LM Leichtlauf 5W-40 Newer Formula

The new data sheet (Pl 45/14/10/2020) for LiquiMoly Leichtlauf 5W-40 shows that it is thinner than previously. The cST100 C is 12.9 (was 14.0) and cST 40 C is 70 (was 80.5). It has picked up the BMW LL01 approval, along with VW 502, Porsche A40, MB 229.5, etc. The UOA also shows the addition of Boron, presumably as hexagonal boron nitride as an anti-wear agent. After use, this oil looks more like a robust 5W-30 than a 5W-40. Not sure that is a bad thing, what with the trend toward thinner oils, and it is still a recommended weight by Audi.

The attached UOA is for my Audi TTS Mk3, which is APR stage 1 tuned and sees frequent track use. The two most recent reports are the newer formula, while the two reports on the right are the older formula. I have deleted data for one report due to the sample being contaminated (at my end, not Blackstone). The lead reading concerns me. Yes, I do refuel at the track, but I am not really sure that is the source. I will be keeping an eye on that.
TTS Mk3 8S.jpg

M1 0W40 is rates in at 12.9 as well, has more boron and some Moly in it as well. Would go that route since I can pick it up at half the price of this when on sale. Thanks for posting this.

M1 0W40 is rates in at 12.9 as well, has more boron and some Moly in it as well. Would go that route since I can pick it up at half the price of this when on sale. Thanks for posting this.
M1 is combination of mostly GTL, PAO and Esters.
IMO much better. However, M1 has huge amounts of SAPS. I would skip it in regular DI engines.

Thinking about this, and agree with posts here that this new formula Leichtlauf is just too thin for track use. I also note that the cST 100 C dropped a lot more from it's data sheet level after use than the prior formula did, so it looks like there is more going on here. Since this car is not a dedicated track car (and no ethanol), and does get some street use, I would like to stay with a 5W-40 rather than bumping up to a 50. Motul 300V does look like a good candidate, or maybe Sport so the OCI is not a concern.

Interesting that several of the race teams use this same oil in their VAG race cars and could likely choose any of the other LM products (sponsored).

Interesting that several of the race teams use this same oil in their VAG race cars and could likely choose any of the other LM products (sponsored).
The Leichtlauf would have been an excellent choice until it was changed in 2020, but not so sure now. It would be interesting to know if any VAG LiquiMoly teams are currently running this, or have moved on to their Synthoil Race Tech GT1 10W-60. I see in their press release that the Engstler Hyundai N LiquiMoly Racing Team has done just that.

The Leichtlauf would have been an excellent choice until it was changed in 2020, but not so sure now. It would be interesting to know if any VAG LiquiMoly teams are currently running this, or have moved on to their Synthoil Race Tech GT1 10W-60. I see in their press release that the Engstler Hyundai N LiquiMoly Racing Team has done just that.
I know the New German Performance GTI runs Leichtlauf b/c I ask. WIll check with the Unitronic team. The Molygen comes in a 5W50 which could also be an interesting track oil.

Confirmed the Unitronic Audi is running Leichtlauf as well.

You could run a dedicated oil at the track and then put the regular oil back in. Yes I know it's a PITA, but, just an idea.

Dude, I am so lazy that I don't even take out the track pads every time.🤪

Back