Used Kia Optima with factory new engine - good buy?

The recent story of a 600K car with 9 replacement engines is almost 70K miles per engine, not far off. It's right in line with the lifespan of those engines. There are members on brand specific forums that have discovered that a robust diesel 5W-40 or 10W-40 synthetic solves the rod bearing issue. You can be the judge of that. But there are members who claim that at the very first sign of noise they move to the better oil to try and extend the life a bit, and the engine continues to live a normal life.

If the original engine blew in just 120k miles, there's a good chance it was either poorly maintained or abused. Since you are so secretive about the price which probably is high, I would pass on it.

If the original engine blew in just 120k miles, there's a good chance it was either poorly maintained or abused. Since you are so secretive about the price which probably is high, I would pass on it.
Not on these, no.

The original engine failed at 95k, right on schedule. The replacement has 25K on it.

Thanks for all the replies. I have passed on the car. I do appreciate the feedback on the engine (which was the info I was looking for) not pricing info.

I ended up purchasing a Mercedes CLK 320, cabriolet with 80k miles. It was less than a Camry I was looking at with 2x the miles.
Was worried about comfort in a small car, but the seats are amazing, super comfy, and the car is fun to drive.

Back