Used cop car review, 2008 Crown Vic P71

Status
Not open for further replies.
The ol' Crown Vics make FANTASTIC "airport courtesy cars"!!

You know.... the clunker the FBO tosses you the keys to when you land at an airport and need to go eat lunch or do some shopping. I'll bet I've driven at least a half dozen of them... all retired police cars.

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
The Caprice is a bit different but I never recommend a used LE vehicle. I oversee them in my fleet and by the time they go to auction, they are tired. I think Mike's was a bit different as it was a demo. Hard life but not as hard as the LE life.

And yes, those who work with these vehicles can tell from a mile away if the are LE or civilian.

Yeah mine was weird. When I initially saw it on the lot it had 4200 miles on it. The salesman drove it the remaining 7500ish miles. It was on the lot for 9 months because they wanted so much for it 27,000. I ended up getting it for 20,000.

It had 48 hours of idle time on it when I got it. I am really not sure what GM did with it. I know Joel drove it, his Taylor Swift CD was in it and I returned it later... I just hit 28,000 miles

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Originally Posted By: AntsinmyEyes
All these wannabe police who like to feel all big and make people think they're a cop lol [censored] you

????

I just wanted a fairly cheap 6.0/6L80E 4 door car.

There is a contingent in the Panther Platform world called "whackers"

They seem to be fixated on having a cop car and push the limits so their car looks like a cop car.

Not much danger my '99 MGM will look like one. But there are some "wannabes" out there who get into that sort of thing.

Originally Posted By: javacontour

There is a contingent in the Panther Platform world called "whackers"

They seem to be fixated on having a cop car and push the limits so their car looks like a cop car.

OK, I can understand that some people have an ulterior motive. Remember, this was purchased by a friend, who needs a commuter car for the NY area. He wanted a rust free car, hence the Florida car. I may end up driving it up I95 to NY. As I have to go there for work anyway.

From my point of view, it's a big, non-precise, harsh riding, but fun to drive, full size car with a huge trunk. I don't think I'd purchase one for myself. And I have no interest in making other people uncomfortable. I did notice that people drove slow around me. That in itself is not helpful, especially if in a rush.

Even so, it seems to be the bargain of the century. $3000 gets you a lot!

Originally Posted By: AntsinmyEyes
All these wannabe police who like to feel all big and make people think they're a cop lol [censored] you

You're a hoot at parties, aren't you?

crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Just picked up (for a friend) a used 2008 Crown Vic cop car, $3K, 60,200 miles from South Florida. He thought it would make a good commuter car.

Having never been in one, I expected it to be similar to the rental Crown Vic's I liked so much. Nope! It's noisy inside, with vinyl floors and no back seat. So noisy, I can't hear my phone on speaker without putting it up to my ear.

Interestingly, it's extremely stiff riding. Much like an enthusiasts road race/track car might be. Which is simply strange in a car this big. The shocks are not tuned for a soft ride, and the springs seem to be lower and higher rate. Suddenly the smooth Florida highways are quite bumpy. Those suspension mods do allow the car to corner quite well. 60MPH on the cloverleaf was no problem at all, about the same as my S2000 turbo! So, the cornering grip is good, but that does not mean it's a precise or accurate driving car. It's not. In fact, I'd say the driving dynamics are "wonky" and take a bit to get used to. You can drive it like an idiot, and it seems to remain in some semblance of control. Yes, this thing will easily out-corner an eco-vehicle like the BMW i3 or a Prius.

This one has the 3.27 open rear axle, coupled with the 2 valve 4.6L V8 and dual exhaust. That means it jumps off the line quickly, and will spin the right rear tire right off the bat. Yet the car is not fast and the acceleration rate (other than the off the line "jump) is lackluster, about on par with a Prius. Maybe 8 or 9 seconds 0-60. Also the engine turns 2500 RPM at 80, a bit higher than I'd like. No idea on the MPG, but other owners seem to get about 20 miles to the gallon. Top speed is said to be 129MPH with the 3.27 rear axle.

The transmission is also tuned for firmer shifts, and you notice each shift. It clearly is not tuned for economy, as it does not upshift into top gear too soon. Nice.

As you might expect, people go slow in front of you.

Overall, not a bad deal for $3000, and with a little work, some quieter tires (the old Goodyear Eagle RS's are very noisy) and some paint touch up, it could be a very inexpensive way to commute in a reliable, very long lasting vehicle that is in it's own way, fun to drive.

Another dinosaur finds a home.......
cry.gif

Am I the only one who gets excited when I see a CVPI still in use?

We still have quite a few of them in service here. Maybe half the fleet I'm guessing. Many of them used to be State Highway Patrol cars. They use a good body shop in town to fix dents/bumps/scrapes etc.

Am I the only one who gets excited when I see a CVPI still in use?

I get excited when I see certain examples of the opposite...well you know.
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: Tegger
the car is not fast

How much do you want to bet that the cars are detuned before the public gets their hands on them?

1) crown Vic's police cars are not fast cars by any stretch of imagination compared to modern
2) they leave tune alone as the goal is to cheaply dump the car and hopefully keep check engine light off

I have owned a couple of CVPI cars in the past and enjoyed them. My last one was a "detective" car so it was in way better shape interior wise without the full interior mods a normal patrol cruiser would have. Made a pretty good family car but the kids would freak because they had to be let out of the back seat from the outside because I would not install the interior lock/unlock latches.

Also, it is [censored] about any "detuning" of the engine before public sale.

293404_7e76a73c43f74448868af5ec21ab88ca.jpg

Originally Posted By: Tegger
the car is not fast

How much do you want to bet that the cars are detuned before the public gets their hands on them?

lol.gif
You cannot be serious
lol.gif
lol.gif

lol.gif

Originally Posted By: madRiver
1) crown Vic's police cars are not fast cars by any stretch of imagination compared to modern
2) they leave tune alone as the goal is to cheaply dump the car and hopefully keep check engine light off

They bother with CEL? Heck, they can have the airbags deployed, be infested with rabid badgers and still send them to the auction block.

Actually, the Crown Vics were not even fast for their cohorts. Almost anything other than an SUV/econobox would pull away from them. My stock 138bhp MR2 would put down a better 1/4 mile time than a CVPI in its final years regardless of the PI gearing options. Heck, a lot of 4 cylinder family sedans (with a 180-ish bhp) would gradually pull away from the Vics. Then again, it is less about the vehicle and more about the driver...

Yeah, the CVPI are actually slower than my non-pursuit Taurus SSV (2.3T).

Originally Posted By: Hootbro

That is because they were detuned from Ford before leaving the factory.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Hootbro

That is because they were detuned from Ford before leaving the factory.
wink.gif

Silly, but not so. True, the engine is not particularly powerful. However, even the best tuners can't get much from the 2V, PI (power improved) 4.6L modular engine. It simply does not flow well enough in stock form to make much power. Even Ford was utterly unable to reach 1HP per cubic inch with the very best Mustang version of the 2 valve engine. 281 cubic inches, and 260HP was the best Ford ever did.

That's not to say that the engine is weak, it's not. It will tolerate all sorts of radial output improvement without early failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back