Using diesel oil in a gas pickup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1999 Ranger 4L V6, about 20k miles ago I had a cracked head, had both heads replaced, they were remanufactured heads. Right after that my truck started using oil, about 2 quarts between 3000 mile changes. It never used oil before, so I assume it has something to do with the rebuilt heads. I have tried high milage oils, oil additives, like no smoke, they help some. I went to 20/50 oil and that seems to help also, there is no noticible smoke. I read somewhere that using oil for diesel engines will slow down oil consumption, would it be ok to use it in my gas engine? The truck has 101,000 on it now. Would it hurt anything?

Any warranty there? You said right after rebuild, why not tell them then? The heads may be correctly functioning, but either joined wrong or as other have said, the tighter top has stressed the rings and now oil using. If actually using 20w50, I doubt anything else other than a mechanical fix will help.IMHO.

No, was a 1 year warranty, its been 2 years or so, I thought using a little oil after replacing the heads was normal, wasnt much at first, but now it uses more. The post I read this guy said his truck used a lot of oil, and switching to oil thats made for diesel engines, completely stopped the oil consumption.

The diesel oil is not only OK in car engines, but very good.

The problem is that for most cars, it is a little too thick.
For you, this is not the case at the moment.

All that oil has to be going somewhere. A leak, or burning it.
Bad intake gasket could suck oil and into the CCs.
The rings may not have been protected or cleaned, and the ensuing bath of coolant or debris when the heads came of may have got in there and caused problems.

I'd go back and tell them, but it may be getting too late.

Get a compression/leak down test and see if rings are bad, and how so. 2 quarts of what oil used? and how much less with 20w50?Diesel oil typical 15w40, so thinner than 20w50, if engine uses one will also the other and maybe more. Cat can cope with oil, its there for unburned hydrocarbons, at least for a while. Try the diesel if you like, not harmful, likely not a cure either.IMHO.

I was using castrol syntec high mileage 10w-40, was using a little over 2 qts in 3000 miles. I switched to castrol 20w50 and I have only added 1 quart in the last 3000 miles, but I also added bardol no smoke additive. There are no sign of oil leaks, and no visable engine smoke. I thought it might be the heads using oil through the valve guides, but mabe it was due to tighter heads causing oil consumption

Your climate may allow 20w50 most of year. 1 quart per 3k is acceptable, to some anyway. If mpg's not to bad continue to use that. If head was cracked, maybe warpage to block on that side. Was it checked or re-milled with other work?

Not sure, but the engine was never hot, guess i'll just live with it, truck runs ok

packy, you restored a lot of vacum to your upper cylinder with the rebuilt heads. sounds like you may be sucking oil past your oil control rings. i'd just use a cheap oil (supertech) and just run it until it dies. i doubt using a hdeo 15w-40 is going to slow down your consumption issue.

people will disagree with me here.

As a last ditch effort to try and control the oil consumption on my girlfriends 2002 vw jetta, i added a bottle of the (CD2 For Oil Burning) additive on the last oil change. I didnt have high hopes at all (last ditch effort) but it seems to be working. It burned about a 1-1.5 quarts every 1000 miles. Its been a thousand miles so far and looking like its working, havent added any oil so far. Ill update in another thousand miles. good luck

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back