What do you think my UOA will look like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2006 Camry with a 2AZ-FE.

I last changed the oil with ~160k miles on the clock with M1 5W-30 HM and an M1 EP filter. It now has 181k miles. The air filter box has been broken for the last 20k or so miles--one of the bolts sheared and now it's not forming a complete seal on three sides.

I let my mom drive it and I only check the condition of the car when I go home occasionally. At about 180k, I checked, and the car was down about 1.5-2 quarts of oil. I think I put some M1 0W-20 EP/HM in it or something. 1000 miles later and it's down about 0.75 quarts again. I gave my mother a new car and now I tool around in the Camry sometimes, and I put about 1000 miles on it. I drive it like I stole it. On the highway, if I need extra power, I'll drop the transmission down to 2nd. I've hit the fuel cutoff multiple times. I haven't fixed the airbox.

My friend said that my engine should have been trashed by now.

I disagree, I think the oil will be perfectly fine except maybe high silicones from the leaky air box. There's no unusual noises coming from the engine. The car has never seen any maintenance beyond oil changes--not even a car wash in its life. There's a reason half the clear is missing from the car.

What do you think?

I'm going to drive the s*** out of it for another few days and then probably drain some oil for the analysis at 182k.

Last edited:
It may come back with high silicon. The amount of added oil should dilute a lot and replace a lot of additives.

Why won't you fix the intake?

Driving to fuel limit isn't efficient and won't make it perform better. All you're doing is needlessly abusing the AT when you finally do shift...unless that's your goal, to trash this thing as much as possible to see what it can take.

It's sad to see such a young car neglected so badly...Quite a shame

My parents have neglected every car they've owned. No car that they've owned for over 7 years has any clear coat on it. I dread driving their old '99 Sienna. They never changed the windshield wipers on that vehicle, and now the windshield looks like it was attacked by 20 grit sandpaper for about 24 hours. Completely undrivable at night; almost crashed because of it. It's a young car too--only 160k miles on it. The good die young, don't they? Oh, and no timing belt change either, even at 160k miles.

They've moved onto neglecting a 2013 and 2018 RAV4. The Camry is expendable at this point. I'ts never been washed by them for one tihng. It's been backed into numerous poles by my parents--it has a yellow streak on a quarter panel from them backing into a gas station pole. It's been taken mudding or something by them--the entire front splash shields were torn off at one point. My father did the same thing with his brand new 2018 RAV4---less than 500 miles after purchase, he drove it over a concrete median and it ripped a hole in the fuel tank (thankfully not the oil pan). The front bumper is held on with 1 ziptie and a prayer on this Camry--numerous parking lot scrapes.

I'm just curious as to how much abuse it can take. The tires on the Camry--4 brand new Pirellis--are probably worth more than the car at this point. I've taken the Camry drifting in a dirt parking lot...kind of curious how long the Pirellis will last.

Oh, and the Camry has had a grand total of 0 check engine lights in its life. Not even an O2 sensor has gone out yet. If the O2 sensor went out, I would have known--my parents drove their Sienna with a bad O2 for at least 50,000 miles.

The Camry has had a bad squeal from the serpentine belt system--probably a bad pulley tensioner--for the last 50k or so miles. The alternator is also bad--sometimes, at idle, the voltage will dip to just 9 volts. At highway cruising speeds, the alternator pumps out about 12.3 volts. And yet there's nary a complaint from any of the onboard computers. The only thing that happens is that the A/C fan speed will dip slightly.

The Camry is a true testament to Toyota quality. I cannot imagine what my parents would have done if they drove, say, a Fiat. Probably would have left it on the side of the road a long time ago...

I haven't seen my father for 2 years now. The last time I saw him, I clayed and waxed his spanking new 2018 RAV4. He has since been daily driving it in St. Louis, MO. I just pray that the Mother's Synthetic Wax has held up...

Last edited:
In that case....

Carry on and report back your findings!

//

I guess when things don't break within what one would consider an acceptable amount of time, you don't feel the need to do anything to them, including routine maintenance. I only wish I could be so lucky and be blessed with vehicles that need zero upkeep, no matter how much attention I show them....

Originally Posted by Deontologist
2006 Camry with a 2AZ-FE.

I last changed the oil with ~160k miles on the clock with M1 5W-30 HM and an M1 EP filter. It now has 181k miles. The air filter box has been broken for the last 20k or so miles--one of the bolts sheared and now it's not forming a complete seal on three sides.

I let my mom drive it and I only check the condition of the car when I go home occasionally. At about 180k, I checked, and the car was down about 1.5-2 quarts of oil. I think I put some M1 0W-20 EP/HM in it or something. 1000 miles later and it's down about 0.75 quarts again. I gave my mother a new car and now I tool around in the Camry sometimes, and I put about 1000 miles on it. I drive it like I stole it. On the highway, if I need extra power, I'll drop the transmission down to 2nd. I've hit the fuel cutoff multiple times. I haven't fixed the airbox.

My friend said that my engine should have been trashed by now.

I disagree, I think the oil will be perfectly fine except maybe high silicones from the leaky air box. There's no unusual noises coming from the engine. The car has never seen any maintenance beyond oil changes--not even a car wash in its life. There's a reason half the clear is missing from the car.

What do you think?

I'm going to drive the s*** out of it for another few days and then probably drain some oil for the analysis at 182k.

I have no idea why you are driving the Camry knowing the air box seal is not right. Dirt that gets past the air filter ends up in the oil and while some will get filtered out, much will flow around the engine damaging bearings, etc. This sounds like an extra car for you. Donate it.

Maybe I'll be wrong but I say the analysis will be much better than many here think it will be.

Originally Posted by Donald

I have no idea why you are driving the Camry knowing the air box seal is not right. Dirt that gets past the air filter ends up in the oil and while some will get filtered out, much will flow around the engine damaging bearings, etc. This sounds like an extra car for you. Donate it.

It's not my car. It's my parents. They refuse to sell or donate it. I'm just using it as my daily beater now instead of my actual car. They're scared of donating or selling the car because they think that if the next person gets into an accident, it'll be on them. Which is true, if you don't do the title transfer properly. They are wary of any sort of title transfer. Even when I sold one of my cars to the junkyard years ago, they kept calling me and asking me if I had actually did the title transfer correctly because liability. Of course I did the title transfer correctly.

This kind of back-[censored]-wards thinking keeps them from replacing the scratched up windshield glass on their old Sienna...they are wary of glass shops and think that all shops are just perpetrating insurance fraud and that the cost of the glass will fall back on them. Never mind the fact that they have comprehensive insurance and in the state they live in, comprehensive insurance means free glass replacements. Can't fix stupid.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Deontologist
My parents have neglected every car they've owned. No car that they've owned for over 7 years has any clear coat on it. I dread driving their old '99 Sienna. They never changed the windshield wipers on that vehicle, and now the windshield looks like it was attacked by 20 grit sandpaper for about 24 hours. Completely undrivable at night; almost crashed because of it. It's a young car too--only 160k miles on it. The good die young, don't they? Oh, and no timing belt change either, even at 160k miles.

They've moved onto neglecting a 2013 and 2018 RAV4. The Camry is expendable at this point. I'ts never been washed by them for one tihng. It's been backed into numerous poles by my parents--it has a yellow streak on a quarter panel from them backing into a gas station pole. It's been taken mudding or something by them--the entire front splash shields were torn off at one point. My father did the same thing with his brand new 2018 RAV4---less than 500 miles after purchase, he drove it over a concrete median and it ripped a hole in the fuel tank (thankfully not the oil pan). The front bumper is held on with 1 ziptie and a prayer on this Camry--numerous parking lot scrapes.

I'm just curious as to how much abuse it can take. The tires on the Camry--4 brand new Pirellis--are probably worth more than the car at this point. I've taken the Camry drifting in a dirt parking lot...kind of curious how long the Pirellis will last.

Oh, and the Camry has had a grand total of 0 check engine lights in its life. Not even an O2 sensor has gone out yet. If the O2 sensor went out, I would have known--my parents drove their Sienna with a bad O2 for at least 50,000 miles.

The Camry has had a bad squeal from the serpentine belt system--probably a bad pulley tensioner--for the last 50k or so miles. The alternator is also bad--sometimes, at idle, the voltage will dip to just 9 volts. At highway cruising speeds, the alternator pumps out about 12.3 volts. And yet there's nary a complaint from any of the onboard computers. The only thing that happens is that the A/C fan speed will dip slightly.

The Camry is a true testament to Toyota quality. I cannot imagine what my parents would have done if they drove, say, a Fiat. Probably would have left it on the side of the road a long time ago...

I haven't seen my father for 2 years now. The last time I saw him, I clayed and waxed his spanking new 2018 RAV4. He has since been daily driving it in St. Louis, MO. I just pray that the Mother's Synthetic Wax has held up...

I hope I'm never anywhere near your folks while driving...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back