USA Blended 5w-40 Castrol Syntec

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was in the VW parts department yesterday picking up a spare oil drain plug and they had what the parts manager call the "new stuff" out. It was 5w-40 Castrol Syntec which meets VW 502 and other Euro specs but it was blended in the USA verses Belgium. I am currently using BC in my Gti.

Anyone know anything about this oil? Is it actually new stuff?

I did several searches and came up empty.

JKH

Edited Title (5w-40)

[ October 09, 2005, 11:58 AM: Message edited by: q2bruiser ]

What do you mean?
He is talking about the "new" post BC domestically blended Syntec 5w-40.

Oh no! Now there is AC!!!
pat.gif

It's old. Mg-based additives. Way better oils out there. If it were free, I'd use it only in beaters.

It's kinda wierd, so many people, even here, are out-to-lunch on the Castrol G-III base oil thing. Just because they lobbied to include G-III base as "synthetic" (it is, according to chemistry reference definitions of "synthetic") that does not mean all their oils are G-III base or inferior. (off topic) I can think of a few Castrol oils that are A-3 rated. GC, BC/5w-40, 5w-50, GTX Dynatech, GTX Diesel, BMW 10w-60 etc. There are also blends form other makers that meet A3, a spec the we all respect: DuraBlend and Delo.
I'm personally not hyped on the Syntec range, take the 10w-40 for instance. What would make it as good or better than the Belgian formula (sold as a full synth in Europe) 10w-40 having no A3 rating. It's just all up-in-the-air because we have no idea what the base oil is. 5w-40 seems to be PAO base, I knock it because of it's Mg add pack and because it's from Belgium
wink.gif
Is the 10w-40 G-III, does it matter? Is the Syntec line worth the money? I think they should tighten up the line, just 5w-20, 5w-30, 5w-40 and 5w-50. Also Castrol make it known that it's a World-class oil. Too much competition within it's own line and from others, like Motul. Who would buy their basic Syntec line with SO many others out there? GC, T&S, Motul??? Castrol NEEDS to clarify their product and carrying more specs would help. A performance guarantee like Mobil's is a start. Who needs 10w-40 Syntec with a blank label, except API SM when Mobil Clean 7500 10w-40 carries a guarantee and is 1/2 the price. BTW- it's Gruppe III with PAO...and Syntec is ???
dunno.gif

AJ,

My stash of Syntec 10W-40 says on the bottle that it is ACEA:A3,B3.

I notice you stated above that it has no A3 rating.

I wish the GC came in the 5w-40 then I would use it ... hands down as it is VAG 502 approved. Maybe it does not matter. Most of my paranoia is that this is the first Euro car (05 Gti 1.8t) I have had in 25 years. Have been driving Ricers and have never had a problem. With the VAG, I do not know how their service writers are going to be, if I need them, seeing how I would never take my car to the dealer for an oil change except in an emergency or the nether regions freezing over. If I had a problem with the engine and they asked what oil I was using and I said GC 0w-30, what would they say? That is the question I do not have an answer for.

GC carries the VAG 502.00 approval according to Castrol's USA site:
quote:

Castrol SYNTEC 0W-30 European Formula is engineered to meet the Mercedes Benz 229.5 specification. The 0W-30 viscosity grade is ideal for winter conditions where low temperature pumpability is required. A unique, low-temperature formulation provides exceptional pumpability in cold weather and allows for unaided engine starts down to -40°F. Exceeds all car and light truck manufacturer's warranty requirements for the protection of gasoline, diesel and turbocharged engines where API SL, SJ, SH, CF or CD is recommended. Exceeds European ACEA: A3, B3, B4; VW 502 00, 505 00, 503 01; MB 229.1, 229.3, 229.5; BMW LL-01; GM-LL-A-025, GM-LL-B-025 and the engine protection requirements of ILSAC GF-3 for API Certified Gasoline Engine Oils.

I think Syntec 20w50 is also ACEA A3/B3. Too thick for my rides..even 5w50. Besides GC 0w30, the other Syntecs I'd consider running are BC 5w40 & AC(?)10w40 in that order.
smile.gif

Btw, have you guys checked out lately the Castrol USA site? Castrol now has an 5w30 synthetic HDEO, Elixion..too bad it isn't mixed fleet/no API SL rating.

[ October 10, 2005, 05:16 PM: Message edited by: vwoom ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back