vag 506.01 oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
HI, i have been using 506.01 spec oil in my diesel tdi Volkswagen polo for a year and a half now.

I opted for the long life service interval available here in the U.K. I was told that U.K. Volkswagens could come with a factory fill from either Castrol, Fuchs or Shell but all fulfilling the VW 506.01 spec.

I have just over 18,500 miles done at present and have used just under a liter and a half of oil in this time, not bad as my previous V W diesel used a lot more,

I suppose a lot of forum members will think i am crazy to trust OC Intervals to an on board computer but i am quite happy as i only use top quality and sourced diesel plus Millers dieselclean additive which raises cetane levels and lubes and cleans pumps and injectors.

It will be interesting to see how far i can get on oci,s as the car does minimal short runs and averages about 45 miles per day at 60 mpg, will keep you posted how far i get. Incidentally my local dealer had difficulty getting castrol 506.01 and is now using Fuchs long life instead.
regards Gus geddes.

Judging by your member number, you've been around for some time...but anyway,
welcome.gif

To you and the many others on this board that are not living in the US, I would like to say that I esspecially appreciate the sharing of technical info of non-US marketted vehicles. Now then...

A few questions for you:

What is the average OCI that the manufacturer has for you? I would personally think that using a high spec oil with good oxidant protection (Still think that synthetics are best due to this naturally inherent property), would make me feel just fine in following the on-board oil change monitoring system. By the way, do you know how it works - by multiple data point calculations or actual analysis by probe? Fome what some others have been reporting here on the board about continous data monitoring and caluculation, with all that proior research from the auto techs, things appear to be pretty reliable if not still perhaps conservative.

What weight of oil is this that you use and under what climate conditions (temperature extremes)?

Take a deep breath!!

Diesel, yes I understand. But being a regular production vehicle that's getting 60 mpg...I think other manufacturers should feel a bit ashamed of themselves. Be it emissions, poor fuel quality for which I think the industry should fess-up as far as to what part they play in the whole scheme of things (I believe they have been pointed to), and the performance acceptance from the customers, I think should be shared for all to know and to enable them to make a more educated decission, rather then the marketing influence way of things...But I guess that would be a hard one to pull off. Psychology is an interesting thing.

Well from what little I have come across from afar, it seems like you have an interesting spot to view the rest of the world. I suppose we all have our problems though.

Happy motoring!

link to castrol longlife. intervals 2http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/assets/Longlife_servicing.pdf

Hi curious, thanks for the welcome in answer to your queries VW say up TO 33,000 miles for the extended service intervals in the pump duse diesel engined cars and the oil is monitored as to how many cold starts are made, ambient temps and oil/coolant temps so it does seem slightly more complex than just measuring the opacity of the oil by shining light through it as some of the more basic service sensors once did.

The U.K. is a fairly temperate zone with in most areas winter temps very rarely much under -5 centigrade and usually not under 0 centigrade for any length of time.---Any one living in the highlands of Scotland do not flame me, i am talking generally.

In the U.K. 0/30 wt oils are a fairly new innovation with 5/40 being the most popular premium grades and most garage workshops favoring semi- syn 10/40 grades.

Emissions wise modern electronic controlled diesels as long as well maintained, are well within EEC statutes and the next evolution seems to be particulate traps even for small diesels.

Customer acceptance of diesels is excellent because in real world driving conditions turbo diesels with there inherent mid-range torque make them highly drivable with the bonus of superb MPG figures. Quattro Pete is right-big difference between U.S. & U.K. Best wishes, gus

quote:

Originally posted by gusgeds:
link to castrol longlife. intervals 2http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/assets/Longlife_servicing.pdf

Hi curious, thanks for the welcome in answer to your queries VW say up TO 33,000 miles for the extended service intervals in the pump duse diesel engined cars and the oil is monitored as to how many cold starts are made, ambient temps and oil/coolant temps so it does seem slightly more complex than just measuring the opacity of the oil by shining light through it as some of the more basic service sensors once did.

The U.K. is a fairly temperate zone with in most areas winter temps very rarely much under -5 centigrade and usually not under 0 centigrade for any length of time.---Any one living in the highlands of Scotland do not flame me, i am talking generally.

In the U.K. 0/30 wt oils are a fairly new innovation with 5/40 being the most popular premium grades and most garage workshops favoring semi- syn 10/40 grades.

Emissions wise modern electronic controlled diesels as long as well maintained, are well within EEC statutes and the next evolution seems to be particulate traps even for small diesels.

Customer acceptance of diesels is excellent because in real world driving conditions turbo diesels with there inherent mid-range torque make them highly drivable with the bonus of superb MPG figures. Quattro Pete is right-big difference between U.S. & U.K. Best wishes, gus

gus,

welcome.gif
As I was reading your last post I was reflecting how perfect a clean burning "torquey" diesel, with long OCIs, seems for the UK (everything from driving condtions to environmental considerations). Glad to have you join us and share your UK driving experiences with us...now if that includes driving an Aston-Martin DBR9 or a Bentley GT we will listen
shocked.gif
to those stories too!
cheers.gif

Hi Pscholte, no Aston Martins, unfortunately, but i am very much involved in speed hill-climbs in u.k. and Ireland, - a mate who unlike me happens to be very wealthy runs a Pilbeam MP88 with a 4 liter ex-F1 Judd engine. This is used to great effect in sprints and hills-he was Northern Ireland hill-climb champion last year.

To those who do not know this is a purpose built single seater weighing 480 kg with lots of down force looking like a F1car but with much bigger front and rear wings fitted with very soft and sticky slick tyres.The gear box is a Lola formula Nissan six speed sequential shift with an 80 mph first gear fitted-- forget any road car this is seriously quick!!! best wishes gus

quote:

Originally posted by gusgeds:
- a mate who unlike me happens to be very wealthy runs a Pilbeam MP88 with a 4 liter ex-F1 Judd engine. This is used to great effect in sprints and hills-he was Northern Ireland hill-climb champion last year.

gus,

The engine sound alone probably should have won him an award!
grin.gif

best wishes,

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back