Used oil analysis company

Motor check oil analysis clinic versus Blackstone laboratories? Is there really much of a difference? The only reason why I'm asking. I sent out a sample to Blackstone labs. Over two weeks ago. It's still MIA the post office can't locate it, so I'm going to send out another sample, so I was thinking about going with someone else, I realize it's not blackstone's fault, but I was just curious..
Thank you...

Blackstone took 7 business days after receiving my samples to test them. The usps got it to them in 3 days. People here that use Polaris, wix, Napa and oil analyzers seem to have 1-2 day turnarounds. Blackstone is slower than the others apparently.

Blackstone took 7 business days after receiving my samples to test them. The usps got it to them in 3 days. People here that use Polaris, wix, Napa and oil analyzers seem to have 1-2 day turnarounds. Blackstone is slower than the others apparently.
Unfortunately I mailed it in the Black bottle, I should have put it in an envelope, so that's why it's probably taking so long to get to Blackstone!!

Keep in mind that one of the reasons Blackstone has been so slow is they get tons of samples. And this means they have tons of data for universal averages. If that is important to you, then it may make the wait worth it.

The USPS is slow in delivering the black sample containers. Give it at least a month before you worry.

I think Blackstone is too expensive and does not provide a TBN unless you pay even more. NAPA is $16 and includes TBN.

The USPS is slow in delivering the black sample containers. Give it at least a month before you worry.
This is my experience also. For some reason, USPS to Blackstone is very slow.

By contrast, my last sample was sent via FedEx and results were back within a week.

This is my experience also. For some reason, USPS to Blackstone is very slow.

By contrast, my last sample was sent via FedEx and results were back within a week.
I just tracked it again today after I ordered another, oil sample bottle yesterday, and go figure it should be in Indiana tomorrow to Blackstone labs after 3 weeks. Next time I'm sending it priority Mail!! I should have never sent it in the black container!! I didn't know until I seen it on here. They are supposed to be switching to an envelope anyway they said..

I'd like to get a send an oil sample in for testing. I'm interested in knowing if I have fuel dilution issues, and if so, to what extent. Looking for a recommendation for which company to go with and if I need to make any special requests when I send it off. Not looking to spend a ton of money, though.

Keep in mind that one of the reasons Blackstone has been so slow is they get tons of samples. And this means they have tons of data for universal averages. If that is important to you, then it may make the wait worth it.
New here, so they do ATF as well? I want to send my ATF for analysis. You are saying they have a huge data base, do I send in two samples, my OEM ATF plus the one that came out of the transmission for comparison, or do they already have that information?

@Donald TBN is the acidity? probably will do both. This is important why, if the oil is not old. Please excuse my ignorance but I thought oil becomes acidic when it gets old even if a lot of miles are not driven.

New here, so they do ATF as well? I want to send my ATF for analysis. You are saying they have a huge data base, do I send in two samples, my OEM ATF plus the one that came out of the transmission for comparison, or do they already have that information?

@Donald TBN is the acidity? probably will do both. This is important why, if the oil is not old. Please excuse my ignorance but I thought oil becomes acidic when it gets old even if a lot of miles are not driven.
The acidity comes from as a byproduct of the combustion process. Nothing to do with how long oil in in the sump.

Yeah, they do ATF. They would compare your used ATF to their database of used ATF for that transmission model. If you wanted to compare your used fluid to same new fluid, you would have to send in a virgin sample along with your used fluid and request a TAN on both. Note this will only be meaningful if the virgin fluid is the same brand and type as the used fluid.

Blackstone is too expensive. NAPA is $16 with TBN. Much better deal. I would not pay too much attention to the universal numbers that Blackstone promotes. A UOA is not a one time and done. You want trending in your own engine.

NAPA and others will tell you if it's way out of whack.

Back