Upsizing filter for 2011 Civic 1.8?`

According to aftermarket specs, I am to use a 6607-size filter (which to me is ridiculously tiny considering older Hondas use to run 9688 or 7317).

Is there any harm in moving up to one of those sizes? From what I've heard, the change to a smaller oil filter is to help with quicker oil pressure upon startup

I didn't know they said to use 6607 :poop:

Honda only uses one oil filter for all their cars, and the Honda A02 is basically a PH7317

You can use a 7317 with no problems :)

Blame the Walmart machine that tells you what size to use. I'm pretty sure that's also what they're using universally in their TLE shop for Hondas, Nissans, and Skyactiv Mazdas

Many shops will do this, especially the quicky lube places. They consolidate filters to the smallest can that will fit so they don't have to carry dozens of different filters, helps them minimize inventory :sneaky:

Also, Fram's site says to use the 7317 for your 2011 Civic

Honda uses a 7317 size/type for all of their modern engines.

Blame the Walmart machine that tells you what size to use
They do that (now) because there's not a 7317 Supertech equivalent, if I'm not mistaken. At least on Walmart's website, if you put in that car, it shows Fram 7317 options, Mobil 1 M-110A, etc.

Wix 57356, $4.70 at Rock Auto....

About the longest 7317 size, except for Luber Finer LF486 and Baldwin B1431...

According to aftermarket specs, I am to use a 6607-size filter (which to me is ridiculously tiny considering older Hondas use to run 9688 or 7317).

Is there any harm in moving up to one of those sizes? From what I've heard, the change to a smaller oil filter is to help with quicker oil pressure upon startup
The quick lubes and WM are seeming to gravitate towards the 6607 size for M18x1.5 Japanese/Korean applications. Money and part number consolidation. They’re doing the same for the Toyota 4-cyl engines to the smaller 4967 size.

As said this is part number consolidation to reduce required inventory for TLE/Quick Lubes.

The specified part number for USA applications except the s2000 is all superseded to A02 or equivalent unless there has been a relatively recent deviation.

Look your Civic up on a Honda parts website and the number it gives you will almost assuredly be an A02.

That said Honda does in fact manufacture and specify a small filter for other markets, or did at least.

The 7317 is an upsized 9688, the now-discontinued 3593a is an upsized 6607. All four will work and carry near identical bypass psi (12-13)

I would use a 3593a sized filter, such as Wix/Napa Gold 51334 or PurolatorOne PL14459 if you can fit it

Back