Uses for fresh mozzarella?

There is a small supermarket I pass by occasionally that has fresh mozzarella balls at the deli counter. They are a little smaller than a tennis ball and cost around $2.50 depending on weight. I usually pick one up whenever I'm in there. They are soft and tender compared to the mass made packaged mozzarella. Other than sliced in salads or with a sandwich, what other uses are they good for? No I don't make pizza. They are pretty bland tasting so not really sure why I even buy them.

Layering on top of Chicken Parmesan or use in lasagna and baked ziti.

It also goes well with tomato, basil, olive oil and balsamic (ie. Caprese salad/sandwich) or use it for garlic bread.

It has a milder flavor compared to low-moisture mozzarella (blocks).

There is a small supermarket I pass by occasionally that has fresh mozzarella balls at the deli counter. They are a little smaller than a tennis ball and cost around $2.50 depending on weight. I usually pick one up whenever I'm in there. They are soft and tender compared to the mass made packaged mozzarella. Other than sliced in salads or with a sandwich, what other uses are they good for? No I don't make pizza. They are pretty bland tasting so not really sure why I even buy them.
Pizza would be ideal. Nothing better than a homemade pizza on naan bread with some fresh Mozz. Alternatively, lasagna, various pasta bakes, caprese salad, charcuterie boards, etc.

If you look up sausage stuffed shells with spinach you can find uses for the soft mozzarella you described. You’ll find the soft style is best used in a recipe that requires a bit of baking. You can skip the spinach if it’s not to your liking and just go with uncased sausage and assorted spices. Stuffed into just underdone shells and baked it’s quite good. Melts right in and gives a creamy texture. Jarred sauce is ok, fresh basil helps.

Made some tomato salad.

IMG_9106.JPG

Ok, that looks good. A little greenery gives it a little boost. Parsley, basil, that sort of stuff. Or just keep as is. It’s your call. Anybody who can keep a Versa on the road like you can figure out a tomato salad.

Last edited:
Sliced with either a really great red sauce or just a great olio d'oliva, basilico, e sale e pepe!

Back