Used bearings/new races?

D60

Here's a potentially dumb question I've always pondered:

Let's say you're working on a domestic 2wd pickup or van where the rotor and wb hub are essentially one. Typically (or at least quite often) a new rotor comes with races pressed in which I always found a bit odd because it doesn't include the new bearings.

If the OLD races feel smooth (indicating no abnormal or excessive wear to the rollers) and appear good visually (no blueing etc), is it considered acceptable to drop a used bearing into a new race?

I'm not really asking BEST PRACTICE because I think that would be new bearings, but really just if it's acceptable. I was always taught rollers and races wear together over time?

Typically new bearings are sold packaged with a race, so it seems to me the new rotor/hub should include nothing (drive in your own races) or everything (new races driven in with new rollers included).

Maybe this is a throwback to when it was more common for races and bearings to be sold individually? I know even on some solid axle D44 stuff today it's often easier to find races and bearings boxed individually.

I dunno, I just think it's kinda weird to include races but not bearings? Quite often at corporate stores you can't buy JUST the bearing so you're left discarding a race no matter what....?

Seen it done that way for years. I used to work at a brake only shop and the lead guy who had been doing brakes for decades would put all 4 bearings into the solvent tank to clean them.

Never seemed to care what position they went back in and it didn't seem to hurt anything.

Seen it done that way for years. I used to work at a brake only shop and the lead guy who had been doing brakes for decades would put all 4 bearings into the solvent tank to clean them.

Never seemed to care what position they went back in and it didn't seem to hurt anything.
Thanks Chris. Kinda what I figured but I also feel like it'd be just my luck that in three months the vehicle returns with a front bearing going out and then I'm left wondering if it was "my" mis-matched parts that caused the failure.

Probably just over-thinking it.....

Thanks Chris. Kinda what I figured but I also feel like it'd be just my luck that in three months the vehicle returns with a front bearing going out and then I'm left wondering if it was "my" mis-matched parts that caused the failure.

Probably just over-thinking it.....
In a perfect world new races should get new bearings or used bearings should go back on the original race.

I once used the races which came preinstalled in rotors, with new bearings.

Within 10k miles, noise, and the edges of all rollers were blued and worn. Only on one side.
Slightly Different taper of race to bearing.
Ill never repeat that mistake.

With new races ( especially new races that you did not press in yourself, like new rotors ) ,always initially torque the wheel bearing down at least 75 lb/ft. That makes sure the races are fully seated. Then loosen and adjust as you normally would

agree, I was always taught the races and the bearings were matched. 🤷‍♂️

just my $0.02
See ya'd think so but with, say, Timken especially (and probably others) you CAN buy each individually. If sold that way it's not a "boxed set" so there's presumably no such thing.

Believe me, I understand the concept of matched [fill in the blank]....as a machinist, 1-2-3 and 2-4-6 blocks are technically sold as matched sets and you're not supposed to mix 'n match (it doesn't matter for the level of precision I require, however)

I once used the races which came preinstalled in rotors, with new bearings.

Within 10k miles, noise, and the edges of all rollers were blued and worn. Only on one side.
Slightly Different taper of race to bearing.
Ill never repeat that mistake.
This is my concern, too.

Anyway the job is done. I used the races which were installed but new bearings .....thus taking the "brakes" approach, ie new and new can wear in together, like you wouldn't put new pads with old, un-turned rotors.

I fully realize brakes and bearings are quite different and my reasoning doesn’t really make sense, but I'm comfortably enjoying my manufactured reality for the moment!

Back