Using External Router on a Combo Modem/Router ???

This maybe a bit premature (as I am still working on it), as per my previous post (and photos) I now have a new TMobile Router/Modem Combo with T-Mobile Home Internet Service.
1. First day I configured it and turned off the WiFi radios. This wasnt too straight forward, for a layman anyway. Not like previous routers that were clearly labeled "On and Off" there are a bunch of different things I had to change to finally get the wifi turned off.

The reason I did this is I wanted to keep using my new Motorola external router. It works great and having sooooo many devices in my home (again previous post) I wanted to keep it simple and keep things working as they were by using the T-Mobile device as a modem only, but turned out anything but simple. I plugged the external Motorola router with a Cat Cable of course, into the back of the T-Mobile Modem/Router combo, its made by Nokia.
Everything worked great the first 24 hours but after that things slowed down to a crawl, I reset everything and speeds picked right up, then a short while later back down to a crawl. Seems like maybe a conflict in the Ip addresses?? Im pretty good with this stuff when things work like they should but really clueless about IP.

So out of frustration, and my wifes work station which she needs for work. Her work station is plugged into the back of the Motorola router via a power line adapter from a second floor room. I turned off the Wifi on the Motorola and left two Cat cables plugged in, the Motorola is plugged into a Spectrum modem and I want to cancel Spectrum once I figure this out, one for her workstation the other for our home landline.

I am currently using the Wifi through the T-Mobile Modem/Router and T Mobile Internet Service which is working quite impressive, in fact better then expectation. I simply set up the Wifi using the same SSID and Passwords, I very well may keep it this way and maybe not. Its seems quiet robust and signal so far strong, has 3 bands, 2.5, 5 low, 5 high.

The problem is, even if I do, if I plug my wifes work station into the Ethernet port on the back of the TMobile Device, speeds become lower, also if I plug my Ooma landline in, I get dial tone but cant call out.

SO question is, what I am I doing wrong with the Ethernet ports on the TMobile? Keeping in mind everything worked really well the first 12 to 24 hours before drastic slow downs. TMobile has their phone number for tech support in a number of places but hesitation to call and try to explain this to someone that I have no faith in helping me. I could be wrong but this is their Newest LTE/5G device which after researching has just started to be shipped in the last couple weeks so I do not have faith they willahve answers.

Im rambling, just if anyone is interested and has any thoughts. My time to work on this has been limited up until now and have to be careful not to disconnect my wife during her working day.

So currently 2 Cat 5 connections to the Motorola Router which is plugged into my Spectrum Modem, working perfect.
All other devices, gosh maybe up to 25 or so wireless working off the T Mobile router/modem with T Mobile Internet.
What am I missing here? I cant plug the 2 - Cat5 cables in and have them work properly for any long period of time.

Im working on this now that I am home from work, just thought I would post this question if someone had a really easy answer and who knows, maybe I will figure it out. The Router in the Tmobile device does not have a very robust User Interface.

For the average home, I will say, set up is quite simple, for someone who has set up routers before, like me. But deeper down into things I am clueless.

Can you take pictures of what you have set up.
Which Motorola Router do you have?

There's a few things here. I've seen this happen a lot where you will have the two devices conflicting and fighting over providing addresses.

You want to use one of the LAN ports on the tmobile router and connect it to one of the LAN ports on the Motorola. Note only do this after logging into the motorola router and disabling dhcp. Having two dhcp servers and likely two devices fighting to be the gateway is what was happening to cause your connection issues before.

So I would:

1) With the motorola not connected to anything else, sign into it (probably 192.168.1.1) and disable the DHCP server on it.
2) Identify what the IP address scheme of the t-mobile router is (IE, 192.168.1.1 ,, 192.169.10.1 ) and report back - we can walk you through the second part of assigning the address on the motorola
3) Set up Wifi settings on the Motorola
4) Connect the two via LAN ports on both

5) Enjoy

If you haven't already, you should put the T-Mobile modem/router combo in "bridged" or "pass through" mode so that it stops doing the routing and just passes a public IP address to your Motorola and let your Motorola do the routing. Otherwise, with two routers active, you may have double NAT-ing, multiple DHCP servers, and god knows what else happening.

If you haven't already, you should put the T-Mobile modem/router combo in "bridged" or "pass through" mode so that it stops doing the routing and just passes a public IP address to your Motorola and let your Motorola do the routing. Otherwise, with two routers active, you may have double NAT-ing, multiple DHCP servers, and god knows what else happening.

Beat me to it. He's doing serial NAT if he didn't do this step, which is a no-no.

Thanks for all your replies, wow you guys are great. I’ll work on this tonight.
I suspected something like all three of you have discussed above, but didn’t know where to go and what to do to correct it. Now that the darn TMobile router is working so well I’m not sure which direction to go so for right now I’m gonna try plugging my wife’s work station and our Ooma telephone into the T-Mobile and maybe eliminate the Motorola altogether I’m not sure ... But at least I have a clear direction, can’t thank you guys enough, I knew I was doing a no no just didn’t know what it was. Ha ha

If you haven't already, you should put the T-Mobile modem/router combo in "bridged" or "pass through" mode so that it stops doing the routing and just passes a public IP address to your Motorola and let your Motorola do the routing.
This! Two routers back to back will need static routes to make all devices reachable and double NAT without port forwarding will also break many applications.

Why not just change the Wifi network and password to match the Motorola router? I just got a new router...this makes it a piece of cake.

Why not just change the Wifi network and password to match the Motorola router? I just got a new router...this makes it a piece of cake.
Thats the first thing I did. Worked great for less then a day. I assume you do not have a Modem/Router that the new router is plugged into.
The posts above explain it. Two routers on the same modem, need some changes.

Miller, Quatto, Overkill, Wilson, REALLY appreciate the fast responses. You guys are great in this forum.
I get a few hour window to work on this during the workweek and only in the evenings. (keep in mind cant disturbe wifes home office until after 5)

Ok, this is where I stand. I have everything up and running but took the easier route for now due to limited time (but read on) I didnt think a built in router like the TMobile Router/modem could possibly be anywhere near as good as the separate Motorola that I have.
Anyway, due to time constraints, at least until the weekend. I removed the Motorola and have everything connected to the Tmobile combo.
Here is the funny part and I am having a hard time getting over it. The darn thing seems to work pretty darn good, with range, speed, ect. Its quite a robust unit and quite a charge if you cancel the service and dont return it. $385.

I used the same SSIDs for the 2.5 and 5 ghz. But the cool part is it also has 2 5 Ghz bands, one low and one high. So now decided to have all three with different SSIDs because I have specific uses and dont trust the device to always do the right thing. The high 5 is used almost exclusively for the 65" Sony which is literally on the other side of a wall maybe 10 feet away. Il use the 5ghz low for whatever I think most important and the 2.5 is primarily security cameras as the best range, 5 in all (including doorbell)

I hooked the Cat cable from my wifes workstation on the second floor via the Netgear power line adapter, powered down her Cysco router, repowered and working perfect (most important including her Avaya work phone)

This is really to soon to say but first impressions are very impressive, to the point this whole cell home internet is exceeding my expectations in speed and wifi signal . Over the next few days Ill go over the house with a wifi analyzer using a Samsung Tablet.

Sooo I have one issue left but not an emergency and again, will address in my spare time. Our never used Ooma phone isnt making outbound calls yet we get inbound. Not concerned, have it powered down and will repowered in a little while, from what I read, a call to Ooma and they will reset the "server"

Ok, back to what "if" I want to use my Motorola Router and use the TMobile as modem only. I am sure it is doable BUT the TMobile router interface is so limited I didnt see anyplace where I could possibly change any settings like discussed her. I mean this is so basic, I guess for the plug and play crowd. Yet working so well, but we will know more in the days ahead.
I do have some knowledge as far as what routers look like in programming because I always played around with my own, instead the last TPling and the current Motorola but this TMobile has the most basic of basic limited things you can do, like changing SSIDs and passwords.

Cant thank you all enough, I have what I need in this notes IF the TMobile router disappoints. The only thing it does disappoint in for me is very limited programming to play with. that's kind of a big thing for me because I enjoy it but it is what it is if it works like it SEEMs.

Ok, hope this makes sense, got to go try out that Ooma soon.

Miller, Quatto, Overkill, Wilson, REALLY appreciate the fast responses. You guys are great in this forum.
I get a few hour window to work on this during the workweek and only in the evenings. (keep in mind cant disturbe wifes home office until after 5)

Ok, this is where I stand. I have everything up and running but took the easier route for now due to limited time (but read on) I didnt think a built in router like the TMobile Router/modem could possibly be anywhere near as good as the separate Motorola that I have.
Anyway, due to time constraints, at least until the weekend. I removed the Motorola and have everything connected to the Tmobile combo.
Here is the funny part and I am having a hard time getting over it. The darn thing seems to work pretty darn good, with range, speed, ect. Its quite a robust unit and quite a charge if you cancel the service and dont return it. $385.

I used the same SSIDs for the 2.5 and 5 ghz. But the cool part is it also has 2 5 Ghz bands, one low and one high. So now decided to have all three with different SSIDs because I have specific uses and dont trust the device to always do the right thing. The high 5 is used almost exclusively for the 65" Sony which is literally on the other side of a wall maybe 10 feet away. Il use the 5ghz low for whatever I think most important and the 2.5 is primarily security cameras as the best range, 5 in all (including doorbell)

I hooked the Cat cable from my wifes workstation on the second floor via the Netgear power line adapter, powered down her Cysco router, repowered and working perfect (most important including her Avaya work phone)

This is really to soon to say but first impressions are very impressive, to the point this whole cell home internet is exceeding my expectations in speed and wifi signal . Over the next few days Ill go over the house with a wifi analyzer using a Samsung Tablet.

Sooo I have one issue left but not an emergency and again, will address in my spare time. Our never used Ooma phone isnt making outbound calls yet we get inbound. Not concerned, have it powered down and will repowered in a little while, from what I read, a call to Ooma and they will reset the "server"

Ok, back to what "if" I want to use my Motorola Router and use the TMobile as modem only. I am sure it is doable BUT the TMobile router interface is so limited I didnt see anyplace where I could possibly change any settings like discussed her. I mean this is so basic, I guess for the plug and play crowd. Yet working so well, but we will know more in the days ahead.
I do have some knowledge as far as what routers look like in programming because I always played around with my own, instead the last TPling and the current Motorola but this TMobile has the most basic of basic limited things you can do, like changing SSIDs and passwords.

Cant thank you all enough, I have what I need in this notes IF the TMobile router disappoints. The only thing it does disappoint in for me is very limited programming to play with. that's kind of a big thing for me because I enjoy it but it is what it is if it works like it SEEMs.

Ok, hope this makes sense, got to go try out that Ooma soon.

Usually these AIO units have a setting in them to change the operating mode from Gateway/Router to Bridged. That's the setting you are looking for, if it exists.

^^^^ Oops, one more thing, ONE THING that is cool is the top of the Modem/Router has an LED display with some stats, such as cell signal strength, battery back up charge(yes it has a 1 hr battery back up built in) number of devices currently running on it, which by the way without the phone and some tablets and laptops display is showing 18 devices currently running.

This stuff wouldn't satisfy you but it is handy, such as if one was in a weak area, since it has a battery back up, you can walk around your home and find the best cell signal. For me, I like looking at the devices, keep in mind, again, Im excited because Im in a mostly unexplored area with this home TMobile Unit, in fact, this unit is the newer one that is a tower and 5G built in, for when its available. Only came out in the last few weeks from what I read.

I was so pissed off at Spectrum for a 70% rate increase since 2016 that I feel like I did when I cut the cable a decade ago. :eek:)_
... and this is really cutting the cable, hopefully for good, since 5 G may help keep needed future speeds up.

Overkill - Sometime in the next few days, if it all keeps running right, Ill post screen shots of the options I have for settings, maybe I am missing something here but I never saw such a basic interface, never.

Sounds good, I look forward to seeing the screenshots, it's definitely possible that they've not provided you with that option.

Sounds good, I look forward to seeing the screenshots, it's definitely possible that they've not provided you with that option.
Ok, here they are, you can see how limited it is, strictly they dont want people messing with the router, the router works GREAT, Im so impressed but wish I had access, I suspect there is a back door someplace.
Some pages I cut as I didnt want any identifying info on BITOG but you can see from the pages how limited. The second screen is a greatly "chopped" screen shot with id information but the bottom line is, you can see under "System" There are no options to do anything.
Under "WiFI I just took a "chopped" version of the 5Ghz band void of information, its just your typical SSIDs, options and passwords as you know.
Im posting all these because I am in disbelief myself and want to show others, these options do not exist with this router.
Everything works perfect, except my Ooma telephone can not make outgoing calls but I get incoming, least of my concerns right now and something to work on, possibly even call Ooma to have them "reset" the server which in some forums fixed it. Wifes company phone works perfect. Did this quickly, running to work.
Screen Shot 2021-01-08 at 7.13.02 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-08 at 7.14.03 AM.png
"Wifi" is from the "Status Page" too much info on it for a forum
Screen Shot 2021-01-08 at 7.14.38 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-08 at 7.23.44 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-08 at 7.15.26 AM.png

Last edited:
Wow this is the future of home internet I think. Cellular direct to consumer.

Will make most sense in rural areas first.

I wonder if that Tmobile gateway is a branded ASUS device.

Tmobile partnered with ASUS for years to give customers with cell phone problems in house routers that would provide calling in the home.

I have one of these "free" devices and flashed custom DDWRT software on it, and use as my primary router. It's an ASUS RT-AC68U under the cover.

Never heard of a motorola consumer router, I think for what you are doing the Tmobile gateway may be just fine. If you want to get into more exotic networks or security then you will need something running DDWRT.

I do quite a bit of traffic shaping, QOS, and isolated WLAN networks so I needed DDWRT.

^^^ As with most companies everything is owned in China including Motorola which if I am correct is a division of Nokia now. The modem router combination has Nokia name on the bottom of it. From what I understand in T-Mobile’s financials is that Nokia developed this for them.
It’s only been about 48 hours but I am thoroughly impressed by its performance including its range And get this it has no antennas which may become a thing of the past in tall units like this, I kind a like the LED display at the top as well.
I think it is correct the reason for limiting the amount of settings is they want this strictly for home use at this time as in the literature it’s not available for businesses at this time.
I think safe to say until a full 5G roll out they need to make sure they don’t overtax their network. Yes I think this is all quite cool!!
I think the cable companies have got some real competition on their hands. They are also making available or maybe it’s already available some TV programming but I have no interest in that.

Last edited:
^^^ As with most companies everything is owned in China including Motorola which if I am correct is a division of Nokia now. The modem router combination has Nokia name on the bottom of it. From what I understand in T-Mobile’s financials is that Nokia developed this for them.
It’s only been about 48 hours but I am thoroughly impressed by its performance including its range And get this it has no antennas which may become a thing of the past in tall units like this, I kind a like the LED display at the top as well.
I think it is correct the reason for limiting the amount of settings is they want this strictly for home use at this time as in the literature it’s not available for businesses at this time.
I think safe to say until a full 5G roll out they need to make sure they don’t overtax their network. Yes I think this is all quite cool!!
I think the cable companies have got some real competition on their hands. They are also making available or maybe it’s already available some TV programming but I have no interest in that.

Nokia is a Finnish company, Microsoft bought their phone division several years back. But yes, most of the hardware is produced in China, much of it the same under the skin for consumer gear.

When you say it worked good for 24 hours then slowed down, you need to find what changed. It wasn't your basic network setup.

Cellular speeds will vary, over a wide range, based on how much other usage is being served from the tower. If you use your own router you can set up SQM rate limiting to basically make your network like the turtle in the fable. It will go slow but steady versus sometimes fast and sometimes almost completely stopped (bufferbloated). Set it not to exceed a rate that you expect the cellular network can always deliver.

I look at these devices as a source of Internet only and try to simplify the configuration so as far as possible, that is all it does. Since you've shut down its wifi it only needs to be sited for the best cell signal, which means up high. If there is a cellular status page it might show you some numbers identifying exactly which tower it has connected to, then you can go to cellmapper or similar site to identify which side of the house that is toward.

Don't get hung up over NATting, every phone company uses carrier grade NAT so your modem will never have a true public IPv4. The choice you have is double NAT vs triple NAT, and that's really not much different.

Looking at those screenshots, it appears you may not be able to put it in bridge mode.

As far as Ooma not working, Ooma needs specific ports open to work. If your T-mobile device is blocking those outgoing ports, maybe that's the issue?

Back