Use a siphon pump to change oil and diff fluid!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Harbor Freight Tools has a small hand operated pump kit to change oil or differential fluid without removing drain plug or entire pan. This simple kit is part no. 3878 and is only $5.99. Someone on another thread referred to this pump and said he was buying several in case they quit carrying it. It can also siphon gas and once the gas begins to flow, it will flow without further pumping.
I have read on this forum questions like how do I change my engine oil, ATF, or rear end fluid when I can't remove the drain plug or there is no drain plug. This pump is the answer.

It does work. I've used it a few times on my car.

They are cheaply built, however. So do not be surprised when it quits.

I made one myself right after I did my first tranny pan drop. I took a 6 gallon gas can I had sitting around and pulled out the vent cap bung so it just had the hole that the can itself has. I put a clear length of tubing in that small hole and attach my shop-vac to the other, bigger one. It works great and cost me nothing because I already had the stuff laying around. The filler hole in the gas can is about .5" smaller than the hose on the shop-vac so I shim it with a shop towel and hold it with a spring clamp.

Originally Posted By: calvin1
I made one myself right after I did my first tranny pan drop. I took a 6 gallon gas can I had sitting around and pulled out the vent cap bung so it just had the hole that the can itself has. I put a clear length of tubing in that small hole and attach my shop-vac to the other, bigger one. It works great and cost me nothing because I already had the stuff laying around. The filler hole in the gas can is about .5" smaller than the hose on the shop-vac so I shim it with a shop towel and hold it with a spring clamp.

I made a similar one a few years ago.....

I've used it for coolant removal, tranny fluid removal or any other non-flammable fluid.

http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tm.asp?m=2130513

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back