Used Riding Mower ???????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be looking at some used riding mowers soon and I need some advice as to what to look for. I need just a simple mower as I will be mowing around an acre or less. I have 0 experience with riding mowers so any help is appreciated.

^ +1 a "tractor" is just an ego boost, and the extra weight will wreck your lawn from the wheel ruts etc.

OTOH the blades spin faster on a ride on than a walk behind (for safety reasons) and will pulverize the grass if set up right.

I 've been checking craigs list for mowers, and riders can be had for a few hundred $$$. It just so happens a friend just gave me a snapper mower just like what Johny recommended. The motor blew so I tracking down a replacement .It has the bagger setup and looks like a well built unit. Remember to check the oil, the guy that has mine let it run almost dry and the motor went KABOOM!!.,,

Tractors are easier on your butt and back because they don't bump you to death. Beware of used riders on Craigslist. Make sure the seller can easily start it cold and lets you mow a few strips with it. Look to see if it's cutting even and listen for bad rattles, knocks and squeaks. Pull the dipstick and look at the oil. It could tell a story of non-care that might make you pass up the deal.

If you can buy one from your cousin or neighbor who has never given you reason to mistrust him or from a close personal friend, you may do great. If you buy one from Fred down the street who "works on stuff" you may not be happy with the end result. I sell one rider out of 15 that I take in. I scrap most because when someone brings one back to me, I work on it for free because of this stupid conscience thingy. Not worth the hassle, so I strip them, sell some things (starter, carb) on EBay and give my scrap guy the rest. Sometimes I save the wheels and tires for neighborhood kids who will take them home to make the go kart that never gets made. I'm sure their parents love me.

Originally Posted By: Jason2007
I will be looking at some used riding mowers soon and I need some advice as to what to look for. I need just a simple mower as I will be mowing around an acre or less. I have 0 experience with riding mowers so any help is appreciated.

A simple mower meaning you want to spend ~$500 or less? If tinkering with old iron oldies or name brands isn't your thing, I'd look for a used, gear drive AYP lawn tractor; Craftman, Weedeater, Poulan or Husqvarna. Cheapy MTD units can be okay, I just don't care for shift on the go Transmatic models which most MTDs in this price range tend to be.

Joel

Old style riding mowers vanished completely when the zero turn fad hit the market.
Still, I did see a new, cheap rider at the local Fleet/Farm.
$650-7 or 8 HP.
Looked flimsy.
Weed Eater brand IIRC.
A good tractor is still the best deal.

You can pretty much always find a 5 year old rider from a box store for less than $300 on Craigslist or the classifieds/Bargain Mart. If you can pull a carb and clean out varnish, half the time you get them for practically free.
A lot of people view mowers as disposable, so the first time they don't start they get another one.

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
I did see a new, cheap rider at the local Fleet/Farm.
$650-7 or 8 HP.
Looked flimsy.
Weed Eater brand IIRC.

That's unusual. I haven't seen a front engine rider with less than 11-13hp in many years. Weed Eater would be an AYP made machine.

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back