New Honda Pilot, Toyota Highlander, or Subaru Ascent?

Originally Posted by edyvw

If off road is required, then any car based SUV is not good decision. If snow is going to be often occurrence, any minivan with AWD or SUV vehicle based with AWD will be better than Sequoia. ONLY advantage Sequoia has over minivan is off road capability. That is it!

I think you forgot about towing.

Originally Posted by TCU_Adam
If you want to take any road trips that require off road travel, I would absolutely side with your wife and stay as far away from a minivan as possible. My dad says to this day that one of the best decisions he ever made was to go with a Sequoia over a Sienna. That car has been on some gnarly 4x4 trails in the Colorado mountains completely stock.

On another note, I would look into excessive oil consumption in Subaru. Someone said they have a good track record with their engines. Not the case. They lost a huge lawsuit a few years ago and I've seen some new complaints from the newer models too.

If off road is required, then any car based SUV is not good decision. If snow is going to be often occurrence, any minivan with AWD or SUV vehicle based with AWD will be better than Sequoia. ONLY advantage Sequoia has over minivan is off road capability. That is it!

I can't speak for the newer models, but this was back in 2002. That Sequoia is indestructible to this day. Does fantastic in the snow too.

Originally Posted by glock19

I think you forgot about towing.

OK, towing and off road.

If you want to take any road trips that require off road travel, I would absolutely side with your wife and stay as far away from a minivan as possible. My dad says to this day that one of the best decisions he ever made was to go with a Sequoia over a Sienna. That car has been on some gnarly 4x4 trails in the Colorado mountains completely stock.

On another note, I would look into excessive oil consumption in Subaru. Someone said they have a good track record with their engines. Not the case. They lost a huge lawsuit a few years ago and I've seen some new complaints from the newer models too.

I can't speak for the newer models, but this was back in 2002. That Sequoia is indestructible to this day. Does fantastic in the snow too.

Sequoia is OK in snow. I had opportunity to drive them here a lot, I see them a lot, and any of my three vehicles will do better in snow than Sequioa.
Snow is all about dynamic. The worst vehicles in snow are JEEP Wranglers, and similar off road vehicles. Snow is not only moving forward, it is handling and most importantly stopping.
My Sienna with Michelin winter tires or Sequoia with winter tires? I will take Sienna any day.

Originally Posted by jcartwright99
Suburu. Legit AWD system, as the other two are posers.

The 2016-current Pilot leverages a great system called SH-AWD in Acura. I owned both a Subaru and Acura MDX sh-awd and both excellent. No idea what Toyota has but the gap is narrowing on Subaru AWD.

Originally Posted by madRiver
Originally Posted by jcartwright99
Suburu. Legit AWD system, as the other two are posers.

The 2016-current Pilot leverages a great system called SH-AWD in Acura. I owned both a Subaru and Acura MDX sh-awd and both excellent. No idea what Toyota has but the gap is narrowing on Subaru AWD.

Not sure about 2021 HL, but current one is far from serious AWD. It does its job though.

Last edited:
Back