Used Pilot vs Highlander 2016-2018 vintage

Wife still looking at vehicles.

I am not stuck on Japanese brands, but these are what we are currently looking at. Would like 3rd row, as they have decent cargo space and AWD as we have 6 months of winter. We have a 3,500lb camper, but towing that with new vehicle isn't a must.

What are the collective thought here?

Thanks! Your opinion is more valued than you know!

All I can say is I have had no problems at all with my Pilot. It has been a great vehicle.

The 3 rows on my Highlander are in reality 2.5. I would look at the third row (putting bodies there and imagining a 3 hour drive, or however long they'd need to be there) before I'd buy a Highlander banking on the idea that it has 3 rows. I'm not complaining--I love mine. I use it as my daily driver; just that we have a 7 seater Sienna for long road trips. Our youngest child would stretch out lengthwise across that third row, but still told us that she was more comfortable in the Sienna.

I am not stuck on Japanese brands, but these are what we are currently looking at. Would like 3rd row, as they have decent cargo space and AWD as we have 6 months of winter. We have a 3,500lb camper, but towing that with new vehicle isn't a must.

We bought our '16 HL new in March 2016. First year of new generation Pilot was that year so no way on the '16 for us then. The 2017 HL introduced the direct injection engine.
Yes, the HL is a small 3rd row suitable for children or small adults (think 120# max).
We do really like our HL. Very reliable. We have 105k miles & will be changing the front brake pads in the next couple weeks for the first time. All maintenance has been pretty easy - it's screwed together well.

Both are good vehicles. If you care for a better driving experience, go Pilot...more entertaining engine and superior AWD system. Both are reliable, VCM muzzler not a bad idea on the Pilot but the newer J35s like this one don't drink oil like the last gen Pilot. Transmission on the Pilot will depend on which trim level you get. Both 3rd rows are probably equally as small...maybe slight edge to the Pilot.

Stay away from Pilot with 6spd transmission if no records of frequent transmission fluid change are readily available. Lots of Pilot over 60k miles experience torque converter shudder ultimately required to be replaced.

Forget Highlander; get Pilot in that case.
AWD in Pilot is MUCH better. You can muzzle VCM.

Back