the ring to go (but out.) The upshot is that the ring will
break,causing loss of compression,head/valve damage. It can happen in
diesels as well. I've seen teardowns with the use of UCL's and most of
the rings are stuck. That is the beauty of Rotella T, it keeps
ringlands super clean. It's that "high detergency" in the additive
package that makes a good oil-great!

Are they talking about Lucas ??
dunno.gif

iam not sure but i believe they were it was a blog from naddie...is that a problem with lucas? what about neutra and redlines ci-1? are we ok with these products?and now you have fp3000

I know neutra is not an upper c lub. It neutralizes the acids in oil if used in oil .lubricates and cleans valves and injectors. It really doesn't do anything to the rings. as for redline, I believe it does the same. unlike lucas, it changes the oil and is used in oil. I don't think mm affects the rings either. lucas is a thicker oil like bright stock and I can see where it might varnish the walls.

redline says on its site too that it is also an ucl as does neutra..but these are in addition too....it is not as thick as lucas...will be excited to see how fp3000 works...

All I can say about this is that I burned some Lucas UCL in a metal cup by heating the bottom of the cup with a blow torch and it left a nasty sticky varnish in the cup. I then tried to burn off the varnish with an intense direct flame to no avail. Since then I never used this product again...plus it actually decreased gas mileage in my VW 1.8T engine. Obviously burning Lucas UCL straight isn't the same as what goes on in the engine's cylinders but it does make me wonder if what's quoted above is true.

JAG - That is a great idea for a test, especially considering the average car engine with hot spots! Did you try this on any other products, like FP60 or Neutra? Would love to know how they fare.

MSHU7 - Actually, in a normal car engine, you do have hot spots, and hot rings, so I would say that this is at least a good idea of what could happen. And regarding the article, a motorcycle engine (air cooled) can be even hotter...

Just my thoughts...

I'd have to get my welding book out but isn't the temperature that a blow torch puts out several times hotter than normal combustion in an engine?

Quote:

JAG - That is a great idea for a test, especially considering the average car engine with hot spots! Did you try this on any other products, like FP60 or Neutra? Would love to know how they fare.

No I haven't tested the others since I've never bought them. I'll let someone else volunteer to do that.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back