Useing oil. 4.6 Ford. Valve stem seals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys the T bird useing oil . Half a quart every 3 weeks or so. It's the nortourious 4.6 valves stems leak. I have 125,000 on this car. Im not going to get it fixed due to cost and getting another car in a year. I use Havoline 5w30 in it now and for the last 5 years .OCI have been at 3-4K's Relegiously. I was thinking about stepping up to 10w 30 to maybe slow the leak consuption alittle. Am I wrong about this thinking. I live in Winston Salem NC. The car is a short trip car normally and several times aday. Dropping off and picking up kids from school and such. Thanks for any imput, WarDawg

Try some of the Havoline High Mileage oils. This is what they were designed for. If this is because of valve stem seals the high mileage oils will soften them up a little to slow the usage, plus it is a little thicker than the regular oils. I believe Havoline makes their high mileage oils in both 5W30 and 10W30. In any case, with that mileage and your problem you would have no trouble stepping up to a 10W30 or even a 10W40.

My 91' Lincoln calls for 5w-30 and the PO used 10w-30 all the time. I was using 5w-30 and had to go back to 10w-30 to slow the consumption. The volume of oil splashed around the valve/cam area of the 4.6L is alot more than most OHC enignes, so any additives or special oil is not going to help. I have tried and had no results. The problem is a faulty design and the solution requires replacement of the seals.

The only thing you can do is use 10w30 to help slow it down. The fel pro brand stem seals are about $20 a set and the compressor tool is another $85 and can usually be rented or bought cheap off ebay. Once you get the valve covers off, it looks pretty easy.

I was told by an engineer that some oil consumption is actually a good thing bc it is lubricating the valve stem seals or something like that. I'll have to find the exact response. They have done studies that show in many cases, engines that use some oil last longer than those that don't. However, I don't think this means that in all cases it is good or acceptable.

While I do not dispute the possibility of valve stem seal leak, but in your case 0.5 qt per 3 weeks(assuming reasonable mileage travelled, and not something like 1000miles/wk), that is waaaaaay too much for a valve stem seal leak given all else equal.

No, I begin to suspect that it's not just the valve stem seals but your rings may be burning oil and/or you also have some serious leak somewhere.

Perform the usual checks such as cylinder leakdown test, read your spark plug conditions, have a look at the piston top to see if there's excessive oily carbon deposits, intake valve deposits, etc.

I would seriously consider performing a complete "once over" on this engine if I were you.

I actually haven't done the things you mentioned. But the year 1996 4.6 is nortorious for the valve stem seals. I just figured it was them. I just want to make this engine go for about a year and it's trade in time.... Its actually been a very good car. Bought it new. No problems at all. But I have two kids now and it's a 2 door car. Time for a 4 door 4 banger ( gas mileage ) . Thanks WarDawg

wardawg,

i would not worry unless your oil consumption (not leaks) is higher than 1 qt per 1000 miles

if it is intake valve stem seal leak, there will be large globs of carbon oil products built up on the intake valve tulip backsides.....
give it a douch with Berryman B12, full can in thru throttle body with 1/8" tube at 2k rpm into hot engine...turn off and let soak for 1>2 hours....then out to freeway for hard 20 mile run

your ring packs will also be plugged and packed which increases oil consumption and ring/cylinder wall wear
may require 2 treatments

follow up with ARX to finish cleaning ring packs

guys are right, switch to one of the high mileage oils...consider a 10w30...Valvoline Maxlife has high levels of seal conditioner

Yep a known problem on the 94-95 model years. I would just drive it and try the hi-mileage stuff. I did that and found it help a little but mine still puffs at the lights. I do have an 2002cexplorer mill looking for a new home and the bird will get a new heart.

I recommend installing a new Motorcraft pcv valve & rubber grommet ($7 for the set), along with using a high-mileage 10w30 or 10w40 oil. A new Motorcraft pcv valve/grommet slowed consumption considerably in my '97 Expedition 4.6L. I have the same mileage as the original poster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back