Use of multiple fluid types.

Gonna try to keep this short. 05 F-150. Transmission calls for Mercon-V. Dipstick tube broke off, and lost a bunch of fluid.My kid drove it home with no issues, but the next day it wouldn't move in gear. I had an eclectic selection of ATF's, and I got some bad advice that ATF's we're all generally the same so I poured them in. According to the other forums I've asked, I get all kinds of answers. I used 1 liter of Motul Dex-lll, and 1 liter of Motul ATF Vl(Mercon LV), and 2 1/2 quarts of O'reiily's Mercon. Started the truck, and it now moves. Only ran it for the fill, and moved it forward, and back for approx 5 feet. Went to the F-150 Forum, and they're scaring the crap outta me. Will I blow this tranny up leaving that fluid in there? and if so how do I get all of the fluid out of the torque converter? Leave it alone , and drive it? drop the pan for partial flush? or tow to tranny shop, and have it passive machine flushed? Any advice would be much appreciated!

JPEG image.jpeg

Its not going to spontaneously combust however I would do a cooler line flush with a licenced mercon V. I recently did one with Castrol import multi vehicle on my step fathers 2004 f150 and its never shifted better.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Castrol-TRANSMAX-IMPORT-Multi-Vehicle-Automatic-Transmission-Fluid-1-Gallon/176732896?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&&adid=22222222227240730028&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=286561461561&wl4=aud-430887228898:pla-487187202457&wl5=9024253&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=176732896&veh=sem&gclid=Cj0KCQjwoub3BRC6ARIsABGhnyaynVPYuPtf7fghN-f7qVT2ETHhpbxvs-2HQhal0dLidncCzPab8WUaArSyEALw_wcB

3 gallons of this

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...jIyA6EYIhAaAviLEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
this disconnect tool

plug the radiator port as I had some backflow. Then I would do it again in about 10k miles and not have to worry for a good while.

Originally Posted by Moonboy188

Went to the F-150 Forum, and they're scaring the crap outta me.
Will I blow this tranny up leaving that fluid in there? and if so how do I get all of the fluid out of the torque converter?

The mix may or may not cause problems in the future, but the stress is obviously a problem right now! I would follow the advice from @HyundaiAbuser and do a cooler line flush.

Licensed Mercon V is obviously a good choice, but IME the universal fluids (Maxlife, Amalie, etc) have worked just as well as licensed fluids. If you go with universal, definitely stick to one that is specifically recommended for that application.

Originally Posted by RyanY

Went to the F-150 Forum, and they're scaring the crap outta me.
Will I blow this tranny up leaving that fluid in there? and if so how do I get all of the fluid out of the torque converter?

The mix may or may not cause problems in the future, but the stress is obviously a problem right now! I would follow the advice from @HyundaiAbuser and do a cooler line flush.

Licensed Mercon V is obviously a good choice, but IME the universal fluids (Maxlife, Amalie, etc) have worked just as well as licensed fluids. If you go with universal, definitely stick to one that is specifically recommended for that application.

I'd just use license Merc V in applications that call for it a lot of mult vehicle ATFs have went more towards being low viscosity to be more compatible with newer transmission calling for Dex VI and Mercon LV and similar. Ford recommends using Mercon V in applications that originally called for Mercon but does not call for Merc LV to be used in applications where Mercon V was originally specified like with GM who recommend to use low viscosity Dex VI in applications that previously called for high viscosity fluids Dex III or Dex II-E or older... Wally world sells SuperTech Merc V for just under $5 a quart.

It is a good time to drain it. I would flush the fluid out at the cooler line. Then drop the pan to clean the pan, magnet and replace the filter.I would do both a flush and pan drop. It probably was never changed and a filter change is just as important as the fluid.. Use ONLY Mercon V, no universal or Maxlife fluid. I never believed in one fluid "fits all" and if they were good, it would have been put in there at the factory. They can be identified as saying "suitable" for use in Ford transmissions, stay clear of them.. A complete change is best, take it to a transmission shop if you do not want to tackle it.You put all kinds of fluid in there except the correct one.

Last edited:
Thank you. On the cooler line flush. Am I just disconnecting one line, the flow out line? And, which one is that? Drivers side/passenger? Then adding through fill tube as it pumps out of the line into my plastic catch tub? Also how many quarts should I flush through? I will drop the pan, and change the filter as well. Says 9 quarts in the torque converter, and 4 in the pan. Sorry to be a pain in the [censored], just wanna get it right. Thanks again!

Fill it to the point where you can drive it to the mechanics shop or transmission shop get the dipstick replaced first.

Any Mercon V or Mercon V replacement/equivalent will work.

I would take a sample of the fluid that is currently in it and send it off for a particulate count.

Nope it won't hurt but I have a feeling by the wording of your post that it needs to go have the dipstick stick replaced and the pan dropped filter replaced and new fluid .

I'm guessing you replaced the dipstick tube.
Not the the first I've heard of these failing. Salt eats them up in the rust belt.
You might have a plug in the bell housing that grants access to a torque converter plug.
If your dropping the pan, good idea, you'll get about 4 1/2 quarts out. Drain the converter if you can.
Tons more in there..
I'd disconnect the cooler lines at the lowest point and let them drain.
Refill with Merc V.

Thank you. On the cooler line flush. Am I just disconnecting one line, the flow out line? And, which one is that? Drivers side/passenger? Then adding through fill tube as it pumps out of the line into my plastic catch tub? Also how many quarts should I flush through? I will drop the pan, and change the filter as well. Says 9 quarts in the torque converter, and 4 in the pan. Sorry to be a pain in the [censored], just wanna get it right. Thanks again!

On the radiator there are two metal lines on the driver side, there is a plastic clip you have to take off then take the disconnect tool and push it into the bushing that the line goes into. While pushing it in pull on the line and it should come out. I ran a clear plastic hose from the line to a bucket and stopped every two quarts to top off. I also placed a rubber plug in the radiator hole. I ran 12 quarts when I did mine and I had fresh fluid coming through the tube.

If I recall correctly, castrol import multi vehicle is licensed for mercon V.

Last edited:
From the Castrol website TRANSMAXâ„¢ IMPORT MULTI-VEHICLE

Castrol® Transmax™ Import Multi-Vehicle is designed for use in most Honda, Toyota and Nissan vehicles as well as many other imported brands. It exceeds the requirements of the JASO-1A performance standard created by Japanese auto manufacturers. It also exceeds DEXRON®-IIIH, MERCON®V and MERCON® requirements.

Interesting, I never knew that....I have 6 or 7 quarts from years ago when I changed out the ATF in mom's Pilot. Not sure that I feel brave enough to use it in my Mustang.

Check for an inline thermostat on that on the pass side (not sure if they still used it in that location in 05), you may need to remove the line from the trans and put a fitting in to connect to. I cant see any harm done from the fluids, running it that low???

Back