using OLD antifreeze? (new old stock, or opened bottles)

Is there any reason that OLD antifreeze (more than 14 years old) couldn't be used the same today? I inherited some old bottles i'd hate to throw out if there's nothing wrong with them. They could even be 20 years old. Where would you put the limit?

A couple of them are Dexcool... I've heard nightmares about Dexcool 'back in the day' and i'm not sure i'd trust the bottle that says safe for everything even on a GM vehicle. (of which I have two, a 90 and 91 small block chevies) But most are not dexcool. Two bottles seem to have been opened but are mostly full/were just used to top off something?

I have and still use my old, never used coolant that's in my stash. They date back about 15-20 years when I bought them for practically nothing. I have had no adverse affects with their use. I would use them with confidence.
Virgin old Dexcool is fine to use. It will get nasty as with all coolant being in a poorly maintained cooling system for many years. I would have no problem using it either.

I always thought coolant had a shelf life of 10-15 years. Period. Didn’t matter if it was in the car being used or not? I guess I’m wrong?

But look at it this way...coolant is something that will be in your car a long time, for a lot of miles (50,000-100,000). If your coolant is already 20 years old BEFORE you even use it, it’ll be 22/23/24/25 years old before you know it. You can buy a bottle of coolant for 12 bucks at Walmart that will last you a long time of service. Something you’ll never have to worry or ask questions about again. But a 20 plus year old coolant?? I personally wouldn’t do it, but can you do it? I’m not even sure about that either.

Just to use it up, I might use it but not for very long. Maybe for 2-3 yrs, not 5-7.
I mean, I've used up some old(15 yr old) coolant in a new sealed jug. But instead of keeping it in for the whole duration of 5-7 yrs, I only used it for he short term.

Last edited:
Many people are driving 20 yo cars with the original coolant. Your stuff hasn't even been exposed to metal yet.
I'm one of them, in that it's never been flushed. Even after water pump / radiator / thermostat replacement (at different times) there is still probably at least some of the original coolant still in there.

I am using up my old stash, some at least 20 years old. Haven't had any cooling system issues so far with it being in the vehicle for about 5 years. Will probably get a drain and fill in the spring.

I always thought coolant had a shelf life of 10-15 years. Period. Didn’t matter if it was in the car being used or not? I guess I’m wrong?

But look at it this way...coolant is something that will be in your car a long time, for a lot of miles (50,000-100,000). If your coolant is already 20 years old BEFORE you even use it, it’ll be 22/23/24/25 years old before you know it. You can buy a bottle of coolant for 12 bucks at Walmart that will last you a long time of service. Something you’ll never have to worry or ask questions about again. But a 20 plus year old coolant?? I personally wouldn’t do it, but can you do it? I’m not even sure about that either.
Well, this is why I love this place. After reading through all the comments, I’ve changed my opinion. I’d use it.

I think it depends on the coolant chemistry. From an old 1995 Honda Tech Tip. Does this still apply today?' 🤷‍♂️

Acura Service News - Coolant_annotated 01.jpg

If it’s a modern xOAT, sure. I would be a bit concerned with old school green, but even G05/40/48/65 with its silicate content should be fine for long-term storage.

Back