Upstream O2 sensors and fuel mileage

I want to think this could be the cause in my slight loss in MPG, wanted to pick the brains here.

2012 Yukon XL 6.2, 140K miles, owned vehicle since it had 85K and basically zero issues in regards to driveability. Last 3 years we have taken trips to the beach, roughly 450 miles and I could easily do this on one tank. Granted the DIC is not 100%, generally reads about .5 MPG higher than reality. I could get between 19.5 and 20 MPG AVG on the DIC, 70-75 MPH, cruise set, easy going. This trip I averaged 17 on the DIC and the fuel gauge needle confirmed this.

Tires are Defender LTX, 37 PSI, no brakes dragging, calipers are nearly ambient temps when checking at rest area, alignment is spot on, MAF cleaned also.

About 2 months ago, my upstream sensor, bank 1 had a code for the heater circuit, and I needed to change them as they were getting slightly lazy anyway. I went with the Delphi ES20013 from RA and all was good, I am a firm believer in only OE for GM electrical but figured these would fit the bill. Around town I noticed only a slight drop in MPG, nothing major, but at highway speed is where it shows it's face.

This is the sensor.
Screenshot_20240624_090915_Chrome.jpg

Here's a screenshot of my Torque app at about 73 MPH, I don't know if the average voltage here will tell a story, not sure where it should be, but I'm looking at about a 15% loss in MPG.

Screenshot_20240624_085222_Gallery.jpg

This shot was a little slower around 65 MPH

Screenshot_20240624_085251_Gallery.jpg

I can do a compression test later but this seemed to happen right after the O2 sensors change. I'm a firm believer in OE electronic parts for GM but figured these would fit the bill. I might have to just try the AC sensors just to see, but might be worth the price to confirm.

As far as bank 1 pulling more fuel out, one theory could be that a few months after my last beach trip last summer I replaced all my RH rockers as I was developing a "tick", haven't done the LH side yet. So maybe the possible added airflow is needing more fuel, not sure.

All thoughts appreciated.

Normally fuel milage goes doen as they get old as they tend to make the engine run richer.
New sensor is normally better fuel milage.
I changed mine about a month ago and got the highest fuel economy ever in my dodge pickup truck. If I didn't get a late start the one morning I drove my truck to work at 80mph and had I been more on time it have been over 20mpg for sure.

Can't say for sure, already tossed the packaging...I thought it was USA but not sure. I agree trims look good, but the sensor voltage average possibly could be slightly higher.

Tips of sensor was different also, Delphi had 4 rows of holes up the tip, OE had about 3-5 holes right at the tip.

OE
Screenshot_20240624_100200_Gallery.jpg

Delphi

Screenshot_20240624_100315_Chrome.jpg

Can't say for sure, already tossed the packaging...I thought it was USA but not sure. I agree trims look good, but the sensor voltage average possibly could be slightly higher.

Tips of sensor was different also, Delphi had 4 rows of holes up the tip, OE had about 3 holes right at the tip.

OE View attachment 226676

Delphi

View attachment 226677
Yeah I used a Delphi or at least Delphi style.

My Sequoia started throwing a code for the bank 1 upstream, so I got a new one and since the bank 2 was original I bought one to replace it as well. Got two new Denso sensors from Autozone and installed them. It took care of the check engine light but immediately and to this day it gets 2-3 mpg less on the highway than it always did with the old sensors. It was no longer my daily driver and I rarely drive it even now so it wasnt a big deal but the effect was immediate.

Did you clear the fuel adaptations? If not, that's definitely something that should be done and I'm not sure if a simple battery disconnect will do it on a 2012. You may need a scanner to manually reset.

Other than that, my only other suggestion is to ditch the Delphi and go with the OEM sensors. They're exactly $2 more on RA vs. the Delphi. Part # 2133866. I ALWAYS used GM Genuine sensors on those trucks to avoid issues.

EDIT: Available even cheaper on Amazon:

GM Genuine Oxygen Sensor

Did you clear the fuel adaptations? If not, that's definitely something that should be done and I'm not sure if a simple battery disconnect will do it on a 2012. You may need a scanner to manually reset.

Other than that, my only other suggestion is to ditch the Delphi and go with the OEM sensors. They're exactly $2 more on RA vs. the Delphi. Part # 2133866. I ALWAYS used GM Genuine sensors on those trucks to avoid issues.
Yes I did reset with the Tech 2. Not sure what GM part numbers will cross-reference, but mine are 12583804.

Yes I did reset with the Tech 2. Not sure what GM part numbers will cross-reference, but mine are 12583804.

213-3866 is the cross. If you punch in 12583804 under the part number search on RA, they'll pop up. Second from the last option.

Denso is the ones you want
It's your factory sensors

GM about completely phased out the use of Delco/Delphi sensors by 2003....Denso made the OE sensors for your truck.

That's what I was thinking when I bought the Denso's.

However this is what I discovered during this maintenance....

The sensor on the right looks exactly like what I took out, and the OE 12583804 based on my VIN looks the same, and that's what the dealer would give me. The Denso on the left looks totally different.

Screenshot_20240625_081459_Cut Paste Photos.jpg

The 213-3866 is the downstream sensor, I need the upstreams.
Respectfully, I have to disagree. This is straight from GM using the PN you provided:

1000002594.jpg

As you can see, it clearly states that the AC Delco number is 213-3866 and the OEM number is the same as you provided. Unless I'm missing something?

Respectfully, I have to disagree. This is straight from GM using the PN you provided:

View attachment 226909
As you can see, it clearly states that the AC Delco number is 213-3866 and the OEM number is the same as you provided. Unless I'm missing something?
I'm not doubting you, but the reason I didn't buy it from RA was the description it gave stating it's the downstream.

Last one in pic.

Screenshot_20240625_145639_Chrome.jpg

I called 2 dealerships and gave them my VIN, both came back with 12583804 for the upstream.

I do want to call again and see where this 213# falls.

That's very strange, RA's catalog is usually good but in this case I'd trust GM. I'm curious to hear what your dealer says.

I'm curious to hear what your dealer says.
Contacted my dealer today, based on my VIN, the downstream sensor is 12609457.

Edit to add:

213-3866 is the AC Delco part # for the GM 12583804 upstream sensor.

213-4229 is the AC Delco part # for the GM 12609457 downstream sensor.

So looks like RA has a typo.

Last edited:
Contacted my dealer today, based on my VIN, the downstream sensor is 12609457.

Edit to add:

213-3866 is the AC Delco part # for the GM 12583804 upstream sensor.

213-4229 is the AC Delco part # for the GM 12609457 downstream sensor.

So looks like RA has a typo.
Well that's good news! Amazon had a great price on the 213-3866. Win-win

As an aside: technically, RA's cross reference WAS correct when using the manual part number search function, a function I find extremely useful. Their catalog, however, is definitely incorrect as you showed

Last edited:
Back