NYC and Knife Carrying - Warning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Rhymingmechanic
Knife laws differ widely by state or city.

I remember a limit on blade length in Arkansas, where I lived for a while. I just looked it up, and found a website called Knife Up that seems to explain state-by-state knife laws. Arkansas passed a 3 or 3.5" blade limit long ago, to stop people from having duels with Bowie knives. The law was recently repealed.

A lot of our weapons laws have been revised, but I'm not sure about that one.

I can only imagine what would have happened to OP if he had a Bowie knife or Arkansas toothpick. The latter is more suited to dueling than the Bowie.

New York City is essentially a police state, even when I went to Cuba the police were not as bad. I'm guessing only in North Korea or Burma you would encounter a similar situation.

Be VERY great full you didn't have a bullet, even a spent casing can land you in hot water.

Generally NYC is a place best avoided.

What essentially happened to the OP happens every day, stop for no reason, frisk, and try to find something they can seize or charge you for. The only difference is at least in the third world you can slip the pigs a bit of cash and be left alone.

Last edited:
For the record they did not seize my knife. They told me to put it inside my backpack which had my hard hat and other tools. I agree that they were trying to check to see if it was a gravity knife but from what I've read it largely depends on the officer as the law is broad and open to interpretation. From what I've read if the officer wanted to they can arrest you for any folding knife as with enough force they can be opened. Plus it was a locking blade which is illegal however non locking blades are dangerous to use and can close on your hands. Plus the knife was partially open carried which is also illegal so yes the knife was probably illegal.

Regardless the officer used discretion but I firmly believe if I wasn't extremely compliant, had an honest excuse for carrying it on me and looked like an honest working man (wearing working boots and carharts) they would've arrested me.

I am moving out of NY state in three months for a more free state. If you like freedom stay out of NY and especially NYC.

I will also point out a person jumped the turnstile in front of me and there was a crack addict not 10 feet away from where I was stopped. In my brief time in NYC I saw more mentally ill people walking the streets, youths openly smoking pot in the city parks and graffiti is making a comeback. The city is headed downhill no doubt about that. Anyone who rides the subways and isn't worried about the mentally ill person screaming at a blank wall and yelling at people is lacking any sort of self preservation but then again NYC is a perfect place for you. 'Murcia.

To the poster who mentioned that NYC should break off and float into the sea I agree. Come to think of it there are some tectonic plates in the region but sadly not very active.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
Sounds like that Police man has himself an awesome knife collection!

Are they allowed to take your personal property without a receipt?
They take your knife and take a picture of your ID and then what?
Do you get placed in their database?
What is their due process?

Lets explain how it works in the real world.

Police man is doing his job. Yeah, you and I can agree that taking pocket knives from seemingly law abiding folks for no apparent reason is utter, ridiculous horse dung. Knives of those kind are illegal in NYC, and the officer is doing his job by confiscating them. Right or wrong, it's the law, and the citizens expect officers to enforce the laws that are on the books.

Option A: Officer confiscated the illegal knife, advises you it's illegal, sends you on your way, and than throws the knife in the confiscated knife bin back at headquarters. No report, no arrest, no property receipt, no fine. The fine essentially turns out to to be the cost of the lost knife and a talking to by a police officer.

Option B: OP throws a temper tantrum and demands that his property not be seized without due process. Also demands to receive a property receipt for his sized knife. Since the OP insists that all proper protocols and legalities be followed, he gets his property receipt for the seized knife. He also gets handcuffed, brought back to the station, charged with carrying a concealed weapon, faces a magistrate, has to post a $1000 bail, goes to court about 7 times over the course of the next year, pleads no contest to the charges and is fined $500 and placed on 12 months of probation. OP also loses his knife and it never gets returned.

Would you rather go with option A or option B?

The cop was just doing his job. He also realized that he had better things to do and to look for than to arrest the OP and charge him with carrying a concealed weapon, so he confiscated the knife and let him go.

Interestingly, I am good friends with a retired NYC police officer. He advised me that the officers got really good at spotting knives and guns and typically confiscated about 2 or 3 knives per day. Just as the OP was treated, no reports were written, no property receipts were given, no one was arrested, no fines were levied. They deposited the knives in a huge knife bin back at the station.

Thanks for sharing those options...

13.gif

^ Yikes!

Daily 'leaving home' preparations:

Keys
Wallet
Timepiece
Rotary pin
Glasses
Cell phone
Hearing aids
Handkerchief
Altoids
Good luck memento
Pocket knife

Only place I dont' carry a knife is into the courthouse. Kinda grateful I don't commute to NYC.
smile.gif

My wife works in upper management (six figure income) and has been offered nice promotions/transfers to New York, California, and Maryland. Not a single job was accepted. We WILL not be moving to a communist state.

Why do you think all the companies in this country are run out of communist states? Seems incongruous to me.
21.gif

My wife works in upper management (six figure income) and has been offered nice promotions/transfers to New York, California, and Maryland. Not a single job was accepted. We WILL not be moving to a communist state.

Ooh, like I'm gonna take that from someone in God's waiting room

gasps

You people invented the Laissez-Faire way of living (even worse then NY'ers)

You've rightfully earned the nickname "The Gunshine State"

How it's still legal to talk on the cell phone and drive is beyond me

And the usual oppressive weather, alligators, quasi southern charm meets redneck (South of Jacksonville down to Orlando is like California and NYC's illegitimate step child, for all the wrong reasons)

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher

Ooh, like I'm gonna take that from someone in God's waiting room

gasps

You people invented the Laissez-Faire way of living (even worse then NY'ers)

You've rightfully earned the nickname "The Gunshine State"

How it's still legal to talk on the cell phone and drive is beyond me

And the usual oppressive weather, alligators, quasi southern charm meets redneck (South of Jacksonville down to Orlando is like California and NYC's illegitimate step child, for all the wrong reasons)

Cool story bro. Florida weather sucks, its hotter than all get out, the mosquitos carry away small children. We have no state income tax, and the cost of living is pretty nice. $300K down here will get you a nice house that would cost a million dollars in California or New York. I'm very proud of the "gunshine state". In fact I carry a gun every single day. Sometimes I carry two guns. And cops dont steal my pocket knives from me and threaten to arrest me.

As my boy Ben Franklin used to say, "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
The problem with Florida is the fact that it is oppressively hot about ten months of the year.

It sure is!

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
The problem with Florida is the fact that it is oppressively hot about ten months of the year.

It sure is!
And the weekly hurricanes. Stay away from FL. It's a death trap.

Dec, Jan, Feb its nice in FL.

Lots move to FL thinking its easy to find work but are unhappy with job market. The taxes are low and really stretching your income.

My family has two houses in FL which I have not seen in 7 years. I dislike the state.

Firstly its all old people from the Northeast, I don't think I have met to many real locals. Most people go down their for a variety of reasons, either retirement or wanting to live cheaply.

Their zoning at least inland sucks, you can have a very nice house next to a trailer. Our houses are located in the Villages which helps that. As a builder one of my favorite activities when I'm down their is my uncles dead subdivision tour. Where we drive around and marvel at all the dead subdivisions.

Job market? Unless your close to a city that seems to consist of $10 an hour and under jobs. FL money is all relocated Northeast money.

As said above unless its winter the weather sucks.

IMHO if I were going to buy a house in a warm local I'd skip FL all together and go to Cayman or Curacao. If your going to live tropical well go to the real islands and live tropical.

Last edited:
I bought an 18" Machete at Harbor Freight and a Smith & Wesson tactical blade of some sort at Autozone.. Quick, come to my home and lock me up. (Point is I bought them over the counter in one of the states that supposedly you can't have them.) I also have super strong pepper spray.. that, I bought on the Internet. So all kinds of weapons trafficking going on by me.

I leave both in my garage because if you are ever stopped, it's a weapons charge. I still have them, though.

No comment on the comments about this country and the toilet.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
I believe the same is true in Philadelphia.

It is. And don't DARE cross the border Eastward as it only gets worse..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back