NYC and Knife Carrying - Warning

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Kershaw opens faster than a spring loaded, with zero centrifugal force applied. However that is the least concern of an inbred because of a chronically loaded 9mm. Lucky for me, I'm planning to visit NYC never.

This is very common knowledge. You don't walk around with a knife clipped to your pants in New York. You can usually get away with it if the knife is concealed deep in your pockets and invisible from the outside.

New York is essentially a "self defense" free zone. You can't carry a gun, you can't carry a knife, can't carry any weapons, pepper spray is probably way out of the question. It's an absolute travesty.

You can get creative and have a decent self defense weapon on you legally if you use your head. Carry a briefcase with a small packet of nails and a large claw hammer in it. If ever questioned why you are carrying a claw hammer you can advise that you had to put up a few picture frames at your office.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
Makes me asks what the [censored] has happened to america? I've carried a pocket knife since i was 9 or 10
The problem is the stupid voters.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: ram_man
Makes me asks what the [censored] has happened to america? I've carried a pocket knife since i was 9 or 10
The problem is the stupid voters.

Example: Portland,OR outlawed ... wait for it.......plastic bags. Hippies... they get stoned and rape common sense brutally with a dirty plunger wrapped in chicken wire.

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
Sounds like that Police man has himself an awesome knife collection!

Are they allowed to take your personal property without a receipt?
They take your knife and take a picture of your ID and then what?
Do you get placed in their database?
What is their due process?

Lets explain how it works in the real world.

Police man is doing his job. Yeah, you and I can agree that taking pocket knives from seemingly law abiding folks for no apparent reason is utter, ridiculous horse dung. Knives of those kind are illegal in NYC, and the officer is doing his job by confiscating them. Right or wrong, it's the law, and the citizens expect officers to enforce the laws that are on the books.

Option A: Officer confiscated the illegal knife, advises you it's illegal, sends you on your way, and than throws the knife in the confiscated knife bin back at headquarters. No report, no arrest, no property receipt, no fine. The fine essentially turns out to to be the cost of the lost knife and a talking to by a police officer.

Option B: OP throws a temper tantrum and demands that his property not be seized without due process. Also demands to receive a property receipt for his sized knife. Since the OP insists that all proper protocols and legalities be followed, he gets his property receipt for the seized knife. He also gets handcuffed, brought back to the station, charged with carrying a concealed weapon, faces a magistrate, has to post a $1000 bail, goes to court about 7 times over the course of the next year, pleads no contest to the charges and is fined $500 and placed on 12 months of probation. OP also loses his knife and it never gets returned.

Would you rather go with option A or option B?

The cop was just doing his job. He also realized that he had better things to do and to look for than to arrest the OP and charge him with carrying a concealed weapon, so he confiscated the knife and let him go.

Interestingly, I am good friends with a retired NYC police officer. He advised me that the officers got really good at spotting knives and guns and typically confiscated about 2 or 3 knives per day. Just as the OP was treated, no reports were written, no property receipts were given, no one was arrested, no fines were levied. They deposited the knives in a huge knife bin back at the station.

Originally Posted By: umungus1122
What's the law say there if you're headed to work with a tool belt on with hammer, awl, pry bar, etc.? Carrying a tool box?

Local chef got charged for carrying his tools of trade home.

After work, stopped for a beer before boarding the train rather than catching the very next train home.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
They need to carve out New York from the U.S. and send it floating out to sea somewhere.
Lol sorry Merk but they should do the same to California. If that happened, we here in AZ would have a beach!

I'm glad Arizona isn't a Nazi state.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
My Kershaw opens faster than a spring loaded, with zero centrifugal force applied. However that is the least concern of an inbred because of a chronically loaded 9mm. Lucky for me, I'm planning to visit NYC never.

+1 I'm so glad I don't live in a commie state. My 9mm stays loaded and chambered, I won't be a victim.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Incredible how there can be zero common sense in law enforcement.

It is good that the the "cop" did not cut or hurt himself while trying to open your knife.
They would have charged you with assault, maybe.

I bet these "cops" have a real nice knife collection! People have no common sense today because they did not learn any from their parents, who likewise, had none!
The law just like anything else, it should be applied with common sense.

Last edited:
Maybe the best thing about living in FL. I'd have to drive a long ways to get to the hellholes up north and out west.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Incredible how there can be zero common sense in law enforcement.

There can be lack of common sense in every job in every day of the week. All of us have lost our common sense one time or another.

Not the cop's fault.
bubbatime explained very well:

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

The cop was just doing his job. He also realized that he had better things to do and to look for than to arrest the OP and charge him with carrying a concealed weapon, so he confiscated the knife and let him go. Just as the OP was treated, no reports were written, no property receipts were given, no one was arrested, no fines were levied. They deposited the knives in a huge knife bin back at the station.

Last edited:
Your right to "keep and bear" (to own and to carry) arms has been infringed.

You have also been forcibly left defenseless in a crime filled area. The state has determined that you must become a victim, if a crime occurs. Insane. Get outa there.

Police man is doing his job.

Nope. The "Law Enforcement Officer" took an oath to uphold the Constitution. He failed to do so, by forcibly disarming the OP.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Your right to "keep and bear" (to own and to carry) arms has been infringed.

You have also been forcibly left defenseless in a crime filled area. The state has determined that you must become a victim, if a crime occurs. Insane. Get outa there.

it's amazing you made it out alive....

Police man is doing his job. Yeah, you and I can agree that taking pocket knives from seemingly law abiding folks for no apparent reason is utter, ridiculous horse dung. Knives of those kind are illegal in NYC, and the officer is doing his job by confiscating them. Right or wrong, it's the law, and the citizens expect officers to enforce the laws that are on the books.

So is it all knives are illegal, or knives of a certain length? I was under the impression from the OP's post that it was knives that are of the quick open/assisted open design?

Originally Posted By: GMFan
They then proceeded to question where I was going and asked for my ID. The police officer tried to open the blade and was checking to see if it would open with one hand. Regardless they told me it was against the law and basically they could arrest me despite not being able to open the blade with one hand after trying 10-15 times with all their force. I explained I was not from the city which they confirmed with my ID. Long story short I apologized and explained I wasn't aware that a simple folding knife was against the law. The officer took a photo of my driver's license with his phone (apparently to file some kind of report) and sent me on my way.

Anyways, 60,000 New Yorkers have been arrested over the last decade over "gravity knives" which NYC defines as a knife that can be opened by gravity or "centrifugal force." Apparently they don't understand that you could apply enough centrifugal force to anything and it would open or come apart. Then again, I wasn't about to argue physics with a man who could throw me in prison for 1 year.

Looks like his knife was taken anyway, even though it wasn't possible for them to open it one handed...

Knife laws differ widely by state or city.

I remember a limit on blade length in Arkansas, where I lived for a while. I just looked it up, and found a website called Knife Up that seems to explain state-by-state knife laws. Arkansas passed a 3 or 3.5" blade limit long ago, to stop people from having duels with Bowie knives. The law was recently repealed.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric

So is it all knives are illegal, or knives of a certain length? I was under the impression from the OP's post that it was knives that are of the quick open/assisted open design?

Knives the cop can get enough cash for on eBay are "illegal".

Quote:
Originally Posted By: GMFan
They then proceeded to question where I was going and asked for my ID. The police officer tried to open the blade and was checking to see if it would open with one hand. Regardless they told me it was against the law and basically they could arrest me despite not being able to open the blade with one hand after trying 10-15 times with all their force. I explained I was not from the city which they confirmed with my ID. Long story short I apologized and explained I wasn't aware that a simple folding knife was against the law. The officer took a photo of my driver's license with his phone (apparently to file some kind of report) and sent me on my way.

Anyways, 60,000 New Yorkers have been arrested over the last decade over "gravity knives" which NYC defines as a knife that can be opened by gravity or "centrifugal force." Apparently they don't understand that you could apply enough centrifugal force to anything and it would open or come apart. Then again, I wasn't about to argue physics with a man who could throw me in prison for 1 year.

Looks like his knife was taken anyway, even though it wasn't possible for them to open it one handed...

But it was worth enough cash the cop wanted to grab it! As I said: armed robbery under color of law enforcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back