US to ban most pocket knives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: andyd
what is next? Rocks? Sheesh

How about ALL heavy blunt objects. On my way to the airport yesterday I talked about borrowing my nephew's 15/16'' crow foot wrench. I asked him to mail it to me. We wondered if we had thought about it sooner, if I could have gotten it through security in my carry on luggage.

Protecting our right to knives may never have occurred to the writers of the constitution. What the after life is like is very speculative, but I hope James Madison has no clue what is happening now.

I'll be in real trouble if the ban starts to cover the 1/2" drive breaker bar that I carry around in my truck...you know just in case I have a flat tire LOL!

Welcome to the club.

Butterfly knives were banned here about 20 years ago, declared an illegal deadly weapon...$10k and/or 2 years gaol for possession.

About a decade ago they banned the lot...well not banned outright, but banned the carrying of any knife in public, with intent or not.

A guy in our rifle club had a cop in another town pull a pistol on him, for having a leatherman strapped to his belt.

A local apprentice chef got done for carrying his chef's knives on a train. He appealed that he was on his way home from work (legal), but was brought down because he did not travel "directly" home from work, stopping for a beer with workmates on the way home.

Originally Posted By: oilyriser
Banning all knives and guns will reduce health care costs.

It'll increase it. Facial reconstruction surgery isn't cheap, and it's often required after a 2x4 to the face. Different weapons always take the place of the ones that are no longer available. Always.

Good point.

"Glassing" has really taken off the last few years.

When stabbing wasn't really an issue in the first place.

Hey, anybody got a good recipe for a fast-acting contact poison?
wink.gif

What jurisdiction does Customs and Border patrol have over wht is produced in the USA, and what is carried around in the USA.

Note - this notice is by the Customs and Border Patrol, not Congress, not some local sheriff, police department, etc.

I for one cannot see how it actually interferes with Americans' lives. Maybe I'm missing something...

There's always a "yet" in there somewhere, JHZR2.

I don't think you'll have too much trouble staying on the "right" side of things. At worst, you'll be an outer party member.

..but the salt line that differentiates the "good" people from the "un-good" is moving upstream with ever more refined ways of exclusion and inclusion.

How many homicides are committed by folding pocket knives in the US? How many attempted manslaughter cases by pocket knives are out there?

Originally Posted By: oilyriser
Pocket knives allow you to be more independent, since they have many uses. Independence reduces profit and tax revenue.

I like that analysis of the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back