Upgrading to a more efficient truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
My current truck is a 2018 Tacoma 2.7 6AT 4wd. I average 14.5 mpg winter, 17 summer(hand calculated) It’s not bad for a truck...but IMO seems abit low for a 4 banger that has no power. I’d be happy if I was closer to 20 mpg but it’s just not possible when keeping up with traffic.

I placed a reservation on the new F150 lightning, but there are a few drawbacks so I looked into both the F150 PowerBoost Hybrid and Chevy half-ton Duramax 3.0 to see what their fuel costs are.

Currently
87 Octane $3.19/gal
Diesel $3.48/gal
I’ve been driving my other car lately and haven’t kept track of my monthly mileage. But I figure it’s about 1000/mo give or take.

Tacoma - 20 gallon tank - 280-330 miles per tank - roughly 17-18 gallons per fill up runs $60 each. Assuming I can feather the gas pedal and get 330 miles per tank, it’s at least $180/mo

F150 Hybrid - 36 gallon tank - fill up 33 gallons is equivalent to 800 miles per tank(estimated 24 mpg combined) - would be $105. To make it a complete 1000 miles figure another $30 which puts at $135 a month.

Silverado Duramax 3.0 - 22 gallon tank - fill up 19 gallons is equivalent to 494 miles(estimated 26 mpg combined) - $65 per fill up. 2x that for 1000 miles and it’s about $135/mo also

F150 Lightning extended range - no exact specs on the battery but I assume $10 per charge($0.04 per mile) 4 charges per month(250 miles). $40/mo? Is that too optimistic?

Am I doing the math right?

I don’t hate my Tacoma. It’s the perfect size, just wish it had higher payload/towing capacity or better MPG for how little power it has. And I know those numbers for the hybrid/diesel are just estimates compared to my Tacoma’s real world numbers. I’d assume the cost gap would be smaller in the real world.

ideally I want half ton capability with mid sized fuel economy. The new Maverick hybrid is great on paper but id probably snap it in half pretty quickly. My Tacoma is already starting to drive a little weird after hauling a few max weight loads.
So you think your fuel is 50 dollars more a month. So 600 dollars a year.. 6000 dollars per ten years. What are you planning to spend to get this truck ? 15 to 30 grand additional for a used one. That is 50 to 100 years of fuel cost. Plus the toyota has cheaper parts cost inc tires etc.
My 2007 sequoia needed tires. Spent 1450 installed for my 17 inch tires. What do your toyota tires cost ? Get the idea here ?

Tacoma is owned in full. Cost of new truck would be about 24k plus tax & tag.

The Tacoma is the correct size for driving but lacks in capability. Another factor im taking into account is that it’s falling apart. I brought it used...long story short went to the dealer to buy NEW but they sold it. This was the same exact spec with 10k miles used.

I can put up with the fuel economy and the lack of power, but i was planning on the F150 Lightning anyways. The hybrid/diesel truck idea really branched off that. If there was no lightning the Powerboost/duramax would never cross my mind.
The ford e truck will not be available at list for a long time. You might have to pay ten to 15 k add dealer profit in the next year or two.

How long will you keep the electric truck ?? Because at 8 to 10 years you will likely need to spend 12000 to 15000 for a new battery.. and electric vehicles deprecate like girls innocence on prom night.

Ford Maverick hybrid, hands down.

What are you hauling that's so heavy? With the $30k you'll save on the purchase, rent something every once in a while to haul it if the Maverick really can't.

What Nick1994 says here makes a LOT of sense. Find out how often a truck is needed to see if renting one as needed makes better a better $ calculation.

So you think your fuel is 50 dollars more a month. So 600 dollars a year.. 6000 dollars per ten years. What are you planning to spend to get this truck ? 15 to 30 grand additional for a used one. That is 50 to 100 years of fuel cost. Plus the toyota has cheaper parts cost inc tires etc.
My 2007 sequoia needed tires. Spent 1450 installed for my 17 inch tires. What do your toyota tires cost ? Get the idea here ?
Funny - you bumped an 8 month old thread - the gas cost has recently skyrocketed and a more fuel efficient vehicle would have a short payback now!
I vote for sell the vette, buy a Prius Prime, sell the Taco, buy (or wait for prices to come down) a used, cheaper, larger truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back