Updates on GC 0W30 and 'extreme' cold

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

Haven't been on in a while as school was taking its toll. Before I go any further, I should be getting the GC results on GC next week or the one after, as for the MS still waiting on it to be fixed.

A while ago, during our heated debates on the virtues of GC I said that I would test it during the cold Montreal weather. And this is the informal data that I have collected with my 328i.

Sorry it's not more accurate but when it's -20C and colder, accuracy becomes less of an issue, while warming up is more important.

These are all cold start of course.

@ -20C, start up no problem took 2-2.5 minutes for the engine to be warmed up (driving under 3k rpm).

@-30C, start up still no problem, took 2.5-3 minutes for warm up, still driving under 3k rpm.

@-40C, start up....... Still no problem, no hesitation from the motor at all, starts up just like during the summer time. Took abour 3.5 minutes for the engine to be warm.

When I say warm, I mean that the needle is in the middle where it needs to be.

On a side note, Red Line's D4-ATF works wonders even at -40C, the shifter is really smooth.

Now, it's expected -45C tonight, but you know what, forget it, my car is staying inside.
wink.gif

Hope you gents enjoy this info.

And Happy New Year
smile.gif

Dr. T.

I am on the water front, where on average our temperatures are 5-10C colder than at Dorval airport (the closest weather network station).

I'll also add in a morning starting report.. at 50F, it worked great!

Seriously, though. Why does anyone choose to live in that climate!
tongue.gif
I guess that explains why it's so crowded in Southern California-- nobody likes sub-sub-zero weather.

ferb!

-40C

Careful, I believe that -40 is BELOW the freeze protection of Ethylene Glycol at 50%.

Got a block heater?.... What happens to the rad even if a block heater is used if it is that cold?

quote:

Originally posted by Ferb:
Seriously, though. Why does anyone choose to live in that climate!
tongue.gif
I guess that explains why it's so crowded in Southern California-- nobody likes sub-sub-zero weather.

ferb!

Why live where it is that cold - so you can brag that it is colder than the Mars landing zone
grin.gif

Seriously, I think most of the northeast US has been colder than average for the past week or so. I enjoy it, because after a few days of sub zero temps, 14F feels pretty warm.

fruit.gif
<- a dancing snowman

cangreylegend.

I am running a 65%-35% mix not 50%-50%. And no block heater
grin.gif

The one benefit of this cold weather is that it forces me to maintain my cars in top shape.

Where in Montreal are you because by "The Weather Network", the HIGH for Montreal 1/15/04 is -25 and the LOW is -30C...and this is the coldest it will get as it warms up for the weekend. The "wind chill" factor doesn't count.

-40C = -40F.
shocked.gif
I don't care what scale it's on. I'd be more worried about freezing my *** off then how well the car started
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back