Using Impact Sockets only for 3/8” and 1/2” dr

As the title states, is it sensible for a tech to only use impact sockets for the 3/8” and 1/2 dr sizes?

This was a recent discussion over on GJ:

I have found impact sockets from Sunex, Snap-On and Koken to be fairly thin-walled. I cannot remember a recent situation where I had to use a chrome socket due to an issue with the impact socket’s wall thickness. However, I do prefer the feel of chrome sockets (over impact) with manual ratchets.

As someone who is currently outfitting the essentials for a daily-use roll cart, I am very tempted to only keep impact sockets for the 3/8 and 1/2” dr sizes. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Very rarely have I had clearance issues with the thicker walled "black" impact sockets. It always pays to have both types as we are not talking a lot of money.

When I was in the business I used almost exclusively 1/2" impact, and 3/8" chrome (all metric). That was working on European and Japanese cars of 1980-2005 vintage. And it was before 3/8 battery impact became so popular, but I frequently used my chrome 3/8 sockets on my air gun and only broke a couple of them.

If I was starting over today, I'd probably keep 3/8 impacts on the cart, along with 1/2 impact. Chrome could stay in the box unless needed.

Never had any use for 1/2 chrome sockets except a couple specific ones for clearance reasons (I have a 30mm 12 point that was for something VW, though I can't remember what).

No, I run into clearance issues enough that I have sets of both chrome, impact, deep, normal, and the super short Astro sockets.

Reactions: D60
sockets can't be compact enough at times, though if there's room I prefer deep sockets to save my knuckles from shaving. And weight matters if you have to work above your head for the whole day

Although I have a set of 3/8" impacts, I tend to not use them. It could be something as simple as not being able to read the size as well, or being "unfamiliar" such that I grab a chrome I can spot from a yard away and have it be the right size.

For 1/2" I use almost exclusively impacts though I have some chrome 12-pointers that get a little use. This with a 2-foot long flex head ratchet, breaker bar, or impact.

How far will your cart be from your main storage? I suspect a matter of not many feet. Thus the need to sneakernet the right tool isn’t a huge issue.

I don’t have any issue using impact sockets for manual wrenching, and I have. Sometimes they do get a bit sloppy.

If you were to go with impacts for some size groups, I’d personally go all proto. They’re high quality with a better in hand feel than other smooth impact sockets. The textured finish is really nice.

I’d probably propose the following:

Use 1/4” as your primary underhood wrenching tools. I would recommend the snap on 1/4” semi-deep, and an extra long and short handle ratchet. When access is an issue, can’t beat 1/4” and getting them up to 15mm means you can do most things.

Your call on 3/8. Id say use what you’ve got. Do you find yourself using 3/8 impact a lot? Then there’s the answer. Get some 3/8. I have sk semi deep that are pretty useful. But again, I prefer the proto in hand feel of their impacts.

I don’t see a good reason to have anything but impacts in the 1/2” drive side. If you’re doing something really sensitive and need the tightest, best socket, walk over and grab the nice 1/2” chrome socket from your other box. But having 1/2” for that will facilitate all the big stuff that needs impact to get off.

Remember that you’re filling a cart that has stuff you’ll grab for convenience. I’m still assuming you have both and other wrenches somewhere to access just a few more steps away.

Last edited:
Then only time you'll run into an issue is if you have need a sockets too big for a 1/4" but the 3/8 impacts aren't compact enough. Which I could see happening quite often actually. I need more compact way more than I need more impact. But I have a mix of both.

Since I bought the small 3/8 impact I use the 3/8 long and short impact sockets and 1/4 chrome mostly for under the hood, I use chrome and impact torx and e torx on many cars. 1/2 use are mostly short impact and long when needed but they get beat up pretty bad, if I am going to use a ratchet I use chrome. I have everything in chrome and impact so I use what I need.

Also, to extend tool life, you should always use the largest drive size that will fit the application.

So as a method when working, 1/2" should be first pick and only size down if it doesn't fit.

I tend to use chrome far more than impact with the exception of impact swivels. I once told my snapon man that if he denied a warranty he would be admitting that my ridgid cordless power tools were tougher than my snapon sockets. His exact words were that snapon doesnt even look at broken sockets sent back for warranty.

It seems some of the cordless tools are cable of making a square hole round these days. I was watching something on the Dewalt 961 1/2" impact totally destroy a large socket in about 10 bolts.

• Wow
Reactions: D60
It seems some of the cordless tools are cable of making a square hole round these days. I was watching something on the Dewalt 961 1/2" impact totally destroy a large socket in about 10 bolts.
The torque being output by the newer 1/2” impacts is getting ridiculous; they’re well into 3/4” dr territory.

Back