Update to oil-guzzling Scion xB

Okay but there is no such thing as a “0 or 5 oil” that’s not how the winter ratings work. The winter rating affects the pumping and crankability at low temperatures. Some 0W-30 oils are quite a bit thicker than some other 5W-30 oils except at temperatures below -35 where the two winter ratings become relevant. IMO it’s kind of unfortunate that the winter ratings use a number because it causes the confusion where people think it’s a “0” or a “5” weight oil and subsequently think it’s “too thin”. As has been already mentioned on here it would be better if a different designation was used such as a letter.
It’s clear from your reply that I don’t understand how oil viscosity ratings work because that’s exactly what I thought. I guess maybe a blind hog just stumbles onto a nut occasionally because it sure seems like my engine is burning less of the 10w-30 than the 5w-30. Maybe at the next change I’ll go back to 5w-20 and see what happens.

Correct. The recommended oils are 5w-20 or 0w-20 but it has 10w-30 now. I don’t see myself ever using a 0w or 5w oil ever again.
They didn’t cause your problem. Why avoid them?

Edit: I see you answered.

My recommendation: if it is burning less with a XXW30, then, by all means, stick with the XXW30, but you could use a 0W30, 5W30 or 10W30, and likely get the same result. Lots of good oils out there in 5W30.

They didn’t cause your problem. Why avoid them?

Edit: I see you answered.

My recommendation: if it is burning less with a XXW30, then, by all means, stick with the XXW30, but you could use a 0W30, 5W30 or 10W30, and likely get the same result. Lots of good oils out there in 5W30.
I didn’t see a noticeable difference between 5w-20 and 5w-30 before, so perhaps the piston soak was the factor that made the difference and not the viscosity change. Time will tell, but as long as I’m not having to add a quart at every fill up it’s an improvement.

i´m curious if the thin oils can´t withstand high piston temps, and cover parts in crud..
congrats on backyard chemist victory

i´m curious if the thin oils can´t withstand high piston temps, and cover parts in crud..
congrats on backyard chemist victory
No I would says its the VM added. Many MULTI grade oils ARE formulated with lower viscosity fractions and the KV100 is achieved by adding a bunch of long "gooey" polymers that relax when warm and curl up and contract when cold. Some are shaped like spiders and their legs curl up, these tend to have better shear stability.
a 10W30 might be fomulated with heavier fractions and less a % VM " goo" added.

Sticky/stuck rings has been a big issue for decades - one of the bigger issues in presenting good engine performance.
Newer highly refined/modified base oilst end to have less "cleaning" ability and this task is left to the DP.

when oil starts to break down with acidification and oxidization they form sludge and gum precursors.

Its a tough environment in the sump cascading off the cyl heads near exhaust runners and the hot piston undersides.

Any update on this vehicle and oil consumption?
Somehow I spaced out when reading these two threads, I think this is where I remembered reading about piston soaks and 2AZ oil consumption

I also bought a 2009 xB, and did B12 piston soaks, but I have much higher mileage

Yours wouldn't happen to be Hypnotic Teal Mica with an automatic:love:

Mine no longer smokes like it did when I bought it, but I still think it's using oil

I can't daily drive it steadily, so it's hard to gauge

Any update on this vehicle and oil consumption?
Somehow I spaced out when reading these two threads, I think this is where I remembered reading about piston soaks and 2AZ oil consumption

I also bought a 2009 xB, and did B12 piston soaks, but I have much higher mileage

Yours wouldn't happen to be Hypnotic Teal Mica with an automatic:love:

Mine no longer smokes like it did when I bought it, but I still think it's using oil

I can't daily drive it steadily, so it's hard to gauge
Between the piston soak and a flush with BG EPR I’m at about 1200 miles per quart using Ow-20. I’m going to give it another EPR treatment at the next change and refill with 5w-30 to see if I can do even better, but if 1200 is the best I can get then i‘m still happy enough that I’m planning on keeping it.

I tried 0w-20 this time because I wanted to see what the worst case consumption number would be.

Back