Got PS fluid on brand new serpentine belt. Should I change it?

So I probably should have done this procedure in reverse doing the serpentine belt last but I just changed my serpentine belt (Bando $13) on our Odyssey and the next day I flushed power steering fluid and cleaned the screen on the reservoir. While doing this the hose came out of the tube I had it funneling in to and went all over the engine including the belt and most pulleys. I sprayed a good amount of brake parts cleaner around the area and the belt sounds and looks fine but it's very tacky to the touch now and the inside ribbed side feels a little oily still. Will this eventually burn off or should I just take the $13 hit and get a new belt?

Coincidentally, yesterday when I was teaching my son to change oil, he spilled some oil on the belt. We took it off, and washed it in a bucket of water and dishwashing detergent. Cleaned the pulleys with brake cleaner. All seems well.

Coincidentally, yesterday when I was teaching my son to change oil, he spilled some oil on the belt. We took it off, and washed it in a bucket of water and dishwashing detergent. Cleaned the pulleys with brake cleaner. All seems well.
I hadn't thought of that. Maybe I'll take it off and wash it.

Take it off and wash it. Clean the pulleys as well.
The belt will be damaged by a long term oil exposure or by attracting dirt and grime. Without washing it off, the oil will not really dry off anytime soon, so there will be plenty of time to attract dirt and cause problems later on.

Back