UPF48R; observations and (for the future) cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not open yet, but will be when I have the tool that comes in shortly(Wednesday at the latest)

This is a $16 MSRP filter that I bought for $8.13 and then paid using my preferred customer rewards card

cost to me= $0

I have high hopes for this filter, it seems to be a contradiction so far but I would love the idea of having a good quality OEM filter to use in the Caddy. It should also be noted that as of today, when I purchased the filter, I was informed that they are discontinuing this part number (whether there will be another gold PF48 or if they're introducing a new PF48 that will meet the ultra's guidelines wasn't clear)

Here are the initial noted features;
Box description notes nothing of efficiency rating but does mention the ADBV and the higher burst strength ratting
DSC_0326.jpg

The Front face
DSC_0327.jpg

Nothing here, move along
DSC_0329.jpg

The silicone ADBV-- this seems to be totally un-necessary given all of it's applications are mounted 100% upside down. Oil doesn't drain up into the sky last I checked.. I want to say that the base plate is coated though? It doesn't look like the mild steel of other filters I've seen recently.
DSC_0333.jpg

you can see through my poor photography skills that this indeed has a pressure bypass valve. Inital versions of this did not have such a valve, my guess is that there's a valve already somewhere in the drysump system of the LS7/9
DSC_0340.jpg

a small glimpse of the media and metal core

Looks like a PF48 , smells like a PF48 internally.
DSC_0341.jpg

so thus far we have what appears to be a $16 filter based on a $4 filter with an un-necessary ADBV upgrade and probably better sealing o-ring and thicker steel for the casing. Weight is fairly light. Couldn't commit to a number but the Napa Platinum and other high-mid tier products seemed to weight more.

I'll update the thread when I get the cutter, but suffice to say, I'm starting to appreciate the fact that this didn't cost me anything, and the Napa Platinum doesn't seem to be in any danger of finding a replacement.

Last edited:
Here's a schematic of an LS7 oiling system. I don't see a filter bypass valve in the block or engine system anywhere. So that's why the filters for the LS7/LS9 need a bypass valve in the filter itself.

There is however an oil cooler bypass valve, which has nothing to do with a filter bypass valve.

LS7_OilingDiagram.jpg

Quote:
TIP: The internal components are the same in both the UPF48R and PF48 oil filters. The UPF48R can be used in applications where the PF48 is specified.

Yup, I've seen that around too, but clearly it's a contradiction as
1) the ADBV is different
2) I'm frankly expecting the pressure valve to be set to a higher value since they've said before this filter was designed for higher volume and pressure

3) Both of these are internal parts.

There's another thread I responded to where someone claimed to have opened one of these up and it appeared to be the same as a M1.. but never followed up with evidence other than that statement. I plan to provide evidence. Thanks for the oil diagram, I find it very concerning that GM was shipping filters without a bypass valve in this case.

I presume by your forum name you lurk around corvette forums, and you further know that there are a lot of people that (probably waste) buy this filter because it's perceived to be better. It would be nice to provide evidence for or against that argument once and for all. That's my plan, because I was genuinely interested myself.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: blmlozz
Quote:
TIP: The internal components are the same in both the UPF48R and PF48 oil filters. The UPF48R can be used in applications where the PF48 is specified.

1) the ADBV is different
2) I'm frankly expecting the pressure valve to be set to a higher value since they've said before this filter was designed for higher volume and pressure

Are you saying the ADBV is different between a UPF48 and a UPF48R ... or between a PF48 and a UPF48R? I would imagine both UPF versions (48 & 48R) would have the silicone ADBV.

Thanks for the oil diagram, I find it very concerning that GM was shipping filters without a bypass valve in this case.

Sounds like a GM snafu there ... wonder if anyone blew up a filter because there was no bypass valve in those early filters.
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Quote:

1) the ADBV is different

Are you saying the ADBV is different between a UPF48 and a UPF48R ... or between a PF48 and a UPF48R? I would imagine both UPF versions would have the silicone ADBV.

between the UPF48R and PF48.

It's my understanding that Delco discontinued the Ultraguard brand years ago. I'm having trouble finding links more recent than 09/10 referencing the UPF48.

I'm unsure what you are suggesting then? That they're using PF48 filter mediums and left-over UPF-48 bases and drain valves?

Last edited:

Delco discontinued the Ultraguard brand many years ago I believe.

The UPF is the higher tier version of the PF. The UPF has always had a silicone ADBV if I recall correctly ... even 10+ years ago when the UPF series came out.

"Ultragard" wasn't a brand, but a series/model of filter designated by the "UPF" in the model number - the "U" in UPF means "Ultragaurd". The UPF series now is called "Ultragaurd Gold". It's right on the label in your photo. Just a more modern version of the Ultragaurd.

Delco discontinued the Ultraguard brand many years ago I believe.

The UPF is the higher tier version of the PF. The UPF has always had a silicone ADBV if I recall correctly ... even 10+ years ago when the UPF series came out.

"Ultragard" wasn't a brand, but a series/model of filter designated by the "UPF" in the model number. The UPF series now is called "Ultragaurd Gold". It's right on the label in your photo. Just a more modern version of the Ultragaurd.

right, but there's only one 'ultraguard gold' filter in production today

The UPF48R. There is no UPF48 currently being produced, or ultraguard gold version of any Delco filter that I've seen. There is only one name they use these days that's AC Delco Professional oil filters.

Quote:
"Ultragard" wasn't a brand, but a series/model of filter designated by the "UPF" in the model number

OK, what are we talking about here anyway? Semantics? I'm just not sure what what this has to do with the UPF48R. It's quoted as having the same internals as a PF 48. The ADBV is inside the filter and it is different than the PF48. Then you started talking about the Ultraguard's had silicone ADBV's and I got lost
smile.gif

I believe a tear-down probably isn't completely necessary at this point, since the ultraguard's clearly were donaldson media filters and the UPF48R is clearly not donaldson media (even though it costs as much as one) we can safely assume by identical internally they're referring to the PF-48's paper media being the same in the UPF48R in which case the only benefit you get here in LSX applications is the increased burst strength, which can be had from any premium filter for 50% less.

Still, it was a free filter, and it'll give my new cutter some practice.
wink.gif

Last edited:
right, but there's only one 'ultraguard gold' filter in production today

The UPF48R. There is no UPF48 currently being produced, or ultraguard gold version of any Delco filter that I've seen. There is only one name they use these days that's AC Delco Professional oil filters.

Could be ... but at one time there were UPF44s ... also called "Ultraguard Golds". Come to think of it, I think the UPF has always been called Ultragaurd Gold since it first came out 10+ years ago.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-parts-for-sale-wanted/2700026-4-upf-44-oil-filters.html

The ADBV is inside the filter and it is different than the PF48. Then you started talking about the Ultraguard's had silicone ADBV's and I got lost
smile.gif

Just saying I believe the UPF series has always had a silicone ADBV since the day it came out 10+ years ago, and that the plain Jane PF series does not have a silicone ADBV.

Any UPF, regardless if it's a 44, 48 or 48R should have a silicone ADBV. All the guts are different (including the media - UPF having wire backed synthetic media at one time, not sure about the new ones though) between a PF and a UPF ... they are two different filters.

Still, it was a free filter, and it'll give my new cutter some practice.
wink.gif

For sure ... will be interesting to see the guts. I'm sure there are photos of the guts of a PF48 someplace, so you should see a huge difference in the media too.

I believe a tear-down probably isn't completely necessary at this point, since the ultraguard's clearly were donaldson media filters and the UPF48R is clearly not donaldson media (even though it costs as much as one) we can safely assume by identical internally they're referring to the PF-48's paper media being the same in the UPF48R in which case the only benefit you get here in LSX applications is the increased burst strength, which can be had from any premium filter for 50% less.

That's a new one on me, I haven't used UPF filters for quite awhile now. At one time, the UPFs had wire backed synthetic media and ACDelco always raved about how well they flowed because of the synthetic media. If ACDelco is using paper media in the UPFs, then I'd use a different filter instead ... plenty of others out there with synthetic media for the same or less money.

That's a new one on me, I haven't used UPF filters for quite awhile now. At one time, the UPFs had wire backed synthetic media and ACDelco always raved about how well they flowed because of the synthetic media.

the filter media looks like PF-48 cellulose media to me. It's in one of the pictures I took, it's hard to see. It's definitively not the wire-backed synthetic media. I'm betting this thing is a thicker cased, silicone ADBV'd PF48 media filter for $16. We'll find out in about a week in any case.

Quote:
If ACDelco is using paper media in the UPFs, then I'd use a different filter instead ... plenty of others out there with synthetic media for the same or less money.

yup, 100% agree. That's why I didn't buy 2 and the Napa Platinum has stayed put.

Last edited:
the filter media looks like PF-48 cellulose media to me. It's in one of the pictures I took, it's hard to see. It's definitively not the wire-backed synthetic media. I'm betting this thing is a thicker cased, silicone ADBV'd PF48 media filter for $16. We'll find out in about a week in any case.

If so, that sucks for the price they are charging. I'd use a FRAM Xtended Guard (or something else with wire backed synthetic media is you needed it) before a UPF then. Dang ... had no idea the UPF has degraded in design since I used them.
eek.gif

Of just go with a PureOne ...
grin.gif

^^^Don't really need anything more than a little three banger for basic transport, so what's the point of the question?

it's a car designed with real track time in mind.

Originally Posted By: Slick17601
A dry sump on a street car? Why?

The same reason these cars have 505, and 638HP V8's..

Last edited:
The silicone ADBV-- this seems to be totally un-necessary given all of it's applications are mounted 100% upside down. Oil doesn't drain up into the sky last I checked.. I want to say that the base plate is coated though? It doesn't look like the mild steel of other filters I've seen recently.

If the UPF48R can be used anywhere a PF48 is required, then not all of its applications are mounted 100% upside down. GM uses this filter on many of its V6 engines too.

I've spent the morning looking for the forum thread that essentially said this was essentially just a standard PF48 with a silicone ADBV and a thicker can to increase the burst strength. It wasn't a BITOG thread, but I cant remember where I read it, so take my comments with a grain of salt.

The tapping plate looks exactly like the tapping plate on the standard PF48, even down to the ZZ stamp on it.

I would definitely use this filter if I found it for a good price. 16.00 MSRP seems to be a little high just to get an ADBV. I'll stick with my Napa Gold/P1, but I will keep my eye out.

One thing is for sure; With all of the performance engines using the UPF/PF48, I doubt we'll ever see it available as an e-core.

Quote:
If the UPF48R can be used anywhere a PF48 is required, then not all of its applications are mounted 100% upside down. GM uses this filter on many of its V6 engines too.

They use the PF48 maybe, but not the UPF48R. This filter has 2 intended applications, the LS7 and LS9. Both are mounted upside down. Thus the un-necessary ADBV upgrade.
Quote:
I would definitely use this filter if I found it for a good price. 16.00 MSRP seems to be a little high just to get an ADBV. I'll stick with my Napa Gold/P1, but I will keep my eye out.

with a PF48 filter medium, anything more than $4 is too much, and you shouldn't be putting any other $4 filter on an LS7/9 because of said increase in oil pressure/volume may lead to a failure, so then this filter becomes pointless. I'm hoping it's not the case, but if it is, no one(like a lot of the vette owners I found on corvette forums) should be paying $14-16 for a filter that's functionaly identical besides a thicker can versus a regular $4 PF-48, it just doesn't make sense.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back