Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by JC1
Originally Posted by JeepWJ19
I was wondering if I could use 5w30 instead of 5w20 in my 2016 Ford Fusion 2.5L

Yes you can.

Much appreciated!

Originally Posted by Fredward
So, I just bought a new 2018 Tacoma TRD Sport with the 2GR-FKS engine. I figure I might as well piggy back on this thread, seeing as it's fairly relevant.

The manual calls for a 0W-20 but states, "If SAE 0W-20 is not available, SAE 5W-20 may be used. However, it must be replaced with SAE 0W-20 at the next oil drain." Fairly straight forward. It then goes on with a little blurb explaining oil viscosity under which it says "The 20 in 0W-20 indicates the viscosity characteristic of the oil when the oil is at high temperature, An oil with a higher viscosity (one with a higher value) may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds, or under extreme load conditions."

Am I to take this to mean that Toyota thinks it's OK to use 0W-30? I own a small farm and this truck is going to be used as a light duty hauler, as well as my daily driver. Would driving around with a loaded bed, or towing trailers through hill country on occasion count as "extreme load conditions"? We do have a fairly long and hot summer here. I know the fine engineers at Toyota didn't call for a viscosity that would kill the engine, but I wonder what amount of wear they felt was acceptable in order to gain a few percentage points in fuel efficiency. If I run something other than a 0W-20, am I going to be putting my warranty in jeopardy? I also have 2 years of Toyota Care, and that's a lot of free 0W-20 TGMO and filters to pass up. A 0W-30, 5W-30 or 0W40 would certainly give me more peace of mind, but would it just be that? I suppose I could get some oil analyses done along the way and see for myself how well the 0W-20 holds up.

You can, I do. I run the heavier oil in the summer, and the free oil changes from Toyota care in the winter.
I just had my oil changed in both vehicles at different dealers. The Tacoma got 0w20 in Galveston, in Boerne I had the oil changed in the 4 runner, it got 5w30.
Both vehicles will get a 30 or 40 wt in the spring. Once Toyota care is used up I will probably run a solid 30-40 wt for year long 10k OCIs. I will do a performance cheack at 30-40k miles with a used oil analysis. don't mind using whatever the dealer has in the cooler months for the shorter for now service intervals.

Keep in mind if you are pulling trailers, or doing a bit of ranch/ farm work..you should probably use the severe service schedule anyway. My vehicles either get exposed to oilfield off road heavy dust and rough roads, or idling, city traffic.
Use the free services for sure,
At 5k, I just drop the plug and drain the sump and add 6 qts or so for the extra service, you can take it in to the dealer (I do less waste for me to deal with)and they will do this for you, you can bring your own oil or simply ask for their synthetic 5w30, they never even charge me to do this while they rotate tires and top of the wiper fluid and do their inspections for the every 5k service. No need to change the filter, let the dealer do that at 10k/1year.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by OilUzer
With your free oil change you can request a specific grade based on Toyota recommendation you quoted above. They probably be happy to use their generic syn blend 5Wx30 over more expensive 0Wx20
grin2.gif

Toyota doesn't "recommend" 5W-20 in lieu of 0W-20 when they clearly indicate that if it must be used/added, to switch back to 0W-20 at the next oil change. I'm not suggesting it will hurt but you're interpreting their statement quite loosely.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
With your free oil change you can request a specific grade based on Toyota recommendation you quoted above. They probably be happy to use their generic syn blend 5Wx30 over more expensive 0Wx20
grin2.gif

Toyota doesn't "recommend" 5W-20 in lieu of 0W-20 when they clearly indicate that if it must be used/added, to switch back to 0W-20 at the next oil change. I'm not suggesting it will hurt but you're interpreting their statement quite loosely.

My experience has been that they will do what you say once you show them the sighted owners manual material about higher voscosities being more appropriate for certain situations. Had the dealer install 0w40. They were perplexed, no customers questions the initial language, and then compliant.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
grin2.gif

Standard CAFE Boilerplate verbiage seen in most OM.
I like to appreciate correct oil grade by engine noise. If Terrible go up a grade do 1/2 the pan in the next higher grade if you dont want to take the big leap 100 % Use same Brand and class of product.

And what I said many about VVT is still applicable. Many need a viscosity sweet spot. I ve experienced this first hand on many of my vehicle this past decade (my honda was just VTEC). I haven't researched thoroughly as to WHY, but oil pressure feeds the phaser which will retards cam timing with increased rpm. This early cam retard will make the engine response lazy and reduce torque at lower RPM.

Last edited:
The fact that Honda says "wait until the next oil change" can be easily interpreted as 5W-20 is just fine and there's no urgency in replacing it. The next oil change could 1000 miles out or 7000 miles out. Honda could have phrased it much more drastically, such as "drain and replace with 0W-20 as soon as possible".

Originally Posted by PeterPolyol
Why don't you just use what's recommended?
What's with these Toyota people recently running all kinds of heavier duty oils? One guy's running SAE30 in his lexus, another 15W30, this fella want sto run 5w30 do you guys not have any confidence in Toyota engines? Weird how they're getting all the good stuff like they need it or something
wink.gif

Thicker oils are used in the rest of the world.

Originally Posted by PeterPolyol
Why don't you just use what's recommended?
What's with these Toyota people recently running all kinds of heavier duty oils? One guy's running SAE30 in his lexus, another 15W30, this fella want sto run 5w30 do you guys not have any confidence in Toyota engines? Weird how they're getting all the good stuff like they need it or something
wink.gif

2013 Tacoma here 2.7L engine. 4cyl ..I run 0w-20 only and it runs as smooth as silk

Thanks for the advice guys. It sounds like 5W-30 will work just fine in the warmer months. I'll ask the service department if they are fine with using 5W-30.

Though I might use this opportunity to test how well 0W-20 performs year-round in a mixed use vehicle. I'm thinking of doing 5k mi change intervals and getting a UOA done at every change. I'm going to change my oil at 1k mi, which is quickly approaching but I'll probably skip that test. If I do this, I'll start sampling at 5 or 10k mi and post my results on the UOA sub-forum.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

And what I said many about VVT is still applicable. Many need a viscosity sweet spot. I ve experienced this first hand on many of my vehicle this past decade (my honda was just VTEC). I haven't researched thoroughly as to WHY, but oil pressure feeds the phaser which will retards cam timing with increased rpm. This early cam retard will make the engine response lazy and reduce torque at lower RPM.

Is your implication that 5W-30 may be outside of that sweet spot for some of these newer engines?

Originally Posted by forkian
Will it hurt anything to use 5W30 in a 4 cy Rav4 that calls for 0W20 or 5W20. Concerned that maybe the 5W30 get too thick to travel to all parts of the engine.
My other cars use 5W30 and will just be easier to keep one kind of oil on hand, if completely safe to do so.

Yes it is ok to use 5w30 in fact, its perfect and better to use then 0w20 and 5w20.
If I lived in an area where daytime highs were always below freezing and nights down near 0 degrees F I guess I would choose the 5/20 as a winter oil but that is it and havent thought about it because I no longer live in a cold northern state. :eek:)

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice guys. It sounds like 5W-30 will work just fine in the warmer months.

5W30 will work great during Virginia winters too.

Originally Posted by alarmguy
Will it hurt anything to use 5W30 in a 4 cy Rav4 that calls for 0W20 or 5W20. Concerned that maybe the 5W30 get too thick to travel to all parts of the engine.
My other cars use 5W30 and will just be easier to keep one kind of oil on hand, if completely safe to do so.

Yes it is ok to use 5w30 in fact, its perfect and better to use then 0w20 and 5w20.
If I lived in an area where daytime highs were always below freezing and nights down near 0 degrees F I guess I would choose the 5/20 as a winter oil but that is it and havent thought about it because I no longer live in a cold northern state. :eek:)

It depends what you're criteria is. 20 will give you better fuel economy, 30 will give you better protection. It's unlikely a difference will be discerned in either case but they are technically true.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Thanks for the advice guys. It sounds like 5W-30 will work just fine in the warmer months.

5W30 will work great during Virginia winters too.

It'd better
lol.gif

I'm going with 10w30 Quaker State HM in my car this upcoming winter. So the 5dubya most assuredly should be fine.

Originally Posted by supton
What engine is it? 2.4, 2.5, 3.5? .

It is the 2.5 engine, will be driven primarily in Delaware/Maryland. Usually never gets below 20 degrees F in winter and sometimes over 100 degrees in summer.

5w30 will be great for you. I would use it a never turn back

I would use what's called for in the owner's manual (OM). It may not hurt the major powertrain components but may affect the variable valve timing (VVT-i) which uses pressurized oil to adjust timing. It was designed to work with the grade in the OM. If Toyota spec'd out 0W-20 or 5W-20 for the temperature extremes you've mentioned, I would stick with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back