Using Brake Cleaner in Engine Compartment

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
While checking the oil this morning, I noticed a little oily residue on the hose coming from the power steering reservoir. I don't yet know if it's a minor leak or just some sloppiness left over from the last fluid change. I have some brake cleaner handy ... can I use it to clean the oily area on the plastic reservoir and hoses ... will the cleaner cause any damage?

no issues to report. spray away.

MAKE SURE ITS DRY BEFORE YOU START THE ENGINE. i may of had a fire once or twice
You MAY have had a fire? I would think having a fire in your engine compartment would be something you'd be sure about, one way or another. If you had a fire, would that not be an issue?

You may be at risk of damaging the rubber components or hoses in the engine bay assuming you sprayed the entire area or was it more localized spraying directed towards the hard body components.

@Shel_B I use brake cleaner sparingly. Most of the time I use it to spray oil spills before cleaning them or pressure washing them off concrete. I use brake cleaner on new rotors though, unless instructions say otherwise.

Most of the time I use this stuff, or something very similar:

It's foam and can be rinsed away with water. It melts oils away, literally, without harming plastics, rubber, or anything of value. I love this stuff.

ed0e1d2d26d44b28f2aff1cd45494d3de9b0aafb66972aec8265e517db57a251.jpeg

It can cloud plastic or make it more brittle. A little here and there won't be too bad, but don't do it every weekend to "detail" it or whatever.
My MotivX Toyota oil funnel has crazing on the lower barrel - due to me using brake clean on it. Polycarbonate, acrylic and most other plastics save for polyethylene don’t like the stuff.

Keep in mind, there’s non-chlorinated brake clean using acetone, a hydrocarbon like heptane or toluene and maybe some methanol or isopropyl alcohol. And there’s the chlorinated stuff that’s mostly perchloroethylene(some also list carbon tetrachloride) that’s certainly not CARB/OTC-legal. And there’s a new chlorinated CA-legal one using Oxsol, PCBTF that Berryman’s is selling. It dries slower and cleans somewhat better than the non-chlorinated stuff.

no issues to report. spray away.

MAKE SURE ITS DRY BEFORE YOU START THE ENGINE. i may of had a fire once or twice
That's strange.

I use brake cleaner to find vacuum leaks, when I don't have a gas torch at hand - while the engine is running of course.
Never had a fire, and I do this since donkey's years.

Frank

I use mass air flow sensor spray cleaner around plastics and rubber. It removes oil and grease and won’t harm plastics. CRC 2/56 contact cleaner works well too. It’s not flammable and won’t hurt plastics. It will freeze objects because it is Freon. If used on an electronic component, wait a while before putting the part back in service. It cools the components and they will act a bit crazy until they return to room temperature.

I use mass air flow sensor spray cleaner around plastics and rubber. It removes oil and grease and won’t harm plastics.
I can confirm mass air flow cleaner will not harm plastics. I used MAF cleaner for a sometimes working cruise control button on the kia. worked great, and did not harm the plastic button ect.

Cleaning an engine bay? I think I've powerwashed mine once or twice, but for the most part... oil leaks are free rustproofing, no good reason to throw that away.

Will say, if you get a diesel leak though, you should fix that, I didn't realize the very slow weep that I had would take out a coolant line. That was a long cold drive home after that line went, and a couple days downtime while I waited for that line in the mail.

Back