USPS delivered damaged mail.

The USPS delivered a padded envelope which had been opened vis gaping hole in the side and the contents missing. I think I understand why the USPS would deliver the package but I'm annoyed as $@$#!. Does the USPS not have a policy on packages with such obvious damage or do they just assume the recipient and sender will do the foot work on a claim?

The USPS delivered a padded envelope which had been opened vis gaping hole in the side and the contents missing. I think I understand why the USPS would deliver the package but I'm annoyed as $@$#!. Does the USPS not have a policy on packages with such obvious damage or do they just assume the recipient and sender will do the foot work on a claim?
Why not call USPS and get your answer....

When I worked for DHL I got to see my fair share of damaged packages.

It's often impossible to determine what went where (more than one mangled in the autmatic sorters and transport belts). So you stuff what you can inside, tape it up and send it on it's way if you can still see where it was supposed to go.

In the end, it's the sender that has to file a claim.

Yes I have I call the local post office....better yet go visit them and ask..

I didn't have any luck, endless phone loop if it did not hang up on you.

I remember back in the day getting damaged mail in a bag that said "we are sorry" or similar.

As @Jetronic said, they don't know what was supposed to be inside so it is up to the customer to assess the situation.
Tell the sender that the package was damaged and the merchandise was lost. They have to make the claim as they are the ones who paid the USPS not you.
Your local post office will want to inspect the package as part of the claim. That is done in person or by mail, not by phone.

My wife received a birthday card a few months ago. It was delivered in a plastic bag. The side of the card's envelope had been slashed. Obviously someone was looking for cash that might have been enclosed in the card. I believe it is a federal offense to tamper with the mail. I wish just one of these scum bags would be caught and they would make a huge case out of it and send the responsible parties to the federal pennitenary.

Amazon sent be a 1.250" OD. Bronze bar 18" long in a Kraft mailer. Not a bubble mailer. All I received was a mailer with a hole in it.
Took weeks to get a refund from Amazon... Who sends something like that in a Kraft mailer... Amazon

Amazon sent be a 1.250" OD. Bronze bar 18" long in a Kraft mailer. Not a bubble mailer. All I received was a mailer with a hole in it.
Took weeks to get a refund from Amazon... Who sends something like that in a Kraft mailer... Amazon
HAHA

There was a problem on another forum I'm on where someone made little metal key chains. And then shipped them in letter envelopes.

Exact same thing happened, a bunch of people for envelopes with a 1" or so hole in them where the key chain exited the envelope 😆

Oh and anything that has to go through the sorting center in Atlanta is on borrowed time. Ive had stuff sit there for days....

Contents missing is very bothersome, because now we get into proof of delivery shows delivered, but what was inside, really was not. Better off not delivered/lost etc.

I actually sent a box to one of our offices in Canada--it came from a distribution center that stores our inventory. It had brown tape and looked like the box had been crushed.

I didn't open or check it, and forwarded it to our office in Canada.

When the GM got it, he said he this is damaged. It was a 4 slot cradle charger and the slot on the right was broken. I asked him if the other 3 worked or not, to which he replied yes.

When he asked how he can get a replacement, I said sorry the window has closed and we don't accept returns.

j/k I shipped him another and told him to keep the other one and have the ability to charge 3 more, and that we'd also keep it in mind so in the future when you add devices, we won't have to buy another one as early (example he has 7 devices so he would get 2x4=8 slots to charge, 1 spare. Now he has an extra 3, so in essence, he can get 4 more devices and not buy a 4 slot charger)....

This had to have been damaged from us going to the DC but could have been 2-4 years ago, no way to tell who actually damaged the part.

Bring the damaged article to your local P.O. and tell them you are P.O.'d.

The lady at my town's post office is nice, I never holler at her.
She ain't no hollaback gurl.

Moral - don't ship roofing nails in a 2D letter.

The ability, in this day and age, to send a letter across the country for .63 cents and have it arrive in a few days (most of the time) is still amazing to me considering that 50 years ago it was .08 cents.

Now for a little USPS humor….
IMG_2847.jpeg
IMG_2848.jpeg

Back