Used oil analysis finding coolant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed some milky substance on my oil fill cap and a thin layer of milky substance on the end of my dip stick. This is making me question my head gaskets. I'm thinking about changing my oil now and send some into blackstone. Will blackstone be able to tell if its actually coolant in the oil and not just moisture from condensation and such? Also what are everyone else's opinions on whether the moisture is from coolant or other sources? The amount of moisture we are talking about is not huge amounts so I'm not surprised I haven't seen a noticeable drop in coolant level if that's the source of it. Thanks for everyone's input.

I would fill your engine with some cheap SM rated dino and a new filter and run that. It's cheaper than a UOA and will tell you just the same. If it turns milky then you have a coolant leak.

If it stays normal for your OCI then you are fine and it could have been just condensation.

Also check your PCV valve is functioning as it could be causing the oil to turn funny colours if it's not working properly. Actually I would just replace it with a new OEM one to be sure.

cheers3.gif

I plan on just filling it with cheap Motorcraft this fill. My driving habits just recently changed, 2 miles to school in the morning, 2 miles home in the afternoon. 9 miles to work, and 9 miles back a few times a week. These driving habits definitely seem conducive to condensation, I just feel the amount of moisture I'm seeing is a little much just from condensation. My PCV system is functioning, I have checked it recently. But to be honest with you, being supercharged and not having performance piston rings, it has a decent amount of blow by. I can see vapor puffing out the oil fill cap if I rev it in park. Under idle the PCV valve is enough to suck up all the blow by. I was just hoping a UOA would determine if its moisture from coolant or condensation.

In light of this other info... I would get a UOA then, get a TAN analysis on your oil.

The report from Black Stone will tell you how your oil is holding up under your driving conditions, if it contains fuel, moisture or coolant and if it's turning acidic from all the combustion byproducts.

It's a small investment towards your engines health.

If it's just because you are "Short Tripping" it you could take a longer way to work each morning or take it for a good long run on the highway once a week.

You could also use an oil pan heater or engine block heater to preheat the engine so that when you are making those short trips its warming up quicker and possibly able to burn off the moisture. (Oil pan heater would be best IMO)

So do you recommend draining it now like I suggested? What's the difference between a TAN test and the TBN test? If I drain it now with 1500 miles on it, does a TAN test hold any significance? How will blackstone identify coolant? German Castrol does not have sodium but I have added some MaxLife which I think does contain sodium. My G-05 coolant is phosphate free.

TBN tells you what level the additive package is at. 1 needs to be replaced 7-10 is new oil. Usually most cars are at about 2-4 after an OCI.

TAN tells you the "Total Acid Number" which is how acidic the oil is becoming from doing its job and from the by-products of combustion it is absorbing. It can also be an indicator of a PCV/Breathing system fault if it's too high too quickly into the OCI.

Anything over 500 miles will produce enough results to be measured in TAN, Moisture, Fuel Dilution and Coolant testing.

Black Stone will also tell you if it's out of range for your application at that mileage.

They identify coolant the same way they identify all the other microscopic contaminants in your oil through their testing process.

When you tell them what oil you ran tell them in the comments section when you fill out the form that you added some Valvoline MaxLife and what type and they will take that into account.

You can tell them what kind of coolant you have, I think they can still pick up on it anyways, but the more information the better.

If you want some really good information about what is going on in your engine ask them for the Terry Dyson analysis, it costs more but you will get a super analysis with Terry's expert experience and you will be blown away by his service and can ask him all the questions you want at anytime because you become a customer for life with him.
wink.gif

I'm a customer of his and happy I found him.

cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back