Using External Router on a Combo Modem/Router ???

Nokia is a Finnish company, Microsoft bought their phone division several years back. But yes, most of the hardware is produced in China, much of it the same under the skin for consumer gear.
Very cool! For some stupid reason I thought some China-based company bought them, but I just checked and you were correct. That actually makes me feel good.
I knew they were Finish company but thought China bought them.
Come to think of it they are one of China’s competitors in the 5G market.

Looking at those screenshots, it appears you may not be able to put it in bridge mode.

As far as Ooma not working, Ooma needs specific ports open to work. If your T-mobile device is blocking those outgoing ports, maybe that's the issue?

I don’t have Ooma office, Just residential service. I receive incoming calls but for some reason outgoings affected. I went in the forums and I’m hoping tech-support to reset the server. Which seems a solution that has worked for some.It’s not a dealbreaker we just use that home line to give out a phone number when required as I don’t give out my cell number unless it’s and important contact

Mk378, thanks for your reply. I know this is a long thread but I’ve decided to use the built-in router in the T-Mobile device and everything is working perfect except our home Ooma line.
Without the conflict of the Motorola router hooked up there are no slow ups.
My wife just reported to me here home office with they Cisco router and company phone as well as computer that all is good.
I might still play around with the Motorola for fun but again I can only do this in evenings while my wife works so not to disrupt her connection. I do find it interesting that the Cisco router which is plugged into the T-Mobile router modem is working perfectly. So maybe I could still get the Motorola working perfectly if I really want that home landline and can’t find a solution with the T-Mobile router modem combination. Believe it or not I prefer the T-Mobile device with its router, I’m getting a great Signal around the house and I like the choice of 2SS IDs for the high band.
I am extremely happy with the speeds and I think accurate to say has exceeded my hopes and expectations.
If my experiences are typical of the people signing up for this device, the cable companies are going to have a real rough time with this type of competition .
I can’t wait to call spectrum and cancel my service! But smart enough to know and give it enough time to prove itself before I do

IIRC, when I connected 2 routers together it was the 2nd router I had to change to bridged mode, the 1st router continued operating normally as its own thing and was basically just sending an IP over to the 2nd.

Basically the primary unit was assigning an IP to the secondary while broadcasting its own WiFi network (2.4ghz, I disabled 5ghz because it just didn’t work well) and the secondary was broadcasting its own WiFi networks (2.4 and 5) and handling its own DHCP. Setting it up this way did not let me see things on on the Primary Network (such as the wireless printer or their smart TV’s) and they couldn’t see the Smart TV’s down on my networks.

My local internet provider had a fit when my dad did something Similar with our home set-up. Something about not having two routers on the same line.

IIRC, when I connected 2 routers together it was the 2nd router I had to change to bridged mode, the 1st router continued operating normally as its own thing and was basically just sending an IP over to the 2nd.

Basically the primary unit was assigning an IP to the secondary while broadcasting its own WiFi network (2.4ghz, I disabled 5ghz because it just didn’t work well) and the secondary was broadcasting its own WiFi networks (2.4 and 5) and handling its own DHCP. Setting it up this way did not let me see things on on the Primary Network (such as the wireless printer or their smart TV’s) and they couldn’t see the Smart TV’s down on my networks.
Excellent and I think you have something there in your statement. This is what I was going to try IF I wanted to play around for curiosity sakes.
I do believe I can get the second Motorola router working. Reason being my wife home office Cysco router is working fine plugged into the TMobile router and suspect her company set it up and ships it to their employees this way, to avoid trouble.

With that said Skippy, wow, I mean, the Tmobile router is far and away better then anything I could have imagined for a modem/router combo. Been computing 25 years and NEVER used a modem/router because of performance, keep in mind I installed hundreds of wifi devices in businesses and customers homes so I have some idea what I am talking about.

Im going to leave it like it is for now while I test the TMobile service as I am dying to call Spectrum Internet and cancel my service, tell them to stick their 70% worth of price increases over the last 4 + years!!1 I cant wait !! *LOL* Its killing me!

Ill post a full review when the "test" is done. its everything I hoped for with some "catch" meaning, I got the newest 4g/5g LTE modem/router, I believe just released within weeks ago, to the point in forums I read some people were still getting the older ones and others the news ones when signing up and the people who have the older ones naturally want the new one.

So here is the catch. The app and firmware is buggy and can be frustrating, I think this device was rushed to market OR I got a bad one, time will tell but experience tells me, firmware updates are needed not the device.

I like to set up different SSIDs and assign certain devices to certain bands, which the router makes easy but its still full of bugs and takes repetitive entering the stuff in to finally get it right. This router was pushed out to market and I am an early adopter. I do love that I have 3 bands set up with 3 SSIDs 1- 2.4 and 2- 5ghz.

Talk about BUGS = BITOG seems to be full of them on some days!!!!! Like just now!!! Using Safari on my Mac Desktop, all of a sudden I get a message this "page is using significant resources" and I may want to close it. I suspect the new Advertising banners are messing something up in Safari, page froze, BITOG Froze and I lost this entire post!!!! BUT OH! I was smart enough to "copy" it when I saw the message! *LOL*

Looking at those screenshots, it appears you may not be able to put it in bridge mode.

As far as Ooma not working, Ooma needs specific ports open to work. If your T-mobile device is blocking those outgoing ports, maybe that's the issue?

Yeah, bridge mode is out for sure but I think I can get it to work as others posted above.

As far as Ooma, I got it working on my own. It was just the sequence of starting it up. Years ago, this happened on a different Router TP link
1. power down both devices (I actually disconnected the Cat cable for the heck of it too) Connect Cat cable, powered up modem, power up Ooma and all works good.

You might think I didnt I do this days ago? Well, I was working a getting the whole house set up and wifes work station running with limited time. I must have missed a step. You see, when I power things down in the past I simply switch the switch on a power strip, however to power down the T Mobile router you HAVE TO USE THE SWITCH ON THE ROUTER ITSELF as it has a built in battery back up. Like duh! *LOL*
You have to admit, that is an easy oversight :eek:)

That's not a bridge, that's serial NAT, based on what you are describing, and it's a big networking no-no.

In the scenario where you can't bridge the primary device, so it is still handing out private IP addresses and you want to take advantage of the wireless capabilities of another device, you disable the DHCP server on the 2nd device, assign it a static IP in the same subnet as the primary device, so for example, if your primary gateway was handing out 192.168.50.x and was 192.168.50.1, you'd limit your DHCP scope to reserve 192.168.50.1-10 and then give the 2nd device 192.168.50.2, so you could change settings on it easily, then you plug in one of its LAN ports to the primary device, so the 2nd device becomes a glorified Switch + Access Point.

^^^ I may need to look into this further, thanks for the info!!
Right now, sitting back and enjoying the new service for a while and using the provided Modem/Router ... working perfectly despite the "bugs" in setting it up.
Just cancelled my Charter/Spectrum service!!! Freaking AWESOME feeling! No longer tied to and held hostage to a wired data/internet connection.
I cut the cable to pay TV a decade ago and around the same time cut the telephone traditional landline service and moved over to VOIP Ooma Home Phone line. Now I am independent of the wired cable/telco companies for data all together! Completely out of my life!

I had a ball cancelling my service, Called Spectrum/Charter, pushed the button to "downgrade" my service, guy said I am at the lowest service 100/12 for $75. a. month. With excitement I said COOL!!!! Freaking awesome I told him! You made my day, now cancel my service!

Got to the cancelation dept and of course they wanted to talk more, I said no thank you! Any company that raises their rate to their loyal customers 70% over less then 5 years is no friend on mine, its deceptive, slimy, and quite honestly, I and the rest of America dont need you! *LOL*
What a ball I had.... BTW, I told each person before I spoke to them, not to take anything personal, we ALL work for companies and doing our jobs, Im always respectful, they know their company is a slimy unethical company, but its a job!

FREAKING AWESOME!!!! Bye bye cable companies!

Latest test just now, still getting things neat and tidy but exceeds my expectations, middle of the day, Saturday 2pm ... using TMobile Modem/router combo and TMobile internet (of course) from my Desktop Mac on Wi-Fi which furthest from the router in our second floor office, router in middle of the first floor.

Screen Shot 2021-01-09 at 2.09.01 PM.png

Last edited:
^^^ As with most companies everything is owned in China including Motorola which if I am correct is a division of Nokia now.
nope. nokia has nothing to do with it.
Jan 2011, Old Motorola Split in to two companies:
-Motorola Mobility ( consumer hardware mobile Phones, Cable modems/Routers, Set-top boxes etc)
-Motorola Solutions,(enterprise hardware)

May 2012, Google buys Motorola Mobility, and quickly sells the Non Mobile phone assets to Arris Group

Jan 2014, Google Sells The remaining Motorola Mobilty ( Mobile Phones) to Lenovo. (who yes, are Chinese)

That's not a bridge, that's serial NAT, based on what you are describing, and it's a big networking no-no.

In the scenario where you can't bridge the primary device, so it is still handing out private IP addresses and you want to take advantage of the wireless capabilities of another device, you disable the DHCP server on the 2nd device, assign it a static IP in the same subnet as the primary device, so for example, if your primary gateway was handing out 192.168.50.x and was 192.168.50.1, you'd limit your DHCP scope to reserve 192.168.50.1-10 and then give the 2nd device 192.168.50.2, so you could change settings on it easily, then you plug in one of its LAN ports to the primary device, so the 2nd device becomes a glorified Switch + Access Point.
This is exactly how my "network" is set up. 2 Identical Routers, flashed to DD-WRT, and then set up they way overkill described... it's worked for me for....10+ years now.... (Current hardware since...mid 2015)

First, let me say, I just love this stuff!
Im a bit of an explorer of all things electronics and have always been at the forefront of new stuff, all the way back to the days when family and friends would say "on my god, you gave out your credit card information over the internet" *LOL*
However, other then basics for most networking, just like anything, unless I had to learn something, well, too many subjects to know in this world and my knowledge spans across a wide universe of all things, right down to plants. *L*

With that said, I have been researching on Tmobile forums and other forums with this issue. Keep in mind I have the new Nokia unit and many comments are the older non Nokia ... anyway .. doesnt matter what unit, there is not bridge mode in either one. So "properly" using another router is out of the question (more on that in a min) Im loving this stuff and learning a lot, big thanks to Overkill for his detailed and knowledgable comments. I have seen other knowledgeable people make similar comments.

Ok, with that said, some seem to report what Skippy did as working for them. Also some comments about IP6 and google mesh systems.
I do want to, for fun try what he said, since it only involves plugging in a router. Here is what is tripping me into thinking for some unknown reason it sometimes works even if it is a no-no.

My wifes work station is working like this right now.
Her Cisco VPN router is plugged into the Tmobile router via Cat5 and a Netgear power line connector and it works fine. I assume there is another reason why it is working? Yet when I had the Motorola router plugged into the T Mobile router/modem combo and her work station plugged into the Motorola router and the wifi turned off on the Tmobile it worked fine the first 12+ hours and slowed down drastically after that.

Well, anyway, The Tmobile Combo Nokia unit is working perfectly (it has a buggy interface for sure) Our wifi is just as good if not better then the already very good Motorola unit was delivering so other then "just because" there is no reason to use the Motorola.

But, I cant help wonder why then, with my wifes work station Cisco router plugged into the back of the Nokia unit is everything working so well as it did with the Motorola unit too.

Interesting ... I do want to play more but will have to wait till next weekend (maybe) need to be careful now that I dont mess up anything, wife has to work during the week from home and if she cant, then has to use PTO just like if your car broke down and you couldn't work. *LOL*
I have nothing to fall back on if I mess up because we canceled Spectrum internet. What a GREAT feeling!

--

But, I cant help wonder why then, with my wifes work station Cisco router plugged into the back of the Nokia unit is everything working so well as it did with the Motorola unit too.
Why wonder? The Cisco device establishes its own VPN tunnel, using whatever underlying internet connection is given to it.

You’re correct, that’s what I had done. Been awhile since I had even seen that set up, we moved out a year ago but I left that set up behind with them and they haven’t had any issues to date. The Airport Extreme doesn’t play nice with double NAT, it bricks the network till you fix it.

To OP: Curious what the price is for this service. You mentioned your 100/12 cable was $75/mo.. I'm with ATT getting 24/6 via VDSL for $55. The T-mobile looks attractive.

Ok, now that I got the TMobile Home Internet perfected for our home and running perfectly, back to this subject because of something I read from Google. Which one would think has at least a little standing in the internet of things. So I am wondering what I am missing here, that no one, many with a lot of knowledge have mentioned this to me, not only that but people all over the place looking for the same solution as me but the google post, makes it sound like 1st grade stuff. Instead of putting the TMobile Router/modem combo into passthrough, why not use the router that I want to plug into it as an access point and set that one as passthrough since it will allow me??? ok,,, read on ... this is a little broken up because I am typing all over the place.

So I have this TMobile Home Internet LTE/5G Cell Modem/Router Combo produced by Nokia. The router works really amazing for what it is and what it is, is powerful. A typical homeowner will never need to add their own router, in fact if they did, they would most likely be downgrading their system unless of course, they spend a large amount of money. Not sure if any router could get more range.

Anyway, that isnt my issue. I live in an area that has acceptable cell signal required for the internet service, however Im a bit at the fringe edge.
What that means is the internet is 100% + reliable but if I want to maintain those 100 Mbps speeds vs 25 Mbps I had to move the Nokia combo unit to the very Southern part of our home. AMAZINGLY throughout my home I still get (within 15% maybe even 10%) those high speeds everywhere, except one of my outdoor cameras which happens to be exactly 100% at the extreme other end of the home, outside of the home, with of all things a brick exterior, its hit or miss connecting. All others are more then acceptable but as a future possible project I would like to add that 2nd modem back into the system, the Motorola 2600, back into the center of the home.

Soooo we? I learned in this forum that's its a no-no to simply plug a second modem into a modem/combo unit because of a double NAT. I get it and understand and thank you all... but ...
I also understand in most cases things will still work fine, most so in a home setting but the proper way is to have the modem.router combo set as a "Passthrough" I like the "proper way"
As we learned, not possible with the Tmobile/Nokia RouterModem. ITs a basic GUI that doesnt let you do anything except SSIDs and other very basic stuff. I have thought about loading the Nokia app on my phone and see if I could get into the settings instead of the TMobile, as the Nokia is made for other companies and in their GUI there is a passthrough setting.
But anyway, forget that for now.

Here is the google post I am referring too, using the second router as an access point ... is a proper way to stop double NAT.
https://support.google.com/wifi/ans...google-nest-wifi-router-or-primary-wifi-point

So I am reading googles instructions and if the Modem/Router cant be put into "Passthrough" put the add on router into passthrough and it will be an access point.
So what on earth am I missing here???????? Is that all there is too it???
I want to hook my Motorola Router up to the Tmobile combo unit that doesn't have a passthrough, So I can put the Motorola that does have a passthrough and use it as an access point?

Last edited:
Yes that is all there is to it. Your 2600 router will be doing nothing more than converting packets from wireless to wired and sending them unchanged to the T-Mobile box.

The separate AP allows you to deploy a strong wifi signal where the users are, with the T-Mobile box remaining placed for best cellular signal.

Configured for "passthrough," "bridged," or "dumb AP," the AP box will do no DHCP assignments, routing, NAT, or firewalling. Those functions are all handled by the main router. The main router sees users of the AP as a group of wired clients.

This means no special configuration of the main router is needed to add one or more dumb APs to the network. They are served like wired clients.

MK378^^^
Thank you very much for your response!
Now of course I think I understand this 100%. But I just thought of one other thing even though I think I know the answer, just wanted to confirm because now I’m thinking too much.

I will be using the SSIDs that I have programmed into the so called dumb router with its encryption which would be the Motorola 2600 plugged into the T-Mobile router with ethernet and I can turn off the Wi-Fi in the T-Mobile router.

Thanks again really appreciate it

Last edited:
Back