Update on my smoking Mustang

Status
Not open for further replies.
Original thread here

So I bought a Mustang about 3 months ago that, as I came to find out, burned about 1 quart/1k miles. This annoyed me so I switched to MaxLife to try to slow down the consumption and ended up turning it into a smoker. It did not smoke at startup, but after taking some video and having my wife drive behind me, we found out that it only smoked when taking off from a light or revving it in neutral after idling for a while, so I guessed (well, more like hoped and prayed) that it was just bad valve seals.

So during the week between Chistmas and New Years, I took the valve covers off and using an overpriced special tool, was able to compress the springs and replace the seals with the cams still on the car. I used a compression tester with a quick-connect on it and my air compressor to hold the valves shut while I worked; this, combined with the fact that I could lock the engine in place by putting it in gear, meant that I didn't have to worry too much about finding TDC for each cylinder, rather I could just rotate the engine until the cam lobes were out of the way, put it in gear, apply air, and proceed.

The hardest part of the whole job was prying out the old seals. The directions I had found online said to use an angled set of needle nose pliers, but there was no room for them on the rear 2 cylinders of each bank. The write-up was for a Town Car, whose engine bay is surely bigger, so that might have worked for them, but not for me. I was able to get them all out by prying on them with different sized screwdrivers, using the head or whatever else I could find for leverage.

Before I started, I bought a bag of 8 extra keepers, but I didn't end up needing any. I was able to get them off very easily with a magnetic pick up tool from Harbor Freight, and put them back on with a combination of a magnetic screwdriver and a tube of red tacky grease.

The seals I took off were very dark brown and had hardened to a consistency closer to plastic than rubber. I could squeeze them with great effort, but they did not return to their original round shape once I did so. No doubt they were not sealing properly.

It's also a good thing I bought new valve cover gaskets before starting the job because they literally fell apart when I removed the valve covers. I knew they were leaking, but didn't know they were that bad.

I started it up for the first time, drove it until it was good and warmed up, then let it idle and revved it and there was absolutely no smoke. I've driven about 500 miles since then, and the oil level has not moved from the full mark on the dipstick. Before, it would have been about halfway down by now. I think I can safely consider this fixed!

As an aside, I read numerous posts about this happening on older (early to mid '90s) 4.6 engines due to a defect, but I thought it had been fixed by 2000. I wonder why mine failed?

The valve seals were 16 years or so old, it can happen.

I would run some PEA based fuel cleaner through it to clean up the valves and combustion chamber from the excessive oil consumption as well.

PolyEther Amine - It's excellent at cleaning the fuel system and things like valve deposits and combustion chamber deposits. There are many on the market. Some are a lot better than others so do your research. One good one is made by a company that sponsors BITOG.

If you have access to Amsoil their Performance Improver (P.I.) is excellent. I cleaned a clogged fuel injector with it.

Last edited:
Did you get the Viton valve stem seals? I've done this many times on 302s but never on a 4.6, so it was nice to read. And yes, the engine bays on OHC Mustangs can be quite tight... just be glad you didn't have to do it on a 4.6 4V with 32 seals!
smile.gif

I got the Fel-Pro ones that say "improved design." I figured that means that they fixed whatever Ford got wrong with the original ones, and Fel-Pro tends to make good gaskets and seals.

Believe me I'm very glad I don't have the 32v DOHC. I'd probably still be working on it!

Good going, awesome fix and write up! I bought the OTC compression tool for other cars and thought I'll be using it more than once but good to have just in case.

Originally Posted by Anduril

As an aside, I read numerous posts about this happening on older (early to mid '90s) 4.6 engines due to a defect, but I thought it had been fixed by 2000. I wonder why mine failed?

One would think that after making engines for 100+ years Ford would have figured out how to make valve stem seals that last. I guess that is asking too much from them.

Did this job on a 94 Crown Vic and my 96 Mustang. Takes a little effort but I don't remember either one being too terrible. I did have good success with a long set of angled needle nose pliers. Did the Mustang around 10 years and 50k miles ago. Wish I remembered what brand seals I used as they are still working perfectly.

I do NOT remember the spring compressor being that expensive though! I also picked up the Anderson Motorsports cam holders and swapped PI cams in without having to remove the timing covers on the Mustang
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Dave1027

One would think that after making engines for 100+ years Ford would have figured out how to make valve stem seals that last. I guess that is asking too much from them.

I've had two 2001 5.4 modulars that had bad valve stem seals. Looking around online it seems to be something that affects all of the older Modulars

Glad to Hear, Good job!
thumbsup2.gif

Different engine but last year I also replaced the valve seals in my Explorer using the Fel-Pro seals.
No more noticeable oil burning and No more smoking.here

Just read your post and I, too, was getting pinging under load, partcularly when driving up hills. I know there's carbon crap in my combustion chambers (saw it when removing spark plugs) so following the advice of another poster I'll probably run a few tanks of fuel system cleaner through it and hopefully that will get rid of it.

Just read your post and I, too, was getting pinging under load, partcularly when driving up hills. I know there's carbon crap in my combustion chambers (saw it when removing spark plugs) so following the advice of another poster I'll probably run a few tanks of fuel system cleaner through it and hopefully that will get rid of it.

Could also be all the oil that was burning some of that was getting recirculated back into the engine via the EGR and now the EGR passages are partially clogged up as well. Not enough to throw a code but just enough to cause slight pinging. If it's not the combustion chamber deposits. I think fuel system cleaner containing a good amount of PEA along with some spirited driving is in order.

Clogged EGR passages can cause pinging as well. Happened all the time on my Caravan which was a really bad oil burner in the 1980's. I eventually gave up and just left the EGR plugged and retarded the timing (distributor cap) to deal with it because the passage was a real PITA to clean.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back