Upping my firewood game

Heating the yet to be finished shop and guest house with wood next winter. I realized I am way to old to be splitting firewood the old fashioned way so I purchased a new splitter (going to be shared but I own it). It was not my first choice, or my second or third :). My first 3 choices had waiting times of 9 months to a year or more. I saw this one semi locally and I figured with supply chain only going to get worse I better strike while the iron is hot. Plus the dealer not only had this on the lot but it was discounted. It also came with the Hydraulic fluid (shipped one's come dry) so that means the 25 gallons of delvac I purchased can be saved. I also saved tax and shipping. Feel like I did ok :)

Timberwolf TW2-HD, log lift and hydraulic 4 way wedge. Honda GX-270, Prince valves and Bailey pump. So about as made in America as you can get.

Also because Georgia is having a fuel tax holiday until June I brought my 100 gallon tank and filled it, saved 49 cents a gallon over local

PXL_20220528_191352907.jpg

PXL_20220528_191504078.jpg

PXL_20220528_191522057.jpg

Wow. The 4 way cuts splitting time in half I bet. You can raise/lower it hydraulically to match diameter? That's sweet.

Way BITD we'd buy a log truck load of logs and have to cut to length then rent a splitter. The fun wore off pretty quick.

WOW thats a serious splitter! Makes my county line look like a toothpick maker!
Yeah I overbought for sure. It will get a lot of use but probably meant more for FW sellers. Should last my lifetime and maybe that of my son :)

That is a super duty splitter. I will need to borrow it next weekend !!

Last edited:
That is a super duty splitter. I will need to borrow it next weekend !!
come on down :) weather has been great too

What timing, my new hookaroon and can't hook just got delivered. Purposely bought made in the USA as well. Trying hard to keep my money in the states when I can. Guess I know what I am doing the rest of the weekend :) My other hookaroon broke a while back and I miss using one.

PXL_20220528_230231125.jpg

PXL_20220528_230257390.jpg

What timing, my new hookaroon and can't hook just got delivered. Purposely bought made in the USA as well. Trying hard to keep my money in the states when I can. Guess I know what I am doing the rest of the weekend :) My other hookaroon broke a while back and I miss using one.

View attachment 101715

View attachment 101717
I thought I knew my tools pretty good, but what is a hookaroon??

That’s a nice rig!

Hookaroon. Never heard of that before.

Is that like a Peavy?
Peavy is like a can't hook. I actually use the terms interchangeably but I know they have slight differences.

hookaroon I use to pick up or move smaller logs. You can spike it into the end of the log and move it around or lift it to the splitter without bending.

Hope that makes sense

Peavy is like a can't hook. I actually use the terms interchangeably but I know they have slight differences.

hookaroon I use to pick up or move smaller logs. You can spike it into the end of the log and move it around or lift it to the splitter without bending.

Hope that makes sense
It does. Cut a lot of firewood when I lived in Vermont. Peavy was critical.

Split it by hand, though. with one of these:

Nothing like your rig, but a wonderful tool and it kept me in shape as well as lowering my stress level. Nothing like slamming an axe through a log and watching it fly apart in one blow…

View attachment 101715

View attachment 101717
I have been thinking about one of those hookeroons( pickeroon) , let me know if you like it!

That is a very nice setup.

Now you need a straw bale conveyor thing so you can just throw it on that and let it pile up. Lol.

It does. Cut a lot of firewood when I lived in Vermont. Peavy was critical.

Split it by hand, though. with one of these:

Nothing like your rig, but a wonderful tool and it kept me in shape as well as lowering my stress level. Nothing like slamming an axe through a log and watching it fly apart in one blow…
Yeah, someday I'll need to use a nice gas log splitter like that one, but for now I find this guy is my weapon of choice! I like the pull through handle style, as it seems to be the toughest. I kept on loosening or breaking wooden handle mauls, and this one doesn't seem to care what I do with it...
I do rip the the tough ones to split with the chainsaw though and some others take a couple whacks... I just split on the ground to save handling and more swing arc.

Attachments

• collins axe.jpg
    collins axe.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 6
  • splits.JPG
    splits.JPG
    232.6 KB · Views: 6
Back