Upgraded my broken 2005 snowblower to an 80s model - what do you think?

The 2005 was a hand me down from the father in law. Not well cared for, original belts ready to break, cable kinked and was very frustrating to try and replace, and a foreign object jammed in and broke a shear pin. I'll fix it in the spring to have a backup.
$350 for this 80s MTD 8/24 was the best deal I could find. It's a dream to use with the fast 2 speed reverse and manual transmission. Needs belts soon and a muffler, and it's leaking gas if you don't shut the fuel valve off immediately after use.
Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_20220202_193843.jpg
    IMG_20220202_193843.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_20220202_200115~2.jpg
    IMG_20220202_200115~2.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_20220202_195520.jpg
    IMG_20220202_195520.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_20220202_195512.jpg
    IMG_20220202_195512.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_20220202_193833.jpg
    IMG_20220202_193833.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_20220202_193825.jpg
    IMG_20220202_193825.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_20220202_201438~2.jpg
    IMG_20220202_201438~2.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_20220203_181606.jpg
    IMG_20220203_181606.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_20220202_195917.jpg
    IMG_20220202_195917.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 106
The oil before I changed it... unknown history but sure looks better than I expected.

Attachments

• IMG_20220202_193505~2.jpg
    IMG_20220202_193505~2.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20220202_193520~2.jpg
    IMG_20220202_193520~2.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20220202_191621.jpg
    IMG_20220202_191621.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 29
Wow.. $350 for that ~40yr/old MTD. Yikes.

Those were beastly for sure and it looks like a single shaft engine which is nice because you can easily re-power it should you want/need to.

One problem might me chassis and drive system parts for that machine. Might be in short or no supply aside from used.

I have two ~22yr/old MTD snowblowers in my fleet. Both are on original belts, friction disks, carburetors, etc at this point.

My Ariens Sno-Tek machine needed a new friction disk by year 4.

Those were beastly for sure and it looks like a single shaft engine which is nice because you can easily re-power it should you want/need to.

One problem might me chassis and drive system parts for that machine. Might be in short or no supply aside from used.

I have two ~22yr/old MTD snowblowers in my fleet. Both are on original belts, friction disks, carburetors, etc at this point.

My Ariens Sno-Tek machine needed a new friction disk by year
With availability issues the cheapest locally used (and this is Canadian prices) was $500-600 for what looked like a good one.... anything in this price range was a 20 year old entry level MTD and usually still gone by the time I messaged.
$3000 tax in for a good quality Toro at a good local repair shop...$1500-2000 at Canadian tire for something I can make payments on but had very poor reviews.
With the price I paid I don't mind spending some money on it in the near future.
A few years ago this might have seemed overpriced, but not in today's market imo.

Last year you could get a replacement carb off Amazon for $25 but I dont know about today but you probably still can get a new float and needle and seat for that carb. That should stop the leak when its off. Those old Sno King motors always ran rich especially at less than full throttle and they tend to belch a little if you throttle up too fast. One thing you need to watch is that it does not go over 3450 rpm at full throttle, its easy to get them up to high while trying to get them to smooth out but the old Tec. dont do well if they are run too fast. The vibration tachs are a life saver for working on small engines. And when you go to get a float and needle try to find a number or model on the carb because Tecumseh must have used 5 or 6 different models across the years.

A few years ago I bought a carb for my 1995 Murray 5hp, 22 inch snowblower. Ifrc it cost $12.50 shipped to my house from china. Looked identical to what I had. The only reason I replaced it was, the bowl had become porous. You could actually see gas coming thru the side of the bowl, and drip all over. At first I thought it was the bowl gasket, but nope. Runs fine with the replacement carb. I've replaced the belt, installed a tube in one tire that was dry rotted, and oiled and greased it up. It's perfect for my use, and I couldn't see buying a new one for what they cost these days.,,,

I bought a old used non-running 6hp craftsman years ago for $100. Got it running okay but the carb leaked and needed rebuilding. After putting up with it for a few years of adjusting the carb I ended up buying a new engine carb and all from a store called Princess Auto (Canadian version of Harbor Freight). It's a Husqvarna replacement snowblower engine and was $110cad bolted right up and has worked trouble free now for 3 seasons.

With availability issues the cheapest locally used (and this is Canadian prices) was $500-600 for what looked like a good one.... anything in this price range was a 20 year old entry level MTD and usually still gone by the time I messaged.
$3000 tax in for a good quality Toro at a good local repair shop...$1500-2000 at Canadian tire for something I can make payments on but had very poor reviews.
With the price I paid I don't mind spending some money on it in the near future.
A few years ago this might have seemed overpriced, but not in today's market imo.

I didn't realize we were talking Canadian clicks. Couple that with being the dead of winter, the 'rona, etc, I get it. As long as it works and does the job for you a snowblower is worth it's weight in gold IMO. Probably the worst part of that machine for me would be not being able to remotely adjust the high/low deflection of the discharge, but the lack of is sure better than nothing!

Have you tried pulling the wheels off the axles? Often times they're corroded in place which isn't fun.

Last year you could get a replacement carb off Amazon for $25 but I dont know about today but you probably still can get a new float and needle and seat for that carb. That should stop the leak when its off. Those old Sno King motors always ran rich especially at less than full throttle and they tend to belch a little if you throttle up too fast. One thing you need to watch is that it does not go over 3450 rpm at full throttle, its easy to get them up to high while trying to get them to smooth out but the old Tec. dont do well if they are run too fast. The vibration tachs are a life saver for working on small engines. And when you go to get a float and needle try to find a number or model on the carb because Tecumseh must have used 5 or 6 different models across the years.
It seems to be running better the longer I run it. It was dark when I ran it tonight. Was belching a little on throttle up but seemed like it got smoother the longer I ran it. I don't think it's revving too high at max RPM, I've seen YouTube videos of how that results in a 2 piece connecting rod...I'll shut it down the second it seems like it's overreving. The throttle cable backs off with vibration and I have to crank it back up. That's the only issue I've had besides the needle and seat fuel leak.

I bought a old used non-running 6hp craftsman years ago for $100. Got it running okay but the carb leaked and needed rebuilding. After putting up with it for a few years of adjusting the carb I ended up buying a new engine carb and all from a store called Princess Auto (Canadian version of Harbor Freight). It's a Husqvarna replacement snowblower engine and was $110cad bolted right up and has worked trouble free now for 3 seasons.
We have a princess auto in town. Who makes the engine, is it a known brand?

I didn't realize we were talking Canadian clicks. Couple that with being the dead of winter, the 'rona, etc, I get it. As long as it works and does the job for you a snowblower is worth it's weight in gold IMO. Probably the worst part of that machine for me would be not being able to remotely adjust the high/low deflection of the discharge, but the lack of is sure better than nothing!

Have you tried pulling the wheels off the axles? Often times they're corroded in place which isn't fun.
Yeah that's the only real downside I've seen but the other one also doesn't have it. I haven't tried pulling the wheels off, hopefully it's not bad, it doesn't appear as corroded as you'd think for it's age.

My Ariens Sno-Tek machine needed a new friction disk by year 4.
Is the friction disc a normal repair item on all snowblowers?

Is the friction disc a normal repair item on all snowblowers?

Yes, either they wear down due to normal (or abnormal) use, or the rubber degrades and the rubber surface gets all torn and lumpy. You'll know it's bad or failing when the wheels won't propel the unit.

I believe my ~2015 model year Ariens Snotek machine wore out it's disk so quickly because the machine is a little too big for the size of the disk it has. It's 28" wide.

They're not a difficult item to replace.

I don't what your location is @350Rocket but, I adopt curb finds and repair them as a hobby. Once they are running, I either donate them or sometimes, sell them to recover my costs, as I enjoy the challenge. I recently tried to sell a vintage Toro 421 for $60, which is much less than I spent to restore it and no takers. I have decided to donate it to a colleague.

I don't what your location is @350Rocket but, I adopt curb finds and repair them as a hobby. Once they are running, I either donate them or sometimes, sell them to recover my costs, as I enjoy the challenge. I recently tried to sell a vintage Toro 421 for $60, which is much less than I spent to restore it and no takers. I have decided to donate it to a colleague.
That's crazy....I would have bought that in a heartbeat, for more than 3 times that price. What kind of work did you have to do it and what is it like getting parts? I need to find the same muffler for mine (looks like they used the same L shaped one for years on the Tecumseh). Flames coming out the muffler seems like a minor safety hazard. Lol
Now that I have a backup I can work on them in the spring when it warms up... but I also don't mind paying for repairs when it's saving me from paying $2000+ for a newer light duty one with all the safety nanny's that I hate.

Yes, either they wear down due to normal (or abnormal) use, or the rubber degrades and the rubber surface gets all torn and lumpy. You'll know it's bad or failing when the wheels won't propel the unit.

I believe my ~2015 model year Ariens Snotek machine wore out it's disk so quickly because the machine is a little too big for the size of the disk it has. It's 28" wide.

They're not a difficult item to replace.
I imagine creeping and or stopping/starting frequently would wear it out faster? We've got the thickest icy snow right now as it switched from rain to freezing rain to snow last major storm. I have to use first gear to cut through this stuff. Light and fluffy snow I could fly along at high speed.

I imagine creeping and or stopping/starting frequently would wear it out faster? We've got the thickest icy snow right now as it switched from rain to freezing rain to snow last major storm. I have to use first gear to cut through this stuff. Light and fluffy snow I could fly along at high speed.

Letting the wheels stall when you hit up against unmovable objects/surfaces is the biggest cause. Generally the friction disk will slip before the drive belt does.

You can buy a reasonable Chinese adjustable carb off Amazon.cs for under $30. You just need to get the model number from your engine. Looks like a Tecumseh. There is a good Canadian website for parts C-equipment.

I see your muffler glows red, mine does too. I adjusted the carb as per Donyboy73 and other YouTubers, so I doubt it's running rich.

Check snowblower forum for a lot of good advice.

That machine looms pretty beat up, but what can to do when you need something. The Canadian market is a bit more expensive. I bought my Toro back In October.

Back