, but it's strictly random and not on a holiday. I show and tell my wife several times a day how much I love her, why should a single manufactured holiday be singled out?

How did I know you would be the one to post this point of view? I’m surprised you ever send flowers as it is a terrible investment! I’m sure you own a controlling interest in a florist so it doesn’t cost anything…

I send random gifts and flowers also and agree that the greeting card holidays are a scam but whether or not they say they think it is silly, women still like to get a bouquet at work on Valentines, especially if other girls in the office get flowers also. It’s worth the $50.00 to make Valentines one of the random days you send and not run the risk.

Based on your past posts, one gets the impression that it must be magic in your house. No pizza, no TV (idiot box), no soda, no distilled spirits, very little beer, no lesser holidays...

Pure magic!

We dont celebrate valentine's day until the 15th or 16th of February, or else in another month.

My wife is as onboard with that as I am, avoiding all the silly commercial ripoff aspects of what they push.

You don't have to give your wife of 21 years a Valentine Gift, do you? Just the Girlfriend(s) ... Oui?
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
I've never fallen into the marketing trap of Valentine’s Day, or the marketing of any other "holiday" for that matter. I do send my wife flowers on occasion, but it's strictly random and not on a holiday. I show and tell my wife several times a day how much I love her, why should a single manufactured holiday be singled out?

Agreed, and well put.

The wife tells me not to buy flowers for her since they are so overpriced. I buy them plenty of times throughout the season. I'll be cooking a nice dinner, making some chocolate covered strawberries and set up the good china in the formal dining room.

It may be a manufactured holiday, but it's a reason to have a nice dinner and spoil my wife. I do not see anything wrong with that.

Originally Posted By: apwillard1986
How did I know you would be the one to post this point of view? I’m surprised you ever send flowers as it is a terrible investment! I’m sure you own a controlling interest in a florist so it doesn’t cost anything…

I send random gifts and flowers also and agree that the greeting card holidays are a scam but whether or not they say they think it is silly, women still like to get a bouquet at work on Valentines, especially if other girls in the office get flowers also. It’s worth the $50.00 to make Valentines one of the random days you send and not run the risk.

Based on your past posts, one gets the impression that it must be magic in your house. No pizza, no TV (idiot box), no soda, no distilled spirits, very little beer, no lesser holidays...

Pure magic!

If your marriage/relationship is at risk (your word) because you don't send flowers on a marketing manfactured holiday, then your relationship is already on shaky ground, and no amount of flowers, cards or other shiny baubles will fix it. I'm certainly glad that the relationship that my wife and I have isn't at risk because we both choose not to follow the rest of the sheep.

You're only partially correct, there is no pizza, no soda, very little beer, and we don't get wrapped up in "lesser holidays". However, you're at least partially wrong-I keep a bottle of whisky around to flavor smoked meats.

And no, I don't own a controlling interest in a florist, there isn't enough return on investment. You are more than welcome to ignore my posts and my viewpoints if they get under your skin and continue to send you into tizzy fits.

Originally Posted By: apwillard1986

Pure magic!

If your marriage/relationship is at risk (your word) because you don't send flowers on a marketing manfactured holiday, then your relationship is already on shaky ground, and no amount of flowers, cards or other shiny baubles will fix it. I'm certainly glad that the relationship that my wife and I have isn't at risk because we both choose not to follow the rest of the sheep.

You're only partially correct, there is no pizza, no soda, very little beer, and we don't get wrapped up in "lesser holidays". However, you're at least partially wrong-I keep a bottle of whisky around to flavor smoked meats.

And no, I don't own a controlling interest in a florist, there isn't enough return on investment. You are more than welcome to ignore my posts and my viewpoints if they get under your skin and continue to send you into tizzy fits.

I meant no offense. Though I may occasionally find your posts lacking in tact I actually often agree with them hence I will not ignore them as I feel the contribute to the whole.

This is an internet discussion forum and as such the inflection that one enjoys in verbal conversation doesn’t make it into the type written conversation on screen. I certainly did not mean it to sound like a personal attack; at its worst I meant it a good natured jibe.

We neither of us know the other or anything about each others relationships. As I said, this is a discussion forum, not a pulpit. I certainly didn’t mean to challenge anyone to any moral contest. Especially in a post about a holiday we both agree is manufactured.

I offer my sincere and public apology.

I took my lady out for a nice dinner last night. It was her idea to go and avoid the crowd that will no doubt be out tonight.

I've never fallen into the marketing trap of Valentine’s Day, or the marketing of any other "holiday" for that matter.

I definitely agree! Although women love these lil things,me having worked retail most of my life,ALL holidays are nothing more than a way to scam all the money out of your wallet. Christmas especially is the WORST. Christmas should be about celebrating the birth of JesusChrist,NOT about going to the mall and spending all of your money.

Last edited:
I told the wife last night that Valentines day was stupid and only a commercially driven holiday that was invented to make money for chocolate and greeting card companies and was a total waste of time. Then I showed up this morning with a dozen long stemmed red roses. LOL GOTCHA!
grin2.gif

Ive been hearing the same thing from my wife for 20 years, " dont get me anything, its a waste and flowers just die" Every year including this year I dont listen and I get her something and I can tell she is always pleased that I did. I suspect if I didnt there would be no repucussions or hard feelings, but I think she would be slightly dissapointed and we dont want that.

My gf and I always go out and celebrate Valentines Day the following weekend. No crowds,no bad sevice,etc. Plus,we both work late in the evening.

Nope, took oilBabe out on Monday. No crowds, no drama, a good time was had by all.

Tonight we'll stay home.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
Did you forget....................................

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
We dont celebrate valentine's day until the 15th or 16th of February, or else in another month.

My wife is as onboard with that as I am, avoiding all the silly commercial ripoff aspects of what they push.

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back