Using a little oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
The vehicle is an 07 rav4 2.4 awd . 85000 miles on the clock . I use penzoil synthetic 5-20 exclusively . I'm losing maybe a half quart or less < than 500 miles . No leaks visible .
Where should i start looking ? Pvc ,egr ... ?
Thanks for any ideas you can help out with .
I'd just like to have some ideas before headig to the dealers and they say something like valve guides or rings .
wink.gif
if that happens , it' s CRV the next day .
smile.gif
okay rant over .

Last edited:
PCV is easily replaced and located just under the plastic shroud, rear passenger side. Probably costs six bucks. If that's not the problem I might guess valve stem seals which probably isn't an expensive job on this engine.

I've had both the 2az and the k24 in the crv at the same time. The Honda is a better engine, I'm not sure it's that much better I'd deal with the hassle of trading one for the other. I'd at least spend the time to see what went wrong with this one. Toyota probably sold 250,000 of those 2.4's every year from '01 until 2011 and they don't all burn a quart every 1000 miles... there's definitely a problem here somewhere.

Last edited:
- Change the PCV.
- Pull the spark plugs and examine.
- How is the tail pipe? Is it black with wet, oily soot?
- Check the underside. Sometimes there may be no oil drips on the floor, but the underside may be coated in a nice layer of fresh oil. Some oil leaks happen when the engine is running and oil pressure is present, but then again, at 1qt per 1000 miles something would make it to the ground
21.gif

Thanks! I'm not a home right now ( in for a chemo session ) 'til Wednesday. . But as soon as I get back , I'll check all those Items mentioned . Thanks very much !
john

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gabe
A quart every 1000 miles is not what I would call 'using a little oil'

I would, 500mi per qt is a lot of oil...

You can buy a LOT of oil for the cost of ONE new car payment...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back