UPS Pilot Gripe Sheets and AME Replies

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaj

I picked this up on another forum. I'm surprised it wasn't here already:

Remember it takes a college degree to fly a plane, but only a high school diploma to fix one; a reassurance to those of us who fly routinely in our jobs.

After every flight, UPS pilots fill out a form, called a 'gripe sheet,' which tells mechanics about problems with the aircraft. The mechanics correct the problems, document their repairs on the form, and then pilots review the gripe sheets before the next flight.

Never let it be said that ground crews lack a sense of humour. Here are some actual maintenance complaints submitted by UPS pilots (marked with a P) and the solutions recorded (marked with an S) by maintenance engineers.

P: Left inside main tire almost needs replacement.
S: Almost replaced left inside main tire.
P: Test flight OK, except auto-land very rough.
S: Auto-land not installed on this aircraft.
P: Something loose in cockpit.
S: Something tightened in cockpit.
P: Dead bugs on windshield.
S: Live bugs on back-order.
P: Autopilot in altitude-hold mode produces a 200-feet-per-minute descent.
S: Cannot reproduce problem on ground.
P: Evidence of leak on right main landing gear.
S: Evidence removed.
P: DME volume unbelievably loud.
S: DME volume set to more believable level.
P: Friction locks cause throttle levers to stick.
S: That's what friction locks are for.
P: IFF inoperative in OFF mode.
S: IFF is always inoperative in OFF mode.
P: Suspected crack in windshield.
S: Suspect you're right.
P: Number 3 engine missing.
S: Engine found on right wing after brief search.
P: Aircraft handles funny.
S: Aircraft warned to straighten up, fly right and be serious.
P: Target radar hums.
S: Reprogrammed target radar with lyrics.
P: Mouse in cockpit.
S: Cat installed.
And the best one for last:
P: Noise coming from under instrument panel. Sounds like a midget pounding on something with a hammer.
S: Took hammer away from the midget.

Originally Posted By: jaj
I picked this up on another forum. I'm surprised it wasn't here already:

It comes up every once in a while. The airline pilots always changes. It is sometimes Australian, sometimes Air Force (Vietnam era), and sometimes Canadian Air.

reminds me of an mass email of 10 trials I just got from a certain party. The idea was to enrage people so they would vote against trial lawyers and contingent fee's.

They did it as real not as a joke. I can't believe, they think I will believe the below. (if you have a good case you don't have to lie to me)

In November, Mr. Grazinski purchased a brand new 32 foot Winnebago motor home. On his first trip home, having joined the freeway, he set the cruise control at 70 mph and calmly left the drivers seat to go into the back and make himself a cup of coffee. Not surprisingly, the Winnie left the freeway, crashed and overturned. Mr. Grazinski sued Winnebago for not advising him in the handbook that he could not actually do this. He was awarded $1,750,000 plus a new Winnebago.

I fill out similar check sheets every day for the truck I drive...and I do not care HOW sassy the responses are, as long as they fix my truck! (But, they often do not!)

Seen it before as well. I get a kick out of the live bugs being on back order.

How hard can it be to get live bugs. Oh wait, they probably have to be FAA approved live bugs
smile.gif

Should see the airline graffiti inside some planes cargo landing doors, fuel doors, and other things. Used to work fueling at an airport years ago, maybe they cracked down on this since then, but it wasn't terribly uncommon to see notes scrawled with sharpies inside fuel doors, from jokes to sarcastic remarks, digging at protocol, unionization, or certain pilots and staff from employees working on the tarmac.

I think the best I saw was on the inside of a cargo hatch someone scrawled "If the plane is moving and you can see this consider it your two weeks vacation. Thank you for flying United Airlines."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back