Used 2019 Silverado: AFM still a concern?

I’m considering buying a used 2019 Chevy Silverado Custom trim with 69,000 miles and with the 4.3 Ecotec engine. I’m wondering if the later AFM engines are more reliable/refined than the older/early AFM engines. Also, might there be other issues with GM 1/2 ton trucks over the last few years that I’m not aware of?

I've got the 4.3 in my '16, 111,000 miles and runs just like new. No weird sounds or performance or anything. Folks on here will tell you that they've seen lifters fail at 6,000 miles, others at 120,000 miles... I think for most, they never fail.

I don't believe that disabling AFM fixes the issue, unless the lifters are replaced with non-AFM lifters. I'm willing to bet those who have disabled AFM probably wouldn't have experienced a failure anyway.

I know a person that has 112,000 miles on a 2019 AFM engine that had a lifter take out a cam. I believe the only why to make the engine immune to the AFM lifters is to replace the lifters with non-AFM aftermarket.
Seems wise to do that mod before it wipes a cam, since that can put metal through the engine, no? Usually it's tempting to go until something is worn, but here... not so sure.

Question: can you do that on the 4.3L V6? or is that an orphan of a motor in that regard?

I don’t agree that a Range plug in does nothing - otherwise I wouldn’t have installed it - yes, the hardware is still there - but the lifters no longer cycle - and the torque converter will send you yearly Xmas cards …
BTW - a more pleasant driving experience since I got one …

Last edited:
I know a person that has 112,000 miles on a 2019 AFM engine that had a lifter take out a cam. I believe the only why to make the engine immune to the AFM lifters is to replace the lifters with non-AFM aftermarket.
Correct

I don’t agree that a Range plug in does nothing - otherwise I wouldn’t have installed it - yes, the hardware is still there - but the lifters no longer cycle - and the torque converter will send you yearly Xmas cards …
BTW - a more pleasant driving experience since I got one …
I bought the Range plug and have driven a couple of days with it installed. Definitely a smoother driving experience with the AFM disabled. Still on the fence concerning its long term use with possible damage down the road so I’m open to removing it and working harder at trying to ‘get used to it’ .

I bought the Range plug and have driven a couple of days with it installed. Definitely a smoother driving experience with the AFM disabled. Still on the fence concerning its long term use with possible damage down the road so I’m open to removing it and working harder at trying to ‘get used to it’ .
The only other thing I did was bump to 5W30 after reading they dropped oil grade - but same lifters …

Any records available for other fluid changes?

One of our engineers is at 170k on a 2015 Burb - M1 0W20
No issues …
Yes, the majority of owners aren’t going to have a problem with it but there is a decent amount in the cohort that do have problems to where it could shy people away from buying that particular engine or set of engines. Especially seeing as how its usually a $3k+ fix to repair lifters and/more if needing a new cam or other parts.

Any records available for other fluid changes?
None. Because of the history, or lack there of, I’m leaning towards the new Valvoline Restore and Protect in 5w30 flavor in this DI/AFM motor, even though I currently have the AFM disabled via the Range AFM Disabler. Yes, I’m aware of the ongoing back and forth ‘banter’ about this new oil in the PCMO forum. I’ve used Valvoline for decades so ( I ain’t skeered ) ! I have a gallon of Delvac1 75w90 gear oil on the shelf for the G80 peg leg diff and am researching getting the transmission fluid changed ( I don’t crawl well at my age ) .

Reactions: 4WD
Back