US to ban most pocket knives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Beyond that, their significantly expanded interpretation of gravity and inertia knives, also included in the Act, would clearly make one-hand opening pocket knives illegal and according to industry sources, 80% of pocket knives sold today are one-hand or assisted openers. Beyond even that clearly excessively broad seizure of authority, we know from past unfortunate experience in many cases over the years that this sort of misinterpretation leads to potential abuse by law enforcement where even the most simple and innocuous Boy Scout folding pocket knife can be opened one-handed by use of dangerous and unsafe tricks, so that these too would be covered under this expanded federal definition. This ruling would therefore make almost all pocket knives subject to being considered switchblades.

The impact of this CBP ruling would go far beyond just imported knives because this "agency determination" will be used by domestic courts and law enforcement to determine what is a "switchblade" under both federal and state laws. Many states do not themselves define switchblades and simply rely on the federal definition and interpretation, which is only found in rulings by CBP. Since interstate commerce in switchblades is prohibited, except under very limited conditions, simply driving across a state line with a pocket knife in their possession would make someone a federal felon.

http://www.kniferights.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=81&Itemid=1

I have carried a pocket knife ever since I was in Scouts!
thumbsup2.gif

Although I don't agree with this legislation and am against it, this press release is cleverly worded scare tactic. It does not ban "most pocket knives" it bans one-handed/assisted-open knives which make up "most" (according to the release) of the knife sales. most knife sales doesn't equal most knives.

For the record, I carry an assisted-open knife and am not giving it back.

Before you know it, "Leatherman"-type multi-gizzies will be banned. And when that happens I WILL have a nuclear meltdown!

What is this world coming to? Shoot, a pocket knife is an absolute essential IMO.

Quote:
It does not ban "most pocket knives" it bans one-handed/assisted-open knives which make up "most" (according to the release) of the knife sales.most knife sales doesn't equal most knives

I would have to disagree, most knive sales does equal most knives.

Got a thumbstud on your pocket knife? Thumb disk? A hole in the blade for a finger or thumb? Waved knife? That is a one-handed knife. Its not assisted, but does fall under one-handed.

Alex.
I like my thumbstud.

smirk2.gif
as I sit here fondling my Boker switchblade.

I have more pocket knives than I have pockets.

I've only had this switchblade a few weeks and cant' really understand how it's any more dangerous than a regular knife. Is opening it 1/2 second fast going to kill someone fast or something. Like I would ever use a knife to kill someone (It's way to close and personal for my liking) I'll take a gun thank you.

Well Uncle Sam wants the guns and the knives, the next few years should be very interesting. I would suggest joining the NRA, and/or any other organizations that will defend our Second Amendment rights. We have one [censored] of a fight on our hands. JMO

AD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back